Tamar Bates Commits to INDIANA!!

1 minute ago, WRSMick55 said:

No negativity toward you and you’re post; I would have liked him to stay ( go Cathedral)but just don’t care about players once they leave whatever team I root for.😎

Oh I don't either. I was just saying.. if we can't keep Franklin, Bates was probably "next" on my wish list. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Liked this too...

“(Coach Woodson) just said that in terms of me personally that I fit his coaching philosophy and that’s just getting to it on both ends of the floor," said Bates. "Playing really good defense and then having a spaced, fast paced, ball screen setting offense. He wants to implement a lot of NBA stuff in our offense, and we are going to have to buy in to playing defense and that’s not a problem for me, I enjoy defense.”

“I’m excited to play for such a historic program when you are talking about people like coach Bobby Knight and as much as they have won. I’m just trying to go there and add to what they have there now because they have some really good players. The goal is to bring Indiana basketball back to where it was and I’m going to go in with that same mentality to carry it on.”

Yea I really like this young man and his addition to the program. 

11 minutes ago, ephul said:

Unbelievable pickup. In the past, being "in on" a recruit like this would mean we simply were in his final list of teams.

To be able to get a kid like this is incredible. He's exactly what we need.

Get a stretch 4 and we are set.

Doesn’t he play with this kid?? Efton Reid

not a stretch 4 but well...why not.

• Like 2

Wowwww, this is HUGE.  Landing top 50 guard talent like this consistently is the key to maintaining a successful program, and this kid immediately fills our biggest need at the guard spot.  Our group of guards should go from a huge weakness last season to a strength next season.  Can’t wait to see them play in the new offense.

And we landed Bates out of nowhere with no smoke beforehand?  This coaching staff is obviously connecting with recruits in a major way — getting those Juwan Howard vibes now.  Exciting stuff.

• Like 7

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

Wowwww, this is HUGE.  Landing top 50 guard talent like this consistently is the key to maintaining a successful program, and this kid immediately fills our biggest need at the guard spot.  Our group of guards should go from a huge weakness last season to a strength next season.  Can’t wait to see them play in the new offense.

And we landed Bates out of nowhere with no smoke beforehand?  This coaching staff is obviously connecting with recruits in a major way — getting those Juwan Howard vibes now.  Exciting stuff.

It’s nice to land a stud like this because it seems to open up the trust factor for other top 50 recruits down the road. Bates believes in our coaching staff. 

• Like 5

I'm impressed how quickly we got a need filled. This team needed a shooter for four years.... And we never really got one. I would've taken a Matt Roth type kid if we had to. Woodson just landed an extremely athletic, top 50 shooter. Really excited to see how we decides to spend that last scholarship.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ephul said:

I'm impressed how quickly we got a need filled. This team needed a shooter for four years.... And we never really got one. I would've taken a Matt Roth type kid if we had to. Woodson just landed an extremely athletic, top 50 shooter. Really excited to see how we decides to spend that last scholarship.

Land an athletic shot blocking big in the transfer portal and let’s roll.  Even as it is, this should be a really tough and well-balanced roster.

A starting lineup of X, Bates, Stewart, Thompson, and TJD gives you a dynamic play-making PG flanked by two shooters with a solid defender/hustle guy at the 4 and a dominant All-American at the 5.  Then you have a hopefully much improved Lander backing up X, Hunter and Leal providing more shooting off the bench, Phinisee and Galloway being plus defenders that Mike Woodson can play with shooters around them, and two young forwards with a lot of talent in Geronimo and Duncomb coming off the bench as well.  With the addition of Bates, I don’t see many holes in this roster.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Land an athletic shot blocking big in the transfer portal and let’s roll.  Even as it is, this should be a really tough and well-balanced roster.

A starting lineup of X, Bates, Stewart, Thompson, and TJD gives you a dynamic play-making PG flanked by two shooters with a solid defender/hustle guy at the 4 and a dominant All-American at the 5.  Then you have a hopefully much improved Lander backing up X, Hunter and Leal providing more shooting off the bench, Phinisee and Galloway being plus defenders that Mike Woodson can play with shooters around them, and two young forwards with a lot of talent in Geronimo and Duncomb coming off the bench as well.  With the addition of Bates, I don’t see many holes in this roster.

Whoa, you being optimistic? Things are looking up.   😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I think it's fair to say very few of us expected CMW to hit the ground running quite like this.  So impressive.

A useful reminder that people (e.g. Dolson) get paid a LOT of money to figure this out and as shocking as it may sound, he might know a little more about basketball than we do.

It’s like in the movies......I can’t get this image out of my head.....Coach Woodson, Coach Fife, Coach Rosemond, Coach Hunter and Coach Matta walking into a crowded room.... (all in a regal, slow motion pace)....The crowd is in awe. 🤩🤓