Starting 5 2021-2022

9 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Yes those are freshman vs a 3 year starting sr.  And i would bet real money that with a different coach, all 3 of them would have been better than Rob by the end of the year.

To me Rob P has been a major disappointment so far in his IU career but I will give him the benefit of the doubt of a dumb offensive system.  I yelled for two yrs how he being a 4 star Indiana recruit consistently only scores 2 pts a game!!!!  I really hope a new system will show all of HSN his real potential as he has the make up to be elite, if he wants to!!!!  Time will tell on Rob P but he has my support! 

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Johnson/RP

Stewart/Lander/Leal

Bates/Hunter/Galloway

Race./Geronimo

TJD/Duncomb

i don't know if you mean it this way, but if you're looping KL as a backup wing, i really can't see him anywhere other than PG.  he's so small, has an awful outside shot, and is used to having the ball in his hands.  if he or Rob get minutes as a SG/Wing, i think i could definitely see Rob doing that before KL.  just my opinion.  this looks like good depth to me though.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't know if you mean it this way, but if you're looping KL as a backup wing, i really can't see him anywhere other than PG.  he's so small, has an awful outside shot, and is used to having the ball in his hands.  if he or Rob get minutes as a SG/Wing, i think i could definitely see Rob doing that before KL.  just my opinion.  this looks like good depth to me though.  

I agree with this...

And I'm gonna pump the brakes on Bates...he's a wonderful get for us, but to thrust him into the starting lineup is a bit premature, I think...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with this...

And I'm gonna pump the brakes on Bates...he's a wonderful get for us, but to thrust him into the starting lineup is a bit premature, I think...

let's just keep agreeing for a few minutes here... i'm so excited in hopes that he's ready, but it does seem a bit premature.  

1 minute ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Johnson/Lander

Bates/RP/Leal

Stewart/Geronimo/Galloway

Hunter/Race

TJD/Logan

could easily flip Hunter and Race. Geronimo could slide to 4 spot. Could flip Bates and Stewart as well. Johnson could flip to 2 spot. Lots of flexibility I see here. 

now this i 100% agree with other than if Duncomb isn't ready, you can also slide Race in as the back-up 5.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with this...

He's a borderline 5 star at a position of need and probably the best shooter on the team. 

Rather than pointing out he may not be ready, what is your more likely starter at that spot?

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He's a borderline 5 star at a position of need and probably the best shooter on the team. 

Rather than pointing out he may not be ready, what is your more likely starter at that spot?

Any one of Rob, Khristian, or Jerome...

He was a great player in high school...come on...You know that doesn't always translate to the college game...

I'm just not ready to say that a kid I've never seen play in a college game should start over a few who have...

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Any one of Rob, Khristian, or Jerome...

He was a great player in high school...come on...You know that doesn't always translate to the college game...

I'm just not ready to say that a kid I've never seen play in a college game should start over a few who have...

I'm not sure any of those three have shown anything at the college level to show they can start at the 2/3. In fact, I'd go as far as to say all three of them have shown, at the college level, they have no business starting at the 2/3. 

I can see Jerome starting at the 4, I said as much in my lineup. I guess he could start at the 3 with Race at the 4, but that's limiting our ball handling in our starting lineup and upfront depth a lot if we do that. 

It's pretty hard to envision a scenario where Rob or Khristian starts alongside XJ given none of the three are knock down shooters, and I really can't see either of them beating him out. Especially Rob. But if one of them starts it's likely over XJ.

I'd say Leal or Galloway could be in the running for that spot, but I personally think Bates is better than both and is the most likely to get that start. 

• Thanks 1

I know many say it every year, but it’d be nice to have a situational starting line-up based on the matchups. We know Archie did definitely NOT do this. 

That said, I guess that I don’t pay attention that much, but do other coaches in conference base their starting lineups on matchups? Or is a situational starting line up more of a pipe dream hypothesized primarily by fans?

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm not sure any of those three have shown anything at the college level to show they can start at the 2/3. In fact, I'd go as far as to say all three of them have shown, at the college level, they have no business starting at the 2/3. 

I can see Jerome starting at the 4, I said as much in my lineup. I guess he could start at the 3 with Race at the 4, but that's limiting our ball handling in our starting lineup and upfront depth a lot if we do that. 

It's pretty hard to envision a scenario where Rob or Khristian starts alongside XJ given none of the three are knock down shooters, and I really can't see either of them beating him out. Especially Rob. But if one of them starts it's likely over XJ.

I'd say Leal or Galloway could be in the running for that spot, but I personally think Bates is better than both and is the most likely to get that start. 

When I get to see Bates play, I might be changing my mind, but all I see now is a damn good high school player who could use some muscle and hasn't played against B1G caliber competition...Do you think right out of the gate this kid is even going to be in Rob Phinisee's league on the defensive end?

And I do expect to see an improvement on the offensive end in Rob, Khristian, and Jerome...As well as Anthony and Trey...

I think we all saw what an experienced group can do not only in B1G play, but in the tournament...Experience wins...

I am thrilled Tamar committed to IU, but let's at least see him on the floor versus college competition before we get carried away...

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When I get to see Bates play, I might be changing my mind, but all I see now is a damn good high school player who could use some muscle and hasn't played against B1G caliber competition...Do you think right out of the gate this kid is even going to be in Rob Phinisee's league on the defensive end?

And I do expect to see an improvement on the offensive end in Rob, Khristian, and Jerome...As well as Anthony and Trey...

I think we all saw what an experienced group can do not only in B1G play, but in the tournament...Experience wins...

I am thrilled Tamar committed to IU, but let's at least see him on the floor versus college competition before we get carried away...

I don't think anyone is getting carried away, I think when you look at our needs he is the best fit on the roster to fill that spot. Does it mean he will? No, and I'd say there is some level of question mark with every projected starter not named TJD.

Of course I don't think he will be on Rob's league defensively, Rob is likely our best defender. Is that the standard for starting now? Because Rob, to this point in his career, has shown to be a negative on the offensive end. For whatever question marks Bates needs to answer, Rob needs to not answer question marks but changed his answer to answered questions about his play. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think anyone is getting carried away, I think when you look at our needs he is the best fit on the roster to fill that spot. Does it mean he will? No, and I'd say there is some level of question mark with every projected starter not named TJD.

Of course I don't think he will be on Rob's league defensively, Rob is likely our best defender. Is that the standard for starting now? Because Rob, to this point in his career, has shown to be a negative on the offensive end. For whatever question marks Bates needs to answer, Rob needs to not answer question marks but changed his answer to answered questions about his play. 

I also like that he played at IMG from the standpoint of the level of competition. It didn't appear in his JR season highlights he was playing much competition. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If it makes you feel any better, I wouldn't buy a car from Vroom or Carvana either ;) 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Trust me, there is no such thing as a sure thing , but he sure looks like a player!

Agreed! I like your judgement. Had it been  @5fouls definition of a sure thing...I might question it a bit more lol.

All I know is the kid filled a need on the team and will make us better. Starter or contributor minutes he should be a good one for us.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed! I like your judgement. Had it been  @5fouls definition of a sure thing...I might question it a bit more lol.

All I know is the kid filled a need on the team and will make us better. Starter or contributor minutes he should be a good one for us.

You know the old saying.  

The only sure things in life are death and divorce.  

• Haha 1