Tamar Bates Commits to INDIANA!!

24 minutes ago, KDB said:

As a result of the updated ESPN rankings, Tamar moved up 12 spots to #44 nationally in the 247 composite rankings.

He also moved up 4 spots to be the #9 ranked SG in the nation. Now has a 0.9822 composite rating, up from 0.9788.

Will have a good chance of being a 5-star in the composite when the new 2021 rankings from 247 come out.

What a find. More importantly seems like a great kid.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cybergates said:

With the addition of Bates, we're #19 on ESPN's class rankings, 3rd in the B1G behind UM and MSU. 

Add in the unaccounted for xfers of XJ and MK and it makes for a serious addition of talent.

Yes. I think we more than made up for our loss of talent and done so in a much more diverse and versatile way. A lot of potential on this team. Woody is setting himself up for some pretty big expectations...I like it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

https://www.heraldbulletin.com/sports/incoming-freshman-bates-wants-to-finish-what-he-starts-at-iu/article_41778baa-a781-11eb-a4d2-fff65af30f35.html

I think this is a young man, I am going to like,

The 6-foot-5, 180-pound Bates said IU checked all the boxes for what he was looking for in a school, which included coaches that cared about him more as a person than a player, a chance to earn immediate playing time and a chance to join a program that can compete for a national championship.

“They kept it 100 with me,” Bates said. “None of the coaches tried to sell me a dream, and at the same time, every single coach on the staff had the same vision for me, same excitement for me potentially coming here. At the time when they were recruiting me, they were all in constant contact.”

Of Woodson, Bates said: “He was the coolest, old-school coach. He’s just an unbelievable person. The conversations we’ve had like just in the time I’ve known him — they’ve been really good, and I just feel like I can — he’s a guy that can help me out in any field that I choose to pursue.”

Imagine having that said about you....not you personally 5fouls...anyone in general is what I meant...😊

Edited by Dawg Bawls

22 minutes ago, KDB said:

The new 247Sports 2021 player rankings came out today.

Tamar was one of the biggest risers moving from #60 all the way up to #26.

Bates is the highest rated 4-star recruit on both ESPN and 247Sports.

Big move for him. I also noticed Furst and Duncomb are only a spot apart. Little bigger gap on rivals but interesting to see. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, KDB said:

The new 247Sports 2021 player rankings came out today.

Tamar was one of the biggest risers moving from #60 all the way up to #26.

Bates is the highest rated 4-star recruit on both ESPN and 247Sports.

Amazing to me how little fanfare this commit is getting. Minus Gordon, Romeo, and Cody....he's got to be the highest ranked recruit in 20 years. JJ was probably in there too.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Amazing to me how little fanfare this commit is getting. Minus Gordon, Romeo, and Cody....he's got to be the highest ranked recruit in 20 years. JJ was probably in there too.

point taken, but weren't Yogi, Blackmon, D.J., and Bryant all higher than that?  

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I thought they updated theirs fairly recently but could be misremembering. 

I also thought they updated the rankings a week or so ago and had moved Bates up to around 5* range. I looked it up and that was ESPN, so maybe that's what you're thinking of too.

21 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

So if he moves up to 35 on rivals would that make him a 5 star 247 composite?

I hope not. As soon as we sign a 5* peoples expectations get all out of whack. Just let this kid come in and find a role and turn himself into a valuable asset next year. It's a roster with a lot of experience.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

So if he moves up to 35 on rivals would that make him a 5 star 247 composite?

Probably not. ESPN and 247 have him right outside 5* so 35th on rivals would probably move him closet to 5* but not quite there. He'll probably be a burger boy, though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Probably not. ESPN and 247 have him right outside 5* so 35th on rivals would probably move him closet to 5* but not quite there. He'll probably be a burger boy, though.

That sort of exposure for a first year head coach and staff is huge. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 5:09 PM, Seeking6 said:

It is GREAT that we landed him.

Top 20 in the nation recruits, in the last 20 or so years ago, in order from the top:

Gordon

Langford

Vonieh

Zeller

DJWhite

Blackmon

Yogi

Bryant

Lander probably would have stayed in top 20 if he did not leave HS early

Jeffries was also probably there but he signed a year or two before the cutoff for the 247 rankings I looked at.

• Like 2