Rosemond gives IU a national recruiting footprint

On 4/17/2021 at 3:58 PM, gnet550 said:

already starting a new 2022 offer

Funny, all of HN is waiting for this hire to blow up in our face but dont you think these guys after all the infractions get a little smarter in their tactics?  Do you think they all  want to go down in flames or just maybe after investigation of investigation some get it, especially the smart ones!  Coach Woodson is a product of this NATION, last thing he wants to do is tarnish her legacy on his watch.  I'm sure Coach Woodson had real bro conversations as to what is allowed vs what is not so lets see how this all plays out!  I'm ecstatic to have a head coach with NBA ties and an assistant with strong ties that I honestly don't believe any shady business is needed as both reputations speak louder than words.  Trust me, IU wont be paying any top 3 recruits to suit up for the Hoosiers any time soon nor do we want them unless its clean.  I want top 50 talent that respects the program and willing to play defense.  That is the recipe for # 6!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Funny, all of HN is waiting for this hire to blow up in our face but dont you think these guys after all the infractions get a little smarter in their tactics?  Do you think they all  want to go down in flames or just maybe after investigation of investigation some get it, especially the smart ones!  Coach Woodson is a product of this NATION, last thing he wants to do is tarnish her legacy on his watch.  I'm sure Coach Woodson had real bro conversations as to what is allowed vs what is not so lets see how this all plays out!  I'm ecstatic to have a head coach with NBA ties and an assistant with strong ties that I honestly don't believe any shady business is needed as both reputations speak louder than words.  Trust me, IU wont be paying any top 3 recruits to suit up for the Hoosiers any time soon nor do we want them unless its clean.  I want top 50 talent that respects the program and willing to play defense.  That is the recipe for # 6!

I wasn't thrilled with the hire initially. But in the end I had to put my trust in Coach Woody. It will end up all being on him. I don't like playing fast and loose with the rules. I don't think we have to go so far as to pretend that there isn't room for interpretation and finding loopholes either....after all that is what big corporations do when paying taxes. Would I trust Yasir unsupervised without constraints put on him. No not really. But I trust Coach will keep him in line. If we have to drop bags of money the kid isn't right for IU. You can do it the right way and still win...and still get where you want to be. You can become a head coach without getting down and dirty. Yasir wants to win and get to the top and coach someday. Nothing wrong with those goals..and I hope IU helps him attain them. But if the guy goes off the reservation...I have no problems cutting ties. No one coach or one player is worth IU's reputation. You live and you learn and I trust that is the situation for him. Will be happy for him to widen our net for more talent. The south has tons of great athletes. Sometimes the basketball down there doesn't get the fundamental coaching and teamwork it does in other parts but you can't argue that SEC football country doesn't produce some of the most athletic kids in the country...won't hurt for IU to tap into that from time to time to help us speed up the offense and bring in some rim protecting 5's. I want to turn over every stone to make IU the best it can be. Indiana kids are great...and will always make up the backbone of this team but we need a influx of raw athleticism on this team too. Some kids we can mold into stars.

• Like 1

As far as recruiting goes...Yasir seems very very well connected to top kids in the southeast. He will be strategic in bringing in not just recruits but in the portal where kids he has worked with in the past may look to transfer as well. Maybe kids like Jabari Smith and Bruce Thornton keep their commitments to Auburn and OSU.....but with the portal open for 1 immediate transfer per playing career....can't be out of the question some of those kids may give IU a second look if they aren't 100% satisfied right away.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 9:27 AM, dgambill said:

I wasn't thrilled with the hire initially. But in the end I had to put my trust in Coach Woody. It will end up all being on him. I don't like playing fast and loose with the rules. I don't think we have to go so far as to pretend that there isn't room for interpretation and finding loopholes either....after all that is what big corporations do when paying taxes. Would I trust Yasir unsupervised without constraints put on him. No not really. But I trust Coach will keep him in line. If we have to drop bags of money the kid isn't right for IU. You can do it the right way and still win...and still get where you want to be. You can become a head coach without getting down and dirty. Yasir wants to win and get to the top and coach someday. Nothing wrong with those goals..and I hope IU helps him attain them. But if the guy goes off the reservation...I have no problems cutting ties. No one coach or one player is worth IU's reputation. You live and you learn and I trust that is the situation for him. Will be happy for him to widen our net for more talent. The south has tons of great athletes. Sometimes the basketball down there doesn't get the fundamental coaching and teamwork it does in other parts but you can't argue that SEC football country doesn't produce some of the most athletic kids in the country...won't hurt for IU to tap into that from time to time to help us speed up the offense and bring in some rim protecting 5's. I want to turn over every stone to make IU the best it can be. Indiana kids are great...and will always make up the backbone of this team but we need a influx of raw athleticism on this team too. Some kids we can mold into stars.

I understand the concept of the most athletic kids being good for IU but haven't we learned from this mistake the past 4-6 yrs?  Athleticism has not gotten this IU team to the dance in the last 4 yrs and that is with recruiting the States best talent.  Sometimes we need to not worry about size and defensive mismatches but more so on if the kid can put the dang ball through the hoop from 10-18 ft away.  So tired of our so called athleticism shooting brick after brick and even getting burnt on the defensive side of the ball due to lack of WANT.  When was the last time or how many times per game did our athletic wings or guards dunk on the opposition at will?  Not very often at this level so you must have a jump shot to be successful.  I want more high basketball IQ players at this point over athleticism as I seen enough broke shots to last me a lifetime.  I'm talking about a Braden Smith type player who has the IQ I convey and can light you up off any bounce he takes or pass to an open teammate for an assist.  When is the last time IU had that kind of player?   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

I understand the concept of the most athletic kids being good for IU but haven't we learned from this mistake the past 4-6 yrs?  Athleticism has not gotten this IU team to the dance in the last 4 yrs and that is with recruiting the States best talent.  Sometimes we need to not worry about size and defensive mismatches but more so on if the kid can put the dang ball through the hoop from 10-18 ft away.  So tired of our so called athleticism shooting brick after brick and even getting burnt on the defensive side of the ball due to lack of WANT.  When was the last time or how many times per game did our athletic wings or guards dunk on the opposition at will?  Not very often at this level so you must have a jump shot to be successful.  I want more high basketball IQ players at this point over athleticism as I seen enough broke shots to last me a lifetime.  I'm talking about a Braden Smith type player who has the IQ I convey and can light you up off any bounce he takes or pass to an open teammate for an assist.  When is the last time IU had that kind of player?   

Here what you are saying, but I would make the argument that IU has not gotten the most athletic kids.  Trayce is the exception.  Even Romeo was dubbed as a can't miss prospect, but not an elite athlete.  Coach Miller went after athletes, many didn't come, probably because of style, etc.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Here what you are saying, but I would make the argument that IU has not gotten the most athletic kids.  Trayce is the exception.  Even Romeo was dubbed as a can't miss prospect, but not an elite athlete.  Coach Miller went after athletes, many didn't come, probably because of style, etc.  

Agree. I actually think lack of athleticism has been a much larger issue the last 4 years than having too many athletes. Who are all of these ultra-athletes that IU has had? 

Phinisee isn't that athletic, Galloway isn't, Leal isn't, Hunter isn't, Race isn't, Durham isn't, etc., etc. IU hasn't had a super athletic wing since maybe Troy Williams. 

I'm not sure where this narrative I've seen posted a lot recently came from that IU needs "basketball players not athletes"? We haven't been a very athletic team in about 5 years when we had Bryant and OG. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I actually think lack of athleticism has been a much larger issue the last 4 years than having too many athletes. Who are all of these ultra-athletes that IU has had? 

Phinisee isn't that athletic, Galloway isn't, Leal isn't, Hunter isn't, Race isn't, Durham isn't, etc., etc. IU hasn't had a super athletic wing since maybe Troy Williams. 

I'm not sure where this narrative I've seen posted a lot recently came from that IU needs "basketball players not athletes"? We haven't been a very athletic team in about 5 years when we had Bryant and OG. 

Totally agree!  Imagine some of the athletes who can play basketball would do?  We are seeing it a Baylor, Michigan, etc.  Just naming two.  Cause havoc on D and be lightning on O.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

100%. A huge reason we haven’t been able to finish at the rim is lack of athleticism. Can’t beat our man off the dribble, can’t finish above the rim, can’t alter shots...can’t push the ball and finish fast breaks even with 3-1...few and 1s. Get abused by Ayo, Carbello, Livers, Waggoners, Iveys, Geo Bakers and so many others from past years. Having some actual size in the backcourt 6’3 6’5 6’5 and player like Xavier who can breakdown a defense as opposed to guys like Rob or Al is a huge upgrade. Count me happy!!

• Like 3

Like him or not whatever the case...funny thing is people are super psyched to have a national recruiter who is linked to some of the most physically gifted and talented players in the country...including elite point guards and the first guy these people want to recruit.....a local 6’0 point guard that while talented and incredibly driven would put us right back in the same box we just broke out of. Why bring in Woodson and Yasir and Kenya if we want that level of recruit.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, ba43056 said:

He's going to carry our 22' class.

I think this is a smart suggestion.  I think our deepest dive is in 2023.  We are in the "coarse" filtering phase there where we are making our deep dive and broad list of guys we want. In coming months we will develop the relationships and watch the players to fully identify who we like the most and who are the best fits.  And of course, determine who we "click" with.  There are a ton of names here, although not many total no-brainers.  You look at Xavier Booker and he is 6'11, mobile, and agile (he can literally handle).  You absolutely have to recruit him because of what he could become.  But there are questions about his motor and how crazy raw he is.  You can go on and on about other recruits.  The point though is that is the class where we have time to do a deep dive and really go from a coarse filter to a fine filter over the next 15 months.  And let us see what 4-5 guys are left standing for us.  A lot of these guys have been effusive in their praise for IU.

But, I come back to your point about 2022.  We don't have the ability to do that same deep dive.  But Rosemond has connections in the South and has worked with some prospects on skill development.  We can tap into those connections and end up with our class. 

We have Gunn and we can still get some combination of Schifino, Banks, Sensabaugh, Clowney et al.

Let's hope our (a) style of play, and (b) success in the W column, both go through the roof this year.  That momentum would really carry over into recruiting.

Under the circumstances, if we pull a class of Gunn, Schifino, Clowney and maybe one of Banks or Sensabaugh, that would be a really good class all things considered, IMO.  Like an A.

Then if 2023 lands us a strong class after the considerable due diligence, we can be on our way, while we are still winning in the meantime.  I think we will be much more competitive year to year. Adjustments and changes will be made as needed.

Edited by BobSaccamanno

19 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Under the circumstances, if we pull a class of Gunn, Schifino, Clowney and maybe one of Banks or Sensabaugh, that would be a really good class all things considered, IMO.  Like an A.

Then if 2023 lands us a strong class after the considerable due diligence, we can be on our way, while we are still winning in the meantime.  I think we will be much more competitive year to year. Adjustments and changes will be made as needed.

I lost my confidence predicting when Washington stiffed Purdue, but I'm feeling good about Shifano and Banks. 

• Like 2