Starting 5 2021-2022

5 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Looks like a  4 guard offense to me.                               

Definitely a 1 in 4 out for sure...whether that is Hunter or Galloway or Geronimo at the 4th spot....and whether its Tamar, Rob, Khristian or Anthony playing with and backing up X and Stewie. 

38 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If you're going with that analogy, this is Vroom vs the junkyard with Rob...

Now come on...

The kid lost confidence...It happens...But I think he's gonna rebound this year...

I can go back to threads about him when HE first committed, and I bet I'd see the same excitement and expectations we have for Tamar Bates...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I know many say it every year, but it’d be nice to have a situational starting line-up based on the matchups. We know Archie did definitely NOT do this. 

That said, I guess that I don’t pay attention that much, but do other coaches in conference base their starting lineups on matchups? Or is a situational starting line up more of a pipe dream hypothesized primarily by fans?

i personally don't think many do that often.  not saying never, but i think most go with very similar starting lineups other than injury situations.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Now come on...

The kid lost confidence...It happens...But I think he's gonna rebound this year...

I can go back to threads about him when HE first committed, and I bet I'd see the same excitement and expectations we have for Tamar Bates...

I hope he rebounds, but that's just as much of a question mark as Bates. Factor in we need Bates skillset more than we need another PG with XJ in the fold and I think Bates is a safer bet to start. 

And if we were as excited about Rob committing as we are Bates then that's just silly. One was just outside the top 100, one is just outside being a 5 star. Their profiles coming out of high school aren't comparable. 

9 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Anyone who does not expect Rob to be a major contributor did not listen to Dane Fife's press conference

But who has said he won't be? Thinking he isn't beating out XJ and thinking we won't start two point guards is a lot different than thinking he isn't going to contribute. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

My being wrong about what Rob has brought to the table doesn't mean the post you quoted was wrong. I don't find Rob and Bates to be comparable coming out of high school just because I liked Rob. 

That's not what I said though...I said the excitement and the hyperbole were just as prevalent when he was recruited as they are now with Bates...

Look, I'm as excited about it as anyone, but I want to see guys play (not just some highlight reel) before I make any assessment as to starting potential...

11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

okay, but what was he supposed to say?  "Rob just really isn't very good and I don't see him having a big role?"

He did not have to mention Rob at all. The question was about MSU facing IU last year and what he thought of the IU roster. He chose to lead off with Rob not hawking the ball being why MSU won last year.

He did not have to say things like: "toughness with Rob Phinisee as the head of the snake..."

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's not what I said though...I said the excitement and the hyperbole were just as prevalent when he was recruited as they are now with Bates...

Look, I'm as excited about it as anyone, but I want to see guys play (not just some highlight reel) before I make any assessment as to starting potential...

And I disagree, not that it's any predictor of success anyway. But I also don't think people were wrong on the role Rob played as a freshman, the issue is Rob has regressed offensively since his freshman year. 

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And I disagree, not that it's any predictor of success anyway. But I also don't think people were wrong on the role Rob played as a freshman, the issue is Rob has regressed offensively since his freshman year. 

i'm not sure i've ever seen either of you back down, so this makes me start thinking... wonder what the record for two people going back and forth over one debate is?

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm not sure i've ever seen either of you back down, so this makes me start thinking... wonder what the record for two people going back and forth over one debate is?

I have no idea but I'll say this...

I enjoy @KoB2011's contribution. He has strong convictions and supports them. That's fine. Differences of opinion are the life's blood of forums.

I just caution about getting too high on a kid on day 1. Let's let the kid come in and see what he can do. Everything so far is very promising. But any step up in competition is tough and takes adjustments. 

Edited by IUFLA

So this gets really interesting.  I still personally think:

Johnson

Stewart

Bates

Hunter/Thompson

TJD

But could Kopp start at the 4 instead?  I guess Hunter could put in work and be a "3" this season?  I often say I am not a fan of a lot of subbing, but dang, who would the bottom 3 of this 13 player group be?  I hate to mention names because it will stir up arguing, but I mean is it Galloway, Duncomb, and Rob?  Galloway started some last year.  Rob started 23 games last season.  Duncomb fits a positional need, has good size, and seems fairly skilled.  I hope we run like crazy and pressure more with max effort on the defensive end as getting tired shouldn't be that big of a deal.  Could have a 2nd team of:

Lander

Leal

Hunter

Geronimo

Thompson

Competition in practice should be intense.    

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

But could Kopp start at the 4 instead?  I guess Hunter could put in work and be a "3" this season?  I often say I am not a fan of a lot of subbing, but dang, who would the bottom 3 of this 13 player group be?  I hate to mention names because it will stir up arguing, but I mean is it Galloway, Duncomb, and Rob?  Galloway started some last year.  Rob started 23 games last season.  Duncomb fits a positional need, has good size, and seems fairly skilled.  I hope we run like crazy and pressure more with max effort on the defensive end as getting tired shouldn't be that big of a deal.  Could have a 2nd team of:

You talking about number of games started got me thinking how experienced our roster is now. Between Kopp, TJD, Race, X, Rob and Stewart the number of minutes played is crazy high. 

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

You talking about number of games started got me thinking how experienced our roster is now. Between Kopp, TJD, Race, X, Rob and Stewart the number of minutes played is crazy high. 

Kopp led NW in minutes played.  Johnson played 29 mpg.  In 19-20, Stewart played 36mpg.  TJD, Race, and Rob are all returning starters.  Stewart is a Senior.  Thompson Sr.  Hunter Jr.  TJD Jr.  Rob Sr.   Johnson Sr.  Kopp Sr. 

• Like 1

So while I'm getting all excited (and I am)... one thing that's a little scary is Franklin shot 42.4% from 3 and Al 38% last year.  They are both gone and we replace them with Stewart 34.8%, Kopp 33%, Johnson 32.1%, and all I can find for Bates is stats from his Jr. year, but that was 44%.  That's solid, but he is a freshman, so a little unknown.  For another reference point Hunter was 34.2%.  Granted he is back, but point being, we only added a freshman and a 34.8% shooter that would have been in our top 3 of what was a very poor shooting team.  Before I get attacked, yes, I do think experience will help, different system will help, etc.  

• Like 1

Here's my thought:

X, Stewart, Kopp, TJD, and one of Rob/Lander will be our starters.

Bates, Leal, Jerome can come in and hit shots. Galloway will get minutes just by pure hustle/IQ.

Logan, Race, Geronimo come in to defend the post. This is important because since we added 3 new scoring threats, we won't need our bigs besides TJD to score.

10 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Here's my thought:

X, Stewart, Kopp, TJD, and one of Rob/Lander will be our starters.

Bates, Leal, Jerome can come in and hit shots. Galloway will get minutes just by pure hustle/IQ.

Logan, Race, Geronimo come in to defend the post. This is important because since we added 3 new scoring threats, we won't need our bigs besides TJD to score.

you definitely could be right, but if it's KL or RP playing with X, i don't see it being Lander.  i really think he and X need to be primarily on the ball not wing.