2023 Class Rankings and Discussion

KDB

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Is it just me or is IU's next recruiting cycle way too quiet? I'm not sensing any sort of momentum right now -- those of you in the know, is this just par for the course this time of the year or is it abnormally low?

Its low, for sure.. I'm wondering/thinking/hoping.... 

We are going to start saving a substantial amount of scholarships and resources for the transfer portal. 

In my opinion, us taking a true FR and them staying 4 years and developing into a star/stud for us, seem pretty low. Or lower than a lot of program. 

Maybe go more into the portal route? Spitballing, obviously. I am also completely unsure how many scholarships we will have. 

• Like 1

It certainly appears like a specific choice and strategy is in place, even if it hasn't been articulated to the public.

There's no doubt that accepting transfers from other, high profile schools is intriguing, but I still feel that getting commitments from stud HS players reinforces a message that IU is a destination.

There are a few players who like to go against the grain and take a flyer on an 'outsider' program, but by and large, most players want to go somewhere that has energy, momentum and other good players seeking the same thing.

it's optics and perception. Hopefully CTA and co. didn't lose it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 2:33 PM, btownqb said:

Its low, for sure.. I'm wondering/thinking/hoping.... 

We are going to start saving a substantial amount of scholarships and resources for the transfer portal. 

In my opinion, us taking a true FR and them staying 4 years and developing into a star/stud for us, seem pretty low. Or lower than a lot of program. 

Maybe go more into the portal route? Spitballing, obviously. I am also completely unsure how many scholarships we will have. 

Article in this morning's FW Journal Gazette quoting CTA that this year's class would be small--between 12-15 as a result of players getting an extra year due to the pandemic.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Maybe we were only getting one of he and Carter. 🤷‍♂️

Ecstatic about Carter.  He is very good and a lot of schools wanted him.  Pulling him in was a major coup.  As much grief as the staff gets, they deserve credit for getting him and he’s at a major position of need.  We did land several good commitments late.  The end from Louisiana, the corner transfer from TX, receiver from Miami and we also kept most of our solid commits.  The 6’5 “receiver” from CA might end up being a pass rusher; a well regarded safety, three solid offensive linemen et al.

We obviously need a QB who will no doubt be a dual threat.  I’d like to see a RB too as well as Blidi from TX Tech and some others.  I am hoping we tighten the D and develop an identity running the ball.  We do have Camper, Simmons and McCulley at receiver with some young guys like Cooper.   I’ve been banging the drum that our O-line will be improved.  

We had a good recruiting class last year and we have some young talent.  Player development and the weight room will be HUGE.  But could we go from 2 wins to 4 wins to 5-6 wins?

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Perusing Twitter, I see that we had some recruits visiting over the weekend and a couple decide in the next day or two.  

Edge Jefferson Adam, juco (lot thought he was a lean for Iowa State; let’s see if his visit changes it in our favor)

TE Anthony Miller out of Georgia 

Athlete Dessirio Riles from Florida, listed at 6’3, 220 on 247, I wonder what position they like for him

Sounds like more official visits this weekend. Like someone on another board mentioned, seems like the IU beat guys (both football and basketball) know about as much as us when it comes to visits. I'm sure IU keeps some of this info close to the vest, but it's really should not be top secret info. Where are the “insiders”? 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1