Next Season Expectations?

With the roster and coaching staff almost set, I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts are for next season?

To be honest, I could see this being a team that competes for the Big Ten, and one that could make a deep tournament run.

I'm not saying that's my expectation, but I see it as possible.  The roster is just very well rounded at this point, and we can finally put lineups in where there's offensive threats from every position.  That being said, it's also Woodson's first year, and there are bound to be some transitional hiccups, but I can't imagine this team won't be significantly better than last year.  Also, the players are really seeming to buy in, which was the biggest problem with last year's team.

Initially, I was honestly a little disappointed in the Woodson hire (too much hope for Stevens haha), but I'm all in now.  He's completely changed the roster, and the entire administrative and coaching staff is now, IMO, world class.

• Like 2

No clue yet in terms of expectations. Still so much roster turnover that will happen between now and fall for many teams in Big 10. What I see right now is year 1 of a whole new makeover for IU basketball. If we can arrange 4-5 layups in preseason to pad the W total I could see 20+ wins with maybe 2-3 games over .500 conference record. Just really guessing right now.

I'm just excited we've created this much juice/momentum in a program that was dead 40 days ago. 

• Like 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

All day long. Ever since we announced Woodson and subsequent hires....I've been saying this to myself. 

I'm not going to put a cap on what I think this team is capable of.. because I flat out don't know. I do think we have the best player in the conference... I do think XJ is a big time potential all league guy. I do think Parker Stewart can play. With some fine tuning of RP, Lander, and Hunter to go along with Race. Geronimo might factor in there. I will be elated if we end up ranked at some points, but I don't think I would be overly surprised. 

• Like 1

First big step would be to make it to the tournament with an at-large bid. Sure a lot of positive things have gone on since CMW took over, but I gotta be realistic. He and his staff are implementing a new system and bringing in some new players. I wanna see his first team improves as season progresses and to make it to the tournament. Then, anything can happen.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

With the roster and coaching staff almost set, I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts are for next season?

To be honest, I could see this being a team that competes for the Big Ten, and one that could make a deep tournament run.

I'm not saying that's my expectation, but I see it as possible.  The roster is just very well rounded at this point, and we can finally put lineups in where there's offensive threats from every position.  That being said, it's also Woodson's first year, and there are bound to be some transitional hiccups, but I can't imagine this team won't be significantly better than last year.  Also, the players are really seeming to buy in, which was the biggest problem with last year's team.

Initially, I was honestly a little disappointed in the Woodson hire (too much hope for Stevens haha), but I'm all in now.  He's completely changed the roster, and the entire administrative and coaching staff is now, IMO, world class.

I think we will be able to finish in the top 5 on the conference.  With our roster plus the losses some of the the top teams have had makes me think we will finish 4th or 5th if not higher.

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

They have already met my expectations as I am finally pumped and excited to turn on the tube for an IU game again.

I missed that "rush" as the game approaches. Now, I can not wait!

Totally agree and can't remember the last time I was this excited about an upcoming season

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i mean message boards are for debating and opinions, etc., right?  who knows?  but i think we can hope for a #5-7 B1G finish.  we were 2 games back from being 6th last year.  even if we are #7 and maybe in and out of the top 25, it would be more exciting than it's been in years.  

5-7?  I honestly think that's really pessimistic.  We have arguably the best big in the league and potentially the best backcourt.  Almost certainly the deepest backcourt. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

5-7?  I honestly think that's really pessimistic.  We have arguably the best big in the league and potentially the best backcourt.  Almost certainly the deepest backcourt. 

fair enough.  i don't really disagree, but going from where we were last year to top 4 in the B1G is no easy task!  i'll try to continue my hop on the optimistic train and hope for the best!

18 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

so if i want to take the really optimistic view, i can.  TJD is clearly a POY candidate.  XJ is way better than any PG we had.  Stewart seems very promising.  Bates seems very promising.  Hunter and Thompson had their moments for sure last year.  some big personnel losses for the teams in front of us.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

fair enough.  i don't really disagree, but going from where we were last year to top 4 in the B1G is no easy task!  i'll try to continue my hop on the optimistic train and hope for the best!

I wouldn't just look at our roster but what teams like UI, Iowa, UW,UM, MSU, Rutgers has lost this off season.  I would say PU, OSU and Maryland are the top 3 in the league right now and would put UM in there if Wagner comes back.

Not sure about wins or Big 10 finish.  What I want for next year is for opposing players to walk into Assembly Hall, hear 17,000 screaming fans, look at the coaches and players on our side, and pee their pants thinking about what is about to hit them.  I think we are getting there.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Not sure about wins or Big 10 finish.  What I want for next year is for opposing players to walk into Assembly Hall, hear 17,000 screaming fans, look at the coaches and players on our side, and pee their pants thinking about what is about to hit them.  I think we are getting there.

AMEN

Minimal games like Rutgers at home this year.. Beat the below .500 teams on the road. Split with the ranked teams at home. (or a little better). Find a 6 or 7 seed... win the first game and give yourself a good chance in the 2nd round of the NCAAT. I think we can agree that is an "average" expectation... little less than that we are probably a little disappointed, a little more than that and I think we are big time happy. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3