Jump to content

Overtime Elite League


jv1972iu
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sorry, can't provide the link while on my Kindle.  Saw that Kevin Ollie will be the head of Player Development for this new approach for preparing young athletes for professional sports careers ( basketball for now).  Youngsters 16-18 in a paid league with an educational component.  Saw the story on ESPN page.  The landscape for high school and college basketball continues to change it seems...rapidly.

Not sure this is the right place for this post...sorry!  Also, don't know if I described the concept correctly.  Be interesting to see if this OTE is truly viable.  Like I said... it's a rapidly changing landscape these days.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw this...I really hope this has true education that goes with it.  If it's more of a joke in that regard they are just setting kids up for failure.  Even kids who are "elite" in high school don't always translate to the pro game.  So many have attempted to go straight from high school and then failed.  I am not a fan of this idea, let kids be kids and focus on school and friends in high school. just my opinion. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link

Interesting concept...Says minimum $100K per year plus NIL and bonuses...

The education they offer is more life skills...

"EDUCATION
OTE will offer a direct-instruction model led by individual instructors who teach both 1:1 and in small group sessions featuring a 4:1 student-teacher ratio. OTE will supplement a traditional course offering with a focus on life skills –including financial literacy, media training, and social justice advocacy."

But they do provide up to $100K for college should a player decide not to pursue a pro career...

If I had a kid that was just not a good student, I might direct them there, but only 1.2% of players in the college ranks play in the NBA (and 60% of those have financial difficulties after basketball) and 21% play some form of pro basketball...

I don't think it'll hurt college basketball much...just another option for kids...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Link

Interesting concept...Says minimum $100K per year plus NIL and bonuses...

The education they offer is more life skills...

"EDUCATION
OTE will offer a direct-instruction model led by individual instructors who teach both 1:1 and in small group sessions featuring a 4:1 student-teacher ratio. OTE will supplement a traditional course offering with a focus on life skills –including financial literacy, media training, and social justice advocacy."

But they do provide up to $100K for college should a player decide not to pursue a pro career...

If I had a kid that was just not a good student, I might direct them there, but only 1.2% of players in the college ranks play in the NBA (and 60% of those have financial difficulties after basketball) and 21% play some form of pro basketball...

I don't think it'll hurt college basketball much...just another option for kids...

 

The nice thing is the money for college, but if a kid goes to this program they are telling you they are going to teach them about finances, media, and social justice....lets say a kids dream doesn't pan out and they then need a college...Two-three years of no math, science, english, etc....Imagine the struggle for the kid to reteach ones self in the subjects with multiple years lost.....  I agree it probably won't hurt a vast majority of kids, because the ones that do it will be upper echelon, but I worry it creates a slippery slope for say the Jonathan Benders and DeSange Diops of the world

Edited by gnet550
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Link

Interesting concept...Says minimum $100K per year plus NIL and bonuses...

The education they offer is more life skills...

"EDUCATION
OTE will offer a direct-instruction model led by individual instructors who teach both 1:1 and in small group sessions featuring a 4:1 student-teacher ratio. OTE will supplement a traditional course offering with a focus on life skills –including financial literacy, media training, and social justice advocacy."

But they do provide up to $100K for college should a player decide not to pursue a pro career...

If I had a kid that was just not a good student, I might direct them there, but only 1.2% of players in the college ranks play in the NBA (and 60% of those have financial difficulties after basketball) and 21% play some form of pro basketball...

I don't think it'll hurt college basketball much...just another option for kids...

 

 

2 hours ago, gnet550 said:

The nice thing is the money for college, but if a kid goes to this program they are telling you they are going to teach them about finances, media, and social justice....lets say a kids dream doesn't pan out and they then need a college...Two-three years of no math, science, english, etc....Imagine the struggle for the kid to reteach ones self in the subjects with multiple years lost.....  I agree it probably won't hurt a vast majority of kids, because the ones that do it will be upper echelon, but I worry it creates a slippery slope for say the Jonathan Benders and DeSange Diops of the world

It says right there that those courses will supplement a traditional course offering. From that it sounds like they'll get the math, english, etc courses plus the life skills courses.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

 

It says right there that those courses will supplement a traditional course offering. From that it sounds like they'll get the math, english, etc courses plus the life skills courses.

I gotcha, kind of glossed over that...I’m a teacher so my big thing is I hope these kids get education too, while chasing dreams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I gotcha, kind of glossed over that...I’m a teacher so my big thing is I hope these kids get education too, while chasing dreams

Right, I do too. I can understand not wanting or caring about a college degree but a HS diploma is pretty much a must have. I hope the classes are legit for the sake of the kids so that if they decide to attend college they can get admitted and have the background to perform well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...