Tamar Bates Commits to INDIANA!!

On 5/5/2021 at 12:44 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Big move for him. I also noticed Furst and Duncomb are only a spot apart. Little bigger gap on rivals but interesting to see. 

This is the perfect situation for Woodson IMO.  For whatever reason, the freshmen we landed are not getting much fanfare.  Duncomb more than held his own against Furst when they played, his ranking shows they are closer than many of the fans of your team would want to admit.  I think, even with the loss of Franklin and Durham, that the talent we have coming in for next year is a big upgrade.

The news has been slow around here lately...seems like the program is just quietly humming along right now.  I really like this team on paper.  We may not be a national title contender next year, but I think Indiana is going to win games.  And for the coach and players, it seems really quiet for once.  They are going to have time to get the team in place.  I do not like the lack of things to talk about, but I love what that could mean.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

This is the perfect situation for Woodson IMO.  For whatever reason, the freshmen we landed are not getting much fanfare.  Duncomb more than held his own against Furst when they played, his ranking shows they are closer than many of the fans of your team would want to admit.  I think, even with the loss of Franklin and Durham, that the talent we have coming in for next year is a big upgrade.

The news has been slow around here lately...seems like the program is just quietly humming along right now.  I really like this team on paper.  We may not be a national title contender next year, but I think Indiana is going to win games.  And for the coach and players, it seems really quiet for once.  They are going to have time to get the team in place.  I do not like the lack of things to talk about, but I love what that could mean.

Very well said. Like in many life instances...less noise is better. Now the players have 5-6 months to put the work in and we'll see what happens in the fall. 

40 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

National title contender? Why not? The pieces are there to make a run. If UCLA could do it this past year, then we definitely could ... assuming the team gels and picks up Woody’s system quickly. I hope this team thinks they can. Little too early to tell, but if they ever feel like they can’t then somebody isn’t doing their job. And I know you’re tempering expectations and not wanting to look crazy for thinking we could go from what we had last year to the complete opposite, but I absolutely think they can.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

National title contender? Why not? The pieces are there to make a run. If UCLA could do it this past year, then we definitely could ... assuming the team gels and picks up Woody’s system quickly. I hope this team thinks they can. Little too early to tell, but if they ever feel like they can’t then somebody isn’t doing their job. And I know you’re tempering expectations and not wanting to look crazy for thinking we could go from what we had last year to the complete opposite, but I absolutely think they can.

Responding to your post, but mostly to the fan base. I've been quiet about this, and it very well may get me laughed at. Hecklers, Joe_Hoopsier says piss off.

5-7 games last year could be in the win column with a couple free throws, 1-3 more made TOTALLY OPEN 3 pointers, 2-3 made bunnies. The system wasn't terrible, players WERE put in situations to win games, but the players didn't finish those 3-9 points scored over 40 (sometimes more) minutes of play.

We didn't lose 8 games buy being blown out.

My point is, the talent level is here. The additions (players) are icing on the cake. I'm sorry that the atmosphere at IU (adim) had created a situation where coaches and kids would check out mid season. It's hard to understand (read that as - admit to) that an equal amount of ass kickin with back patting is required to make young boys, into great men and WINNERS!.

I finally, since CBK, think there is an adim behind the coaching that will accept what it takes. OH, with a great former player (and man) making sure that ALL stake holders have their requirements met. 

I've now spent my 6 month character limit (pisses my wife off!, see never shuts up), but that is how I feel.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Responding to your post, but mostly to the fan base. I've been quiet about this, and it very well may get me laughed at. Hecklers, Joe_Hoopsier says piss off.

5-7 games last year could be in the win column with a couple free throws, 1-3 more made TOTALLY OPEN 3 pointers, 2-3 made bunnies. The system wasn't terrible, players WERE put in situations to win games, but the players didn't finish those 3-9 points scored over 40 (sometimes more) minutes of play.

We didn't lose 8 games buy being blown out.

My point is, the talent level is here. The additions (players) are icing on the cake. I'm sorry that the atmosphere at IU (adim) had created a situation where coaches and kids would check out mid season. It's hard to understand (read that as - admit to) that an equal amount of ass kickin with back patting is required to make young boys, into great men and WINNERS!.

I finally, since CBK, think there is an adim behind the coaching that will accept what it takes. OH, with a great former player (and man) making sure that ALL stake holders have their requirements met. 

I've now spent my 6 month character limit (pisses my wife off!, see never shuts up), but that is how I feel.  

I agree for the most part, but something about Archie did not motivate / push the players to get it done.  And it was his job to do that. He also failed miserably in bringing in that shooter we all knew we needed for the last few years. I was a CAM believer. I felt like every year was an improvement up until the last 6-7 games of this past season.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I agree for the most part, but something about Archie did not motivate / push the players to get it done.  And it was his job to do that. He also failed miserably in bringing in that shooter we all knew we needed for the last few years. I was a CAM believer. I felt like every year was an improvement up until the last 6-7 games of this past season.

I didn't mean this to be a pro/con CAM post. My point/ feeling is that the talent was there, so it should be even more polished for this year. Yes that means there is an indictment on CAM and what he failed at. Also he wasn't the first coach in this journey that failed with even more. 

I also have to question why a coach has to motivate/ push D1 players to hit open 3 pointers, make FREE throws and not miss bunnies. There had to be more to it besides CAM could motivate and sustain. 

But as I ramble, my point was that the talent last year was >< that close, in a loaded B1G (without a coach that could motivate). I feel very encouraged this year and forward.   

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Between2Halls said:

Kid looks good no doubt about it. I feel much better about him playing under Woody's leadership than Archie. Feel like we will see good things from him. Having him come in and provide a scoring spark would be nice! Not sure if he starts but no doubt this kid looks ready to contribute.

7 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

247 final rankings. Bates is a 5 star. 

AFB6F18B-0D46-4703-855E-78AA816723DD.jpeg

Ohh no!!! I'm sure he is instantly going to have a big head and then us fans are going to expect him to be first team all-american day 1.....we were so close to having the perfect recruit....smh.

• Haha 1

No in all seriousness congrats to the kid....it's a nice honor to achieve 5* status...especially given how hard he has worked at it. I think we all have big expectations for the kid, I just hope we don't suddenly project Romeo status or anything on him. Heck I don't even know if he starts but I think he is going to play a big role for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Bates. Has to be the least amount of chatter ever about a 5 star who committed to us. Strange times I guess. You would think new staff, program momentum, coaching staff hires,etc....this kid would be getting all sorts of attention. 

Guess a few of the other recruits or misses (if you call them that...I don't) take priority for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding Bates. Has to be the least amount of chatter ever about a 5 star who committed to us. Strange times I guess. You would think new staff, program momentum, coaching staff hires,etc....this kid would be getting all sorts of attention. 

Guess a few of the other recruits or misses (if you call them that...I don't) take priority for whatever reason. 

Probably a good thing.  WE (IU fans) tend to over-hype the incoming, the returning, the transfers and the misses.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

It was mostly no college experience/recruiting and then age.  

for me personally it was the no college experience thing with getting the job only because he is an IU grad.  that no other school would have even considered him.  i guess i'll admit that his age came into play in that aspect.  the fact that he was 63 or whatever and had never coached college and had mostly been an NBA assistant.  that said i am very excited about al that has happened since the hire and very excited for the season.  really hoping i was very wrong, but i do still want to see results on the court before i 100% admit how wrong i was! 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Probably because the commitment really came out of nowhere.  We weren’t involved in the recruitment before he committed to Texas, and after he decommitted, I hadn’t even heard he was considering IU before we landed him.  So we didn’t get the usual 20-page recruitment thread hyping him up. And he didn’t get the five star ranking until after he’d already committed.

But I think he’s gonna be a stud.  Should be the best guard we’ve had since Romeo, and it sounds like he’ll be a better shooter as well.

• Like 7