Starting 5 2021-2022

sure, everything spot is up for competition.  i think on a message board we just give our opinions for what they are worth, which isn't much!  that said, in order of how sure i would be in who starts:

1 TJD

2 XJ

tough from there, but maybe...

3 Stewart

4 Thompson

5 Hunter

I will be interested to see who pushes closest to get into that group.  Possibly as others are saying, Race won't start because we'll want Hunter at 4 for a better shooting look.  My current bet would be that Race doesn't plan on letting that happen if he is coming back.  My bet would be he works hard enough and improves his shooting enough to get the nod.  I was looking forward to Lander taking the reins, but can't see him starting over XJ or starting together.  I like Leal, but he needs to be a shooter off the bench.  I like that everyone is so high on JG upside, but hard to see him starting over Hunter or Thompson at this point.  However, as much as I am not a fan of a lot of subbing, a 2nd unit of

Lander, Leal, RP or Galloway, Geronimo, and Brunk!?  That's pretty nice!  Good competition in practice!  

39 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I think CMW returns use to CBK days,  starting five:

? X 5

As CBK said, "I don't determine who starts, the player do."

i definitely like that motivation, but that still doesn't usually change starters often.  maybe one spot here and there, but i struggle to think of many teams who just have a rotating starting lineup.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

New coaching staff and style.  Some new players in the mix.  I think this is how Mike Woodson sees things right now, and if so, I agree with him.

TJD

?

?

?

?

Not as much of a lock as TJD, but I would be shocked if XJ is not pretty much penciled in as a starter ad well.

• Like 2

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

Not as much of a lock as TJD, but I would be shocked if XJ is not pretty much penciled in as a starter ad well.

I think the same about Stewart.

That leaves you with someone at the 4; is this Race? Is this Hunter or Geronimo? Does someone like Brooks transfer in?

And then one more wing or guard; this could also be any of the guys mentioned above, sans Race. Could also be Leal, Galloway, or even RP or Lander. 

I think we are looking at some really healthy competition for the last two spots and that is a very good thing, IMO. 

• Like 1

Unless someone is added that is a game changer or clearly better than the current option I'd think we are most likely to see the following as the best combination of offense and defense:

XJ, Stewart, Hunter, Race, and TJD

The size of this lineup works and allows RP to come in as a quality ball handler and defensive stopper at guard while Lander can continue to develop. If Lander were to take a huge step forward with his shot and adds enough size to actually defend someone it could blow this idea up and let's hope that happens.

Another change is they won't be forced to rotate Race and TJD inside like last year because they had no depth. Now they can start both and then move TJD around on offense for the best match up. It helps on D because they can go big with a healthy Brunk (?) and a 6'9 Duncomb without forcing TJD to guard every big in the conference for 40 minutes or ask Race to guard guys 30+ pounds bigger than him.

Note: They really need one more inside presence that can defend and rebound. Counting on Brunk's back to hold up all season is risky. Asking Duncomb as a freshman to do too much is also concerning. With one more big they'd be in much better position.

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

I hope the starting 5 is fluid based on matchups and who's earned it in practice/recent games. It would be great to see: XJ, RP, PS, RT, TJD one game and then KL, XJ, PS, JH, TJD the next if the players earned it and/or matchup dictated it.

i agree and when you're talking one or two spots, but the other 3 or 4 are pretty much going to be in there it is realistic.  practice should definitely dictate it, but the cream usually rises to the top for most games.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Depending on Lander's confidence 

Lander 

X

Stewart

Hunter

Trayce

the people saying XJ and KL together - i hope this could work because i am all for having the best 5 in regardless of position, BUT... the way Lander shoots it outside and XJ not having a high 3 point %, could be tough in together with TJD and then possibly even Thompson?  in addition, i have not seen XJ, but Lander only knows playing with the ball in his hands.  it's an awful tough transition to get away from that.  

beginning of season:
X
RP*
Stewart*
Race
TJD
First off the bench: Jerome

End of season:
X
Lander
Stewart*
Jerome*
TJD
First off the bench: Race

*= shooter. Most line-ups will require 2 good shooters to be on the floor at the same time. I expect for Leal to get a little boost in minutes. 

Other thoughts:
-I don't see Race, Hunter and TJD on the floor at the same time
-I think RP and X will play well together
-Yes, I'm going to consider Rob a shooter.....just wait. 
-We still need another shooter, IMO

Edited by tdhoosier

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

Johnson and TJD are the locks... Johnson is now our best guard by far.

The other three spots are up for grabs.  Parker probably starts just because we’ll need the spacing.  I’m not sure I see Lander starting alongside Johnson at this point.  Remains to be seen if Lander will improve enough to be a high impact starter by next season, and regardless, it’ll be tough to play two point guards who can’t shoot at the same time.  Assuming Johnson, Stewart, and TJD all start, that leaves another guard/wing and a forward — I see Lander, Phinisee, or Hunter starting at the third guard/wing spot, and Hunter or Thompson starting at the 4.

Any way you slice it, we should be improved next year, but it’s not an elite starting lineup.