Jump to content

Tamar Bates Commits to INDIANA!!


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

No description available.

The Holmgren kid just picked Gonzaga.  That program is on easy street if they continue to recruit like that.  Basically guaranteed a 1 or 2 seed in the tournament every year with that janky conference they play in.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think any of the numbers between 20 and 24 are perfect for him. 

I’ve read that he wears 53 because his grandmother passed away at 53.

 

EDIT: from Rivals “At Texas, Bates is planning to wear No. 53 to honor his grandmother Felicia Hurst who was only 53 when she passed away”.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

A really good basketball prospect who has apparently never eaten a cheeseburger or lifted weights in his life.  

Yep....I remember Durant couldn't do one rep in the bench press at the combine....somethings just translate...and skills like that alongside size....he will get stronger no doubt and they will work on it...but man it doesn't really matter all that much. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The state of Minnesota has been on fire in terms of producing talent lately.  

Yep....thank goodness their mens basketball program is in shambles....can you imagine if they had even a decent D1 coach?? Geez

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

Number 1 recruit. 7 foot kid playing high school ball in Minnesota.

 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

He was the #1 2021 prospect.  7' with guard skills.

 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

 Basically number one player in the country. 7’0 kinda Durant/Nowitzki type.

 

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

A really good basketball prospect who has apparently never eaten a cheeseburger or lifted weights in his life.  

Thanks fellas. I must admit I don't follow Minny BBall players. Would have been nice to get him, but on to the next!

And I agree about the cheeseburger/weight lifting assessment.....

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep....thank goodness their mens basketball program is in shambles....can you imagine if they had even a decent D1 coach?? Geez

I’ve always felt that Minnesota is a sleeping giant in basketball and football.  Very good academic school, with sneaky good rankings.  Lot of money up there.  The number of big time corporations headquartered in the twin cities is impressive.  As far as recruiting goes, they have a huge population center with the twin cities and no in-state competition for recruits.  I don’t know if it’s their administration or culture, but they have untapped potential in sports.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So many good signs in landing Bates.  

1.  Landing a top 50 player from anywhere is big, but it is particularly impressive that he’s not just from out of state but not even from a contiguous state.  Great sign compared to where we’ve been.  
2. You land a kid like this—on short notice no less—and hopefully it’s an attention grabber for other kids.  Momentum is so important in recruiting.  
3.  Coach Woodson talked about guys with length who can shoot and switch on D.  Right away you see him reconnect with Gunn and land Bates.  The vision is coming together.  
4.  You can see how our two most recent ‘22 offers fit.  You look at Noah Clowney and Kaleb Banks.  They are both long and skilled.  You can envision what we potentially could look like with all these pieces.  
5.  As a side note, I said this several times over the past year or two.  I was rooting for Archie’s staff to get some recruits regardless of who would be coaching.  Crean left us with almost nothing useful.   Archie left us a great assistant in Coach Hunter and several players who will be huge.  It’s not just obvious pieces like Trayce.  Guys like Duncomb, Lander, Geronimo and on and on...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’ve always felt that Minnesota is a sleeping giant in basketball and football.  Very good academic school, with sneaky good rankings.  Lot of money up there.  The number of big time corporations headquartered in the twin cities is impressive.  As far as recruiting goes, they have a huge population center with the twin cities and no in-state competition for recruits.  I don’t know if it’s their administration or culture, but they have untapped potential in sports.  

Yep...I can't remember when they were ever good growing up...maybe when they had Veshon Lenard and then later Bobby Jackson, Quincy Lewis, and Sam Jacobson....that's the only notable player I can remember without going way way back to Mychal Thompson, Kevin Mchale, and Trent Tucker. Been pretty bad ever since.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep...I can't remember when they were ever good growing up...maybe when they had Veshon Lenard and then later Bobby Jackson, Quincy Lewis, and Sam Jacobson....that's the only notable player I can remember without going way way back to Mychal Thompson, Kevin Mchale, and Trent Tucker. Been pretty bad ever since.

Yeah that mid-late 90's run under Clem was what I remember most about the Gophers.  But I think everything from 93-99 was vacated due to numerous violations like academic fraud. They haven't been able to recover.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...