Miller Kopp to IU

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

O.K. smart a**....lol I am just having a hard time figuring out who else would consider leaving....... Honestly, why would anyone else want to leave? Unless you were told your role will be drastically reduced.... This could coaching staff and current roster (on paper) looks NASTY!

I agree completely. But I think we can see two pretty obvious candidates. We'll see. We have had one heckuva offsesaon though. 

6 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I wonder who the "swap in and out" could be?.....It leads me to believe, another current player could enter transfer portal as we have our eyes on an additional key player in the portal. Am I reading this correctly?

Thats the way i take it...Leal and Galloway are said to be IU lifers...maybe someone else isnt liking the way the last couple weeks have went..🤷‍♂️

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree on the redshirting idea.  People argue that kids today don’t want to do it.  But there are programs that still use the redshirt and do so effectively.

We have benefited greatly over the years from a bunch of guys who were  really big for us as fifth year seniors.  

Redshirting really helped Evans and Haston

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree on the redshirting idea.  People argue that kids today don’t want to do it.  But there are programs that still use the redshirt and do so effectively.

We have benefited greatly over the years from a bunch of guys who were  really big for us as fifth year seniors.  

With the portal there is playing time to be had. kids wont redshirt.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So will Lander. 

Oh no doubt. I think Khristian has to take a long hard look at his game and how he can benefit the team and make the most impact and stay on the floor! It won't be by taking 25 footers I can tell you that. If he wants to zero in on being a nuisense on defense...by using those incredible handles and that incredible speed to get into the lane and finish/dish.....sky is the limit and I can even see him starting...but if he wants to settle....yeah he won't see a lot of action. It's all on him. Don't get me wrong he definitely needs to improve his jumper but the kid needs to use all that speed and ability and attack the defense...get into the lane knock down runners and pull ups and drop off dimes to shooters and Trayce. That is how he will see the floor even if he never becomes more than a 33% 3pt shooter.  He has time to develop....lots of it...but this year he needs to become Rajon Rondo...and then work to develop his shot over the next couple years.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

.....right, I don't see Leal, Galloway, Parker or Hunter leaving. Leal and Galloway seem like "Born a Hoosier, Always a Hoosier" type players, and Parker and Hunter posted their admiration and support for Coach Woodson. 

There are only 3 point guards and Lander is 1. I can't see Rob going either.

• Like 1

Interesting pickup... Seems kind of redundant with Hunter, so maybe that’s who the rumored transfer will be.  Hopefully Kopp’s sophomore year wasn’t just a fluke, because his three point shooting numbers were pretty bad as a freshman and junior.  But at least he’s always been lights out at the line.

I figured Mike Woodson was going to go for a more athletic forward, but can’t complain about picking up a 10 ppg Big Ten player who should be able to be a catch and shoot threat at the very least. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Both of those guys add something. I wouldnt want either to go. Galloway needs a shot fix, cant think his dad was a coach. A confident Leal with the green light brings a lot. Is there a ton of mins for either, no, but depends how they improve. someone is going to be 12 and 13.

Not too many Mr. Basketballs sitting 13th on the roster going into their second year...but its a wake up call...IU is about to get back to SERIOUS BASKETBALL!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

You are going to have to earn your minutes 9n this team. Competition is only going to make them so.much better. 

And couple of pretty good coaches named Knight and Izzo always said the players determine who plays...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well two days in a row I wake up and see good news.  Now our roster is set for now and our coaching staff is complete so what will there be to talk about until November.

What will we talk about you ask

The schedule - how many cupcakes are too many

Lineups - we will all be wrong

The annual “who is the X factor thread “

The annual “we are really deep this year thread “ - I might actually buy in to that a bit this year

How much we hate Purdue 

How much we hate UK

How overrated team x is and how website/journalist y has us underrated 

How big a tool Goodman is

Dakich

Any number of rabbit trails about movies, stray animals, old girl friends, etc  

We are HSN, we will manage  

And welcome aboard Koop 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I know I am the Grand High Lord of Optimism around here, but I'm a little reluctant on this one...

I've watched quite a few Northwestern games these past few years, and Kopp impressed me as a sophomore. He's a good shooter when his confidence is up. When it's not, his shot selection goes south as he tries to shoot himself out of it. He's not a particularly good defender, rebounder, or passer. 

Maybe the change in scenery will help, and I also noticed during last season he had a wrap  on his off shooting hand and fingers (left) for a good part of the season. Maybe that was some of it...His last 9 games last year he shot 30% overall and 20% from 3 including an 0-11 performance vs Maryland...

If he can regain his confidence, he can help us...I certainly hope so...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know I am the Grand High Lord of Optimism around here, but I'm a little reluctant on this one...

I've watched quite a few Northwestern games these past few years, and Kopp impressed me as a sophomore. He's a good shooter when his confidence is up. When it's not, his shot selection goes south as he tries to shoot himself out of it. He's not a particularly good defender, rebounder, or passer. 

Maybe the change in scenery will help, and I also noticed during last season he had a wrap  on his off shooting hand and fingers (left) for a good part of the season. Maybe that was some of it...His last 9 games last year he shot 30% overall and 20% from 3 including an 0-11 performance vs Maryland...

He will probably be asked to play a less important role here - might free things up.

I do not think we take this commitment if Woodson was not nearly 100% sure he filled a clear need. It is not like we are trying to fill 5 spots right now. If anything, we start to be in a numbers crunch.

46 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The question is how does redshirting in the year of a free year impact that free year. If you redshirt , do you still keep the extra year or is it burned?

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We aren't asking him to be our 2nd best player though. He has a role, he will be a role player for us. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I really feel like the overall confidence in the team is rising by the minute. The players seem genuinely excited and they will be given green lights until they prove that they don't deserve it.

Kopp might not be the best defender, rebounder or passer, but fortunately, we have other players who excel in those departments. Maybe he doesn't need to be. He can focus on what he's good at.

I'm most excited about the general spacing that Coach Woodson is bringing in. He's going to have a system that allows the space for shooters to shoot, rebounders to rebound, and passing lanes for our quick guards to penetrate and dish.

If feels like there is balance again.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And couple of pretty good coaches named Knight and Izzo always said they players determine who plays...

I cannot stand Izzo... but holy crap, after that thing with Henry happened, after the next game in the press conference he gave one of the all time middle fingers to the media. I LOVED it. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I really feel like the overall confidence in the team is rising by the minute. The players seem genuinely excited and they will be given green lights until they prove that they don't deserve it.

Kopp might not be the best defender, rebounder or passer, but fortunately, we have other players who excel in those departments. Maybe he doesn't need to be. He can focus on what he's good at.

I'm most excited about the general spacing that Coach Woodson is bringing in. He's going to have a system that allows the space for shooters to shoot, rebounders to rebound, and passing lanes for our quick guards to penetrate and dish.

If feels like there is balance again.

....... Reggie Miller.

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

What will we talk about you ask

The schedule - how many cupcakes are too many

Lineups - we will all be wrong

The annual “who is the X factor thread

The annual “we are really deep this year thread “ - I might actually buy in to that a bit this year

How much we hate Purdue 

How much we hate UK

How overrated team x is and how website/journalist y has us underrated 

How big a tool Goodman is

Dakich

Any number of rabbit trails about movies, stray animals, old girl friends, etc  

We are HSN, we will manage  

And welcome aboard Koop 

Does this even need to be debated?? Literally have a player on the team whose nickname is the x factor!! lol

The second one absolutely needs a thread though....who is the  bigger tool.....Goodman or Dakich???

If i had to say who was going to leave from our current players, i would rank them like this

1.Hunter
2.Rob P
3.Galloway
4.Lead

With the addition of so many shooters, Hunter seems the odd man out.  He is a decent shooter but is woefully lacking on the defensive end of the floor.  His BBIQ and situational awareness are also lacking at time which led to bad decision made and the worst possible time.

If Lander makes a huge jump which could be possible, he takes Rob's minutes which puts him in a bad position with sever better shooters coming in who have experience.

Galloway is a hustle guy who isn't particularly great at anything but god does he give you 100% when he is in.  Needs to learn to shoot better and finish at the rim stronger but that will come with age and experience.

Leal is a fantastic shoot and was one of the first to say he wasn't going anywhere and loved the coaching hire.

So my bets are on Hunter going somewhere else.