Crossroads Classic Replacement?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

They already have it, getting to a point where we are beating them regularly to show that we are back on the same level would be really good for us.  Not to mention the national audience that event would generate.  You can sell that type of thing nationally too.

I'm saying I don't want a big stage like that for either of them within our border...We haven't done it like that in a while, and I'm happy with that...

If they want to continue the rivalry, do it on the campuses...

Believe me, at one time, IU/UK was THE rivalry in college basketball...And it can be again...

I want to play UK every year but home and away, make them come to Bloomington and play then we will go to Lexington and play. Let the Crossroads Classic be a showcase for Indiana teams. (That includes Purdue I guess.) 🙄

I like the OP's idea, but Cal is coming off a 9-16 season with a program on a downward spiral. He won't be scheduling any tough out of conference games the rest of his time at UK.

18 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

I wouldn’t hate an IU/PU vs UK/UL Ohio River Rivalry setup but Purdue will never agree to that level of non conference strength of schedule year in and year out. I don’t necessarily need to play UK every year and this would be a cool alternative 

Why wouldn’t Purdue agree to it?

I like home and home with UK, but nothing compares when they played in Indy and Louisville- and the crowd was split red and blue- epic atmosphere and games.  Seems like they were always Saturday afternoon prime time game.

I miss playing them, I remember when we had the head to head lead.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue would be part of something like that, it's dumb to say otherwise.

Purdue has more right to represent Indiana basketball at this time than any other D1 program in the state. Caleb Furst anyone? Purdue leads the all-time head-to-head series 124–89, and 9 in a row. Facts, and dusty banners, can be very depressing.

2 hours ago, Officer Obie said:

Purdue would be part of something like that, it's dumb to say otherwise.

Purdue has more right to represent Indiana basketball at this time than any other D1 program in the state. Caleb Furst anyone? Purdue leads the all-time head-to-head series 124–89, and 9 in a row. Facts, and dusty banners, can be very depressing.

I’ll take the 6 dusty banners and 22 B10 titles over the HTH record and 24 B10 titles. 

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’ll take the 6 dusty banners and 22 B10 titles over the HTH record and 24 B10 titles. 

I agree. I'm just tired of being a cocky IU fan. It takes a lot of energy to be unjustifiably intolerable for 30-plus years. I don't mind being a jerk, I just want to be able to back it up. :coffee:

I’d keep the crossroads classics and find a date for the UK and UL games or other events. I’d rather see IU play Butler or ND over some cupcake and there’s nothing about that event that should stop them from playing in other events. My only thing is I feel like the crossroads classic should include some of the other schools in Indiana too. Make a full day out of the event. So a low/mid major and high major event. The top 4 always play each other and the others play each other. 

On 4/16/2021 at 3:27 PM, IUFLA said:

I just don't care for giving either of them any kind of recruiting cachet in the state of Indiana. 

I am with you, I don't want to play UK in Indy. Home and Home, Market Square, Dallas, the Yum Center.  I don't care, I just don't want Cal to be able to say he won and IU bent to his requirements. Love the idea of a Circle city tournament with Gonzaga, Kansas, Nova. I can do without UK until CAL bends our way. 

On 4/17/2021 at 12:39 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue would agree to it, I would not invite them.  I know you are a Purdue fan but you guys are not a draw in Indianapolis.  People can talk about deserving it based on play the past 15 years or whatever, but Purdue could not generate enough fan support to keep their own "Blockbuster" event going in Indianapolis.  And please, please, please do not offer me that excuse about Purdue fans leaving the state after graduation.  Bankers Life holds 20,000.  There are enough Purdue Alums and fans to cover that if they were interested.

Me personally, I would not invite any of the other Crossroads teams because none of them bring the fans.  Purdue would be getting IU, UK, UL welfare just like Purdue, ND, and Butler get IU welfare now.  You pull Indiana out of the Crossroads Classic and replace it with any other team from the state of Indiana and that exhibition is dead within 5 years.  You could pull any other school out of it and replace with another and the fact that Indiana is still in it would keep it going until Indiana decided it was over.

Purdue does not play games in Indianapolis (that don't involve IU or the BTT) because even their own alumni do not care enough to support it.  Harsh, I know, but it is reality.  Purdue has been better program on the court the past however many years.  That is reality.  But reality is also that UK and UL have zero reason to want to play them.  And Indiana has zero reason to want to include them from where I sit.

19 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I’d keep the crossroads classics and find a date for the UK and UL games or other events. I’d rather see IU play Butler or ND over some cupcake and there’s nothing about that event that should stop them from playing in other events. My only thing is I feel like the crossroads classic should include some of the other schools in Indiana too. Make a full day out of the event. So a low/mid major and high major event. The top 4 always play each other and the others play each other. 

The money it would cost to operate those events would not be made up by fan attendance.  It is just further diluting the payment that the big 4 get out of the event.  And really, when it comes to tickets, that event is the big one and the other three.

19 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Purdue would agree to it, I would not invite them.  I know you are a Purdue fan but you guys are not a draw in Indianapolis.  People can talk about deserving it based on play the past 15 years or whatever, but Purdue could not generate enough fan support to keep their own "Blockbuster" event going in Indianapolis.  And please, please, please do not offer me that excuse about Purdue fans leaving the state after graduation.  Bankers Life holds 20,000.  There are enough Purdue Alums and fans to cover that if they were interested.

Me personally, I would not invite any of the other Crossroads teams because none of them bring the fans.  Purdue would be getting IU, UK, UL welfare just like Purdue, ND, and Butler get IU welfare now.  You pull Indiana out of the Crossroads Classic and replace it with any other team from the state of Indiana and that exhibition is dead within 5 years.  You could pull any other school out of it and replace with another and the fact that Indiana is still in it would keep it going until Indiana decided it was over.

Purdue does not play games in Indianapolis (that don't involve IU or the BTT) because even their own alumni do not care enough to support it.  Harsh, I know, but it is reality.  Purdue has been better program on the court the past however many years.  That is reality.  But reality is also that UK and UL have zero reason to want to play them.  And Indiana has zero reason to want to include them from where I sit.

Posts tagged funny but in a sad way - Imgur

This crap of Uk needed an actual game in Indy to help recruit is mind boggling, they’ve had top 3 classes for 12 strait years, but sure not playing in Indy has hurt them.

i get the screw you vibe after Cal punked out gettbig his feelings hurt.

44 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We don’t show up like IU does but I don’t think our attendance in Indy is bad by any stretch of the imagination. Could it be better? Absolutely. I think they could draw the support playing some of those other teams but it’ll probably never happen. The tournament game against UVA in Louisville was basically Mackey Arena south. Overwhelming number of Purdue fans there and we took over the Yum Center. 

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

We don’t show up like IU does but I don’t think our attendance in Indy is bad by any stretch of the imagination. Could it be better? Absolutely. I think they could draw the support playing some of those other teams but it’ll probably never happen. The tournament game against UVA in Louisville was basically Mackey Arena south. Overwhelming number of Purdue fans there and we took over the Yum Center. 

So you are saying that Purdue fans will travel to Louisville but not Indy?  Makes total sense.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Better game right? UVA over Butler/ND haha

But see, that is the point.  Yeah, you showed up to your program's first Elite 8 appearance in 19 years in a city that is literally a drive over a bridge from Indiana.  In order to maintain an event though, you have to show up when you don't have that kind of thing at stake.

I wish Purdue could hold their weight in that type of event.  That would be a crazy environment.  It would kind of replace a little of the pop that has gone out of the High School All Star game between the states.  I just don't think Purdue would support it like the other 3 would.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Better game right? UVA over Butler/ND haha

Doesn't work like that my Boiler friend.  And if the Purdue faithful can't show up for a regular season match-up against Butler or Notre Dame then Purdue should be dropped from the event.  Go out and schedule Wichita St. for Mackey.

Archived