Tamar Bates Commits to INDIANA!!

2 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Mike Woodson's lone promise to Tamar Bates sounds a lot like the way Bob Knight once recruited, and probably the way Knight recruited Woodson.

“Coach Woodson stressed to me that I will become a better man"

And that was the main thing Bates needed to hear.

There is a huge need for creating better young men in this world! College is suppose to be about teaching you and preparing you for life. Kid that is that good a basketball player will be great with just about any good coach. But what better to prepare you for life and nba then a man with the life experiences of Coach Woodson.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Mike Woodson's lone promise to Tamar Bates sounds a lot like the way Bob Knight once recruited, and probably the way Knight recruited Woodson.

I liked everything I read. Kid sounds like an absolute winner with some old school mentality, and I liked the sound of Woodson's recruiting approach.  Really fun read, thanks.

• Like 2

Alright, just finished watching the highlight tapes... Are we really comparing Phinisee to this kid?  Phinisee is not on Bates’ level, “tough on defense” upperclassman or not.  He just doesn’t have that kind of frame, athleticism, or shooting ability.

We’ve seen what Phinisee is... He’s just not Big Ten starter material.  But the nice thing is that there should be no preconceived notions or misplaced allegiance to the upperclassmen with the new staff.  Whoever wins the starting spot in practice will get it.  My money’s on X and Bates.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Alright, just finished watching the highlight tapes... Are we really comparing Phinisee to this kid?  Phinisee is not on Bates’ level, “tough on defense” upperclassman or not.  He just doesn’t have that kind of frame, athleticism, or shooting ability.

We’ve seen what Phinisee is... He’s just not Big Ten starter material.  But the nice thing is that there should be no preconceived notions or misplaced allegiance to the upperclassmen with the new staff.  Whoever wins the starting spot in practice will get it.  My money’s on X and Bates.

He reminds me of Vic.

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Bingo!

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Shawshank, Tombstone and Forrest Gump cannot be passed up by me, The Big Lebowski also if no one else is home

Forrest Gump is my #1 movie. I really relate alot to the character.  The one thing people dont understand about Forrest is, he wasnt stupid, he was honest, loyal, and faithful.  He never did anything stupid, he only did what he thought was right. 

Too many people miss the point of the story.  

I cant help but tear up a bit with forrest and bubba in the river scene.  

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I agree, but also think that we’ll run a three guard set more often than not... especially given the length. I think Lander takes a huge step in the right direction as well. Rob, Parker and Leal will all have active roles too, I would imagine. KL showed some fantastic small glimpses of what he can become for a stretch this past season. Personally, I’d look for Gerome to play a bigger role in the post next season. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

And what’s scary is we are already getting to the point in three weeks that if a kid is worried about playing time and transfers we don’t have to freak out. We have so much more depth and the recruiting no longer scares me. With the staff put together I see lots of recruiting wins. The only thing we have to worry about in the future is if Hunter wants to be a head coach. We haven’t had that in forever as our only worry.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Liked this too...

“(Coach Woodson) just said that in terms of me personally that I fit his coaching philosophy and that’s just getting to it on both ends of the floor," said Bates. "Playing really good defense and then having a spaced, fast paced, ball screen setting offense. He wants to implement a lot of NBA stuff in our offense, and we are going to have to buy in to playing defense and that’s not a problem for me, I enjoy defense.”

“I’m excited to play for such a historic program when you are talking about people like coach Bobby Knight and as much as they have won. I’m just trying to go there and add to what they have there now because they have some really good players. The goal is to bring Indiana basketball back to where it was and I’m going to go in with that same mentality to carry it on.”

Were seeing a culture change before our very own eyes Hoosier Nation as high profile guys now want to play for IU!  I said it before, Coach Woodson can relate to these kids because he has one thing in common, THE NBA.  Yes, his homerun assistant hires or keeps in Hunter has helped tremendously but make no mistake about it Coach Woodson's connection to the NBA makes this a homerun hire that most did not see coming but I did.  These kids see our staff as a mentor and father figure and it makes perfect sense.  I love the fact that these high profile recruits accept defense when talking Indiana as the culture has now changed.  Mike Woodson is a knock it out of the park coaching hire not only for himself but what he has assembled as assistant coaches and directors.  Lets HANG #6!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Rob P barely cracked the box score more times than not so are we really giving him a spot?  Look, if Rob P makes leaps and bounds in improvement its only better for IU but my $ is on the X and Bates show!!!

10 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I haven’t seen anybody ‘compare’ Rob to Bates. I have seen a debate about who will take the starting spot, but the debate is based on 2 hypotheticals: 1. How soon Bates will be ready for CBB and 2. If Rob gets his groove back. Thus, nobody is ‘right’ because nobody can see the future. 

If I were a betting man, I’d say that Rob gets the starting role (at least initially) based on experience, strength and defensive ability. If Bates is ready to go on day one I will enjoy being wrong. 

But I’m not a betting man and you could never get me to bet before the end of the day. Well, maybe unless you give me 3 to 1 odds. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

This is the paragraph that jumped out at me,  This is what is going to help make Mike Woodson a home run hire.  Not to pile on Archie, but this is something he lacked.

“He was just like, ‘Our relationship is going to go far past IU,'” Bates said of Woodson. “He said, ‘Our relationship is going to last for the rest of your life.’ And it’s the same thing with the entire coaching staff. It wasn’t just the assistant that led my recruitment. It was all the coaches who talked that way.”

• Like 9