Next Season Expectations?

26 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

+ 1

I never understood that strategy either. You cannot go from tournament team to bottom of the conference just because one player sprains his ankle. 

Funny to see the new staff come in and rectify this glaring flaw in the roster within like three weeks.  Seems like a no brainer, but I guess the guys running the last staff saw it differently...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Look at the roster as it stands now?

All kidding aside, compare it to every other big ten roster.

Why (beyond we got used to sucking) do we think we can not compete for the top?

Not saying it will happen. But we are not over matched by anybody in this conference, talent wise.

Getting all these new guys in sync, with a new system is a reasonable concern. But talent wise....I do not see us mid level. We have players.

I think we got used to not being good, and just lowered our hopes.

Agree. The key is the system Woodson puts in place and whether or not it will translate to wins. If he is able to implement a successful season next year, then this program is off to the races. To me, that's where Penny Hardaway has fallen short. When he first got hired at Memphis, he had tons of momentum with a monster recruiting class. However, over the last few years, his system has not translated to any meaningful success on the court which has caused him to lose momentum with recruits. 

I'm optimistic that Coach Woodson has turned a corner with this program though. And as any long suffering IU fan will tell you, it's about time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Not saying it will happen. But we are not over matched by anybody in this conference, talent wise.

Getting all these new guys in sync, with a new system is a reasonable concern. But talent wise....I do not see us mid level. We have players.

What I’m thinking. All about gelling and understanding the system as quickly as possible. I could definitely see us finishing at the top with this roster and making a deep run with as good of a shot as most to win it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ #Truth

1 hour ago, JABBATHEHOOSIER said:

Agree. The key is the system Woodson puts in place and whether or not it will translate to wins. If he is able to implement a successful season next year, then this program is off to the races. To me, that's where Penny Hardaway has fallen short. When he first got hired at Memphis, he had tons of momentum with a monster recruiting class. However, over the last few years, his system has not translated to any meaningful success on the court which has caused him to lose momentum with recruits. 

I'm optimistic that Coach Woodson has turned a corner with this program though. And as any long suffering IU fan will tell you, it's about time. 

I know you're not comparing Woodson to Penny, but Woodson has decades of X and O experience in the NBA and Penny had... Not that. 

• Like 4

With the players we have coming back and who we have brought in I would be disappointed in anything below a top five finish in the B1G. As for the NCAA tourney an early exit would suck but since it's Coach Woodson first season and upsets do happen I wouldn't be as disappointed. Just don't make it a habit and turn into Painter. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

I'm trying to temper expectations some....I typically over value our guys in the offseason. Maybe expected too much out of Archie...but I can honestly say this team is much much much more BALANCED team. Players that can score at all 3 levels....addressed a bunch of holes in the roster. Older group of guys overall. Hopefully a much better offensive flow and system. I've got high hopes for this team. It's a tournament team for sure. Should be able to be a top 5 in the conference as well. Compare what we have coming back to what other teams have...we look pretty good. We found some Jimmy and Joes....now its going to be what does Woody do for the X and O's.

32 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I know you're not comparing Woodson to Penny, but Woodson has decades of X and O experience in the NBA and Penny had... Not that. 

Yes, for sure, I know the coaching comparison isn't there. It's mainly just the momentum comparison that I was trying to relate. Although Penny was a successful coach, just not at the college or NBA level. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Maryland has done well in the transfer portal. 

Qudus Wahab from Georgetown,”Fatts” Russell from Rhode Island, and today Ian Martinez from Utah  

Yes. Just an early peak at what is going on in the B1G....gotta think Michigan, Maryland, IU, Purdue, MSU/OSU depending on who goes and comes back. I think Iowa and Illinois take a huge drop and probably Wisconsin as well. I think MSU and IU move back up into contention.

• Like 1

I wonder what CAM would have done with the transfer portal?  He already had Stewart.  Would he have gotten X or Bates?  Would Kopp have come here to be a shooter?  Don't get me wrong, i wanted CAM gone after year 3 so i am not advocating we should have kept him, just something i was thinking about today

This portal thing was a perfect storm for IU getting a new coach, or any school for that matter.  Any kid from any school can just hop in and move this year to a team that wants or needs them.

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I wonder what CAM would have done with the transfer portal?  He already had Stewart.  Would he have gotten X or Bates?  Would Kopp have come here to be a shooter?  Don't get me wrong, i wanted CAM gone after year 3 so i am not advocating we should have kept him, just something i was thinking about today

This portal thing was a perfect storm for IU getting a new coach, or any school for that matter.  Any kid from any school can just hop in and move this year to a team that wants or needs them.

Bates definitely wouldn't have come

8 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I would think if Archie was here we would probably only had like 4 guys remaining from last year.

I am excited about next year! I believe we have added some serious punch to our line up! I also am hoping that if rapid fired threes isn’t working we can also turn to something else to keep us scoring! 
No one wants to bring back the Crean days of Hugh turnovers and no defense! I love up tempo, but hate turn overs. I also hate when a team just comes down and does what ever they want and we can’t stop them. 
you have to admit even under Archie our team gave up and the othe team just took over.