Miller Kopp to IU

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I cannot stand Izzo... but holy crap, after that thing with Henry happened, after the next game in the press conference he gave one of the all time middle fingers to the media. I LOVED it. 

I think Izzo with MSU is about the equivilant of Coach Knight at IU. So many similarities with coaching methods and their opinion of the media too. I respect him as a coach...can't stand the University for its cover up for players and Izzo's basic silence.

For some of you saying he isn't that good of a shooter....

Nick Zeisloft was a 37% career shooter prior to coming to IU, compared to 36% for Kopp. And Kopp has done that on a higher volume than Nick had coming in playing on a bad team in a better conference. Much like Zeisloft, Kopp has shown he has the mechanics to be a great shooter and I'd expect his numbers to spike in the role he will play for IU as opposed to what he was asked to do at Northwestern. 

Do not be surprised if Kopp is shooting north of 40% from deep for us on 4-5 attempts per game. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We aren't asking him to be our 2nd best player though. He has a role, he will be a role player for us. 

Fair point, but he also has to realize that...As I said, if he misses a couple, he's not the kind that tries to do other things to help win...He keeps shooting and his shot selection suffers...It was terrible in the last 4 or 5 games I saw him play...That has to stop...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Maybe even the Grand Poobah.  😂

For any lurkers who want to sign up.  Boom. There’s a screen name.   You’re welcome. 

Seriously, though, thanks for the research. 

For what its worth, i agree with IUFLA on this and i never agree with him.  I am more likely to agree with IU Scott, and we know how much we love each other, than with IUFLA.

Kopp is a smart kid, can't get into Northwestern without it, and will help with our grade averages and all that.  He is a capable shooter who struggled last year.  Maybe with 8-10 minutes a game and him not needing to be the sole scorer or being open more will help him out.  But this one is a gamble, but i like the pickup never the less

Edited by IowaHoosierFan

Just now, IUFLA said:

Fair point, but he also has to realize that...As I said, if he misses a couple, he's not the kind that tries to do other things to help win...He keeps shooting and his shot selection suffers...It was terrible in the last 4 or 5 games I saw him play...That has to stop...

He won't be on the court if he isn't hitting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If his role is to be a sniper, which is exactly what I believe will be his role, then he needs to keep shooting with confidence if he is on the floor. 

I'll be thrilled if Kopp and Hunter are both shooting 4-5 attempts per game playing ~20 minutes. They're both capable of shooting 40%+ from deep and it will really open things up for TJD inside if that is happening. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Nick Zeisloft was a 37% career shooter prior to coming to IU, compared to 36% for Kopp. And Kopp has done that on a higher volume than Nick had coming in playing on a bad team in a better conference. Much like Zeisloft, Kopp has shown he has the mechanics to be a great shooter and I'd expect his numbers to spike in the role he will play for IU as opposed to what he was asked to do at Northwestern. 

Do not be surprised if Kopp is shooting north of 40% from deep for us on 4-5 attempts per game. 

Agree. Shot 36% on guarded shots. You watch our highlights from when Zeisloft played... does he ever shoot one where there is a hand in his face? lol HE IS ALWAYS OPEN..... Ferrell, Troy, Bryant, Rob Johnson were the reason why he was always open. That and the pace we were willing to play at. I do think he will shoot 38% or better, I really do. I think Parker will, as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He's got great form, and I'm sure he puts up plenty of shots in practice...It's his confidence that needs rebuilding...He's a confident kid overall, but I saw him miss some shots badly last year...I don't know, maybe the hand affected him more than what was thought...

And I would not be surprised if he shot 40+ % from 3 this year...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Everyone will NOT play this year. I look at a couple guys like Galloway and Leal and they will have to work very very hard to carve out a role on this team. Heck they might even should think red shirting if there minutes get soaked up. That said I'm not interested in losing either one of them. If a change happens it happens...but I think they still have a lot to bring to the future of IU basketball. Maybe it isn't this year but perhaps next year. Competition is great...especially in practice. It will also force kids to figure out what they have to improve to see the court. The deficiencies in our offense looked very much addressed. It's funny all the things we have been crying for 4 seasons got fixed in one off season. We just added dynamic back court that will play much more aggressive and fast. We added shooting! We added veteran players. It's like someone has been reading our game threads for the past two years and said....ok..I'll go get that! Love it!

I have to wonder.  Does Woodson, after viewing video and/or workouts, sit down with some players and say "You have potential and I know we can improve your game, but you probably will never be in the NBA.  So it may be in your best interest to redshirt for a year to improve your game and body."?  I presume every player dreams of playing professionally and it may be hard to accept being told it is very unlikely to come to fruition, but a kid can play on a competitive team, and carve out a special role as opposed to sitting with the walkons.

• Like 1

Definitely dont love it. Dont even know if i like it. I think Hunter could do a better job than what Kopp is offering overall. Seems like a step in the wrong direction, albeit a very very small step. i would have rather seen a starter and not a role player fill the spot if in fact someone is/has to move on. More so an actually big man that can step out. Kopp is a tweener, not quite fits the bill of a 4.

However, in the coaching staff i trust. They havent done anything to this point for me to question.

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Definitely dont love it. Dont even know if i like it. I think Hunter could do a better job than what Kopp is offering overall. Seems like a step in the wrong direction, albeit a very very small step. i would have rather seen a starter and not a role player fill the spot if in fact someone is/has to move on. More so an actually big man that can step out. Kopp is a tweener, not quite fits the bill of a 4.

However, in the coaching staff i trust. They havent done anything to this point for me to question.

TJD is our FIVE.

Understand that? We aren’t getting a starting five.  

Four out and one in means what to you? It means your four must be able to shoot. Gonzaga and Baylor started a 6’7” and 6’5” at the four last year.  Just 🛑 

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He won't be on the court if he isn't hitting. 

Whatever happened last year I'm sure he and the coaches have figured it out. Literally like game 2 or 3 into the losing streak Kopp's shooting just took a nose dive. Now...we must know what caused it and if it can be corrected but I look for him to benefit a lot from what this team possess. Given the players around him....guys like Xavier and Stewart and hopefully Lander finds his game plus the attention Trayce gets down low....should open the floor for him.

20 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Hunter has not been very good at playing basketball at Indiana, at all. Kopp has over 3 times as many career points scored. I guess I don't understand how someone that avged 13p 4r and shot 39% from 3 and is 6'7 could be a bad thing? 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I have to wonder.  Does Woodson, after viewing video and/or workouts, sit down with some players and say "You have potential and I know we can improve your game, but you probably will never be in the NBA.  So it may be in your best interest to redshirt for a year to improve your game and body."?  I presume every player dreams of playing professionally and it may be hard to accept being told it is very unlikely to come to fruition, but a kid can play on a competitive team, and carve out a special role as opposed to sitting with the walkons.

I think you have to be real with the kids. You aren't sending 13 kids to the nba....you might send 1 or 2 a year but even that is just 4-8 in a 4 year period....everyone isn't making it to NBA. Pro leagues...maybe the rest. I think this is the "hard" talk that Fife comes in and talked about. Not sugar coating it. Your game isn't where it needs to be. To get there we need an extra year to prepare you....and that is where you either listen or you look for the first open door. If you go out that door for more minutes right away...that doesn't necessarily mean you are going to end up a better ball player by the end of your career though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Hunter has not been very good at playing basketball at Indiana, at all. Kopp has over 3 times as many career points scored. I guess I don't understand how some that avged 13p 4r and shot 39% from 3 and is 6'7 could be a bad thing? 

It definitely isn't a bad thing at ALL. I will just say this about Hunter...out of all the players that struggled the last couple years....obviously not Trayce....but more so than Race, Rob, and any of the freshman last year....Jerome I think will benefit the most from this new offense. I know he has defensive issues. I know his motor needs to be turned up a couple notches on the boards and defense...but this new program should be tailor made for him to excel. He was NOT utilized effectively at ALL imo last year. The times he was getting some good burn Armaan was down and he was literally the only shooter on the floor for a majority of the minutes sharing time with two guards that dribbled the shot clock down to 5 seconds time and again......ughhh I want to forget it all!!!! If he chooses to stay and buy in....I think he can be a major contributor and can even start if he works at it hard enough!

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

It definitely isn't a bad thing at ALL. I will just say this about Hunter...out of all the players that struggled the last couple years....obviously not Trayce....but more so than Race, Rob, and any of the freshman last year....Jerome I think will benefit the most from this new offense. I know he has defensive issues. I know his motor needs to be turned up a couple notches on the boards and defense...but this new program should be tailor made for him to excel. He was NOT utilized effectively at ALL imo last year. The times he was getting some good burn Armaan was down and he was literally the only shooter on the floor for a majority of the minutes sharing time with two guards that dribbled the shot clock down to 5 seconds time and again......ughhh I want to forget it all!!!! If he chooses to stay and buy in....I think he can be a major contributor and can even start if he works at it hard enough!

I can agree with some of the Hunter stuff for sure. He has double the amount of turnovers as he does assists for his career. That's not a good thing. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A pic of what I was talking about re hand/finger injury on his off hand...

MK.PNG.f7cd38c60645b1d9ebca9c6d9f74918d.PNG

I hope it was just that....that looks like a simple dislocated finger...to me his issues were he took a lot of contested looks as opposed to getting open looks he saw in the past. Teams keyed in on denying him those shots and were content with NW other guards beating them from the perimeter. Once the losing started...it also kind of turned into a Rob situation...even the missing got in his head a bit. I saw a few times I think he almost was like...well the offense isn't moving..it isn't working...guys aren't making things happen it's my turn to shoot and I'm letting it fly whether it's the right shot for us or not....and that didn't work out well for him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I can agree with some of the Hunter stuff for sure. He has double the amount of turnovers as he does assists for his career. That's not a good thing. 

Hunter is not a facilitator for SURE. He really doesn't need to be putting the ball on the floor honestly....and that is the kind of stuff Archie wanted to do with all our wings was that dribble hand off stuff and get down hill. Not his strength at all. Hunter should have been a floor spacer and he is also great flashing to the rim and coming off screens and shooting that 10 foot curl. I think Woodson will find a perfect role for him. I also think Woodson will preach defense but be flexible in that he won't sacrifice shooting and scoring just to have the best 5 defenders on the floor. Archie would lose a game 51-50 and still blame our defense. Think Woody will have a healthier balance...somewhere between Crean and Archie in his focus on the defensive end but not sacrificing what we do well on the offensive end.

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hunter has not been very good at playing basketball at Indiana, at all. Kopp has over 3 times as many career points scored. I guess I don't understand how someone that avged 13p 4r and shot 39% from 3 and is 6'7 could be a bad thing? 

i'm onboard with the Kopp addition, but i am curious why you go back to previous years for him and Stewart when giving stats?  he shot 33% last year.  wouldn't that be more relevant?  i get your point with Stewart about the volume of bad shots, etc., but at the same time it was against less talent as well.  either way, i'm excited about the pickups, but to me they come in as 34.8% and 33% shooters.