Next Season Expectations?

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I expect Jeff Goodman to find another team to troll...... because there isn't much value in trolling a Top 10 program.

I expect Goodman over here in about 15 minutes so he can lick my Cream and Crimson /^$$.

Edit: keep it clean rico. Borderline, at best here. 😬😁

-blue

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Currently, IU is projected to go 16-10 (11-8), #6 in B1G, #22 overall in the T-Rank Projections with transfers Xavier Johnson & Parker Stewart getting the 2nd & 3rd highest usage.

My hopes:

-Top 5 finish in B1G

-Beat Purdue

-1-2 wins in tourney

Wondering if the Bates addition will bump the projections up some??

I am trying to keep the horses in front of the cart.  Some of you have the horses in the barn and eating oats while i am still standing at the cart, in town, on another continent.

I honestly expect us to be better, we can't really get much worst.  I will wait and see how it plays out.  What offense and defense we run.  Do these guys have the BBIQ to learn it quickly and then translate that to the floor at game speed.  Can we put the ball in the bucket?  

On paper we should be really good.  But i have heard that same line, in this same forum, in every off season to be drawn in to that trap of excitement again.  So i will wait and see.  Lets see if Coach Woodson is this coaching god everyone seems to think he is.

I just want to see player development.  Passion on the court.  Smart basketball.  The W/L will take care of themselves if we get that.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Undefeated national champions whose average winning margin in the NCAAT is 50 points. That seems reasonable, no?

Seriously, though, just a better product on the floor with the players showing effort and looking like they're having fun. 20 wins, top 1/2 of the B1G. Don't lose by 20+ points at home to cupcakes. I hope they look better as the season goes on and not worse like we've seen many times the last 14 seasons. Make the NCAAT.

• Like 1

Expectations—

-Kids running, not jogging back on defense 

-At least one kid to take a leadership role and calling out, no getting pissed, when teammates aren’t giving their all out effort 

-At least one kid taking it personally to shut down the opponents best scorer.

-ACDF being the example and mentor to model tough nosed, never soft again, won’t back down players. Yet a team that can do that without being a bunch of goons.

-SSAH regaining its place as one of the most challenging environments for visiting teams to play in. 

-IU students getting the chance to experience what the greatness of IU basketball is. IU students becoming as obnoxiously funny as any other student section in the country.

-IU basketball becoming a destination event again. Tickets becoming a valued commodity instead of something that can’t be given away.

Institute this kind of culture and the wins, record and tournament seeds will take care of themselves 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am trying to keep the horses in front of the cart.  Some of you have the horses in the barn and eating oats while i am still standing at the cart, in town, on another continent.

I honestly expect us to be better, we can't really get much worst.  I will wait and see how it plays out.  What offense and defense we run.  Do these guys have the BBIQ to learn it quickly and then translate that to the floor at game speed.  Can we put the ball in the bucket?  

On paper we should be really good.  But i have heard that same line, in this same forum, in every off season to be drawn in to that trap of excitement again.  So i will wait and see.  Lets see if Coach Woodson is this coaching god everyone seems to think he is.

I just want to see player development.  Passion on the court.  Smart basketball.  The W/L will take care of themselves if we get that.

i agree with this, but was trying to go out of my element with optimism.  i think people will get angry with you.  i was not at all happy with the hire.  i have been extremely happy with what has happened so far.  i'm still not convinced that he is a coaching god, but will be happy to be wrong again.  

• Like 3

With the addition of Bates and Stewart we’ll be an improved shooting team. With the roster turnover in the league TJD will be the best big, and best player likely. Our guard group will likely be towards the top. I could definitely see this team finishing in the top 5 of the Big10 and competing at the top. All depends on them quickly buying in and understanding the system. From a talent standpoint, we’re solid. I’ll be a little disappointed if we don’t have a shot at winning each game we play next year, regardless of the venue; and just as disappointed if we don’t go into the tournament with a decent seed and the confidence to beat anybody / make a run. I won’t be down on the staff in year 1 if it doesn’t happen, as it takes time to establish a system, but I’ll feel like we wasted an opportunity. 

• Like 1

Could be a consistently ranked team if everything goes right.  Who knows if it will, but the talent is there.

Hell even Archie might have been able to coach this team to 20 wins with the roster as currently constructed.  The addition of X, Stewart, and Bates is a total overhaul of our weakest position group, and you still have TJD manning the post.  With hopefully improved scheme/coaching, there’s a lot more potential for next season.

We will not lose to isu and ipfw at home by 30+. 

There will be times where this board says it's the best hire ever followed up the next game by it's the worst hire ever.

Really think we need to add a solid back up for tjd to have this team be what many want it to be. 

Year one let's just sit back and enjoy something new.

• Like 1

revisit now that we pretty much got NW's best player? A stretch forward to fill the remaining glaring hole we had left on the roster? 

We are now at least 2 deep at every position. And we can interchange 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 

X/Lander
Rob/Bates
Stewart/Galloway/Leal
Kopp/Hunter/Geronimo
TJD/Race/Logan

We look good on paper, but now Woody will need to show how he can develop and game plan at the college level. I think we just moved up to a top 15 team in most preseason polls and to the top 3 or 4 in the B1G, but all that is meaningless because it only matters how we finish. Trying not to be overly optimistic, but I think our floor is 20 wins. I think we will finish the regular season ranked and get at least a 5 seed.

Somebody stop me from drinking the Kool-aid! I'm sounding crazy!

....Or am I on to something? 

• Like 6

Difficult to keep expectations low at this point with everything that has happened in just a few weeks but it is necessary to be realistic. New coaching staff, new players, and no idea how it all fits just yet. A lot to be decided but it is looking really good to be a Hoosier fan.

What you can reasonably expect is a faster tempo, more/better three point shooting, a more physically talented team, and more position flexibility. The fact IU, as of today, has a full roster is a stark difference than what we have seen the past four seasons. The competition level at practice should be excellent.

Never understood why Archie would self-impose a roster limit (basically penalizing his program) every season. Maybe you don't always have 13, but we have seen what happens when you go with 9 or 10 and have a prolonged or season-ending injury.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Never understood why Archie would self-impose a roster limit (basically penalizing his program) every season. Maybe you don't always have 13, but we have seen what happens when you go with 9 or 10 and have a prolonged or season-ending injury.

+ 1

I never understood that strategy either. You cannot go from tournament team to bottom of the conference just because one player sprains his ankle. 

• Like 2

With this latest, and probably last, addition I expect us to compete for a conference title and be in a position to make a run in the tournament. The margins between finishing first and fifth, and making a deep tournament run and not, are so slim that it is hard to put an exact finish spot or what round we will make as an expectation for me. 

I believe Woodson and Co. have come in and put us in the best position we could have hoped, and I think roster management and recruiting were probably the biggest question marks for Woodson coming into the college game. 

• Like 6