Miller Kopp to IU

I think more than concentrating on height; we should be be focusing on the ability to rebound. OSU was undersized but they were physical and Sueing and Liddell were pretty good rebounders. 

If we want Jerome or Kopp playing along side Trayce in the 4 position then they need to show that they can crash the boards. If they can't, then we'll seeing a lot of the Race and Trayce show, IMO..... especially in B1G play. 

I don't think this is necessarily an 'old school' way of thinking. It's just covering an area we can be potentially be exposed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Yeah, how I feel about this is that 3's are worth more than 2's.  Having two 7-footers isn't going to be an advantage if the guys they have to guard are running circles around them and torching them from three.

Like Woodson said in his hiring press conference, the three point line has changed the game.  In that sense, I think you build the roster to compete in the tournament, not dominate the Big Ten, and that means having one great post player and a few who can back him up, and several elite guards.

Dominant guard play wins in March....you may have a dominant big on a championship team from time to time but we've all seen it repeated over and over. Teams with great guard play win come tournament time. Sure you would love to be balanced and have both and we do have a great low post player...but I say play our game and let the chips fall. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Dakich I can agree with, but Goodman most definitely does not like IU. His obsessive tweeting about IU will plummet once the Hoosiers are back winning consistently.

If he does not like IU, then his strategy is bad. I think the publicity is good for us. 

Edit: Dakich definitely wants IU to be good... he just also want Alford as the head coach.

Edited by GaloisGroupe
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think more than concentrating on height; we should be be focusing on the ability to rebound. OSU was undersized but they were physical and Sueing and Liddell were pretty good rebounders. 

If we want Jerome or Kopp playing along side Trayce in the 4 position then they need to show that they can crash the boards. If they can't, then we'll seeing a lot of the Race and Trayce show, IMO..... especially in B1G play. 

I don't think this is necessarily an 'old school' way of thinking. It's just covering an area we can be potentially be exposed. 

But to combat that you send your guards to crash the boards too. You rebound as a team. Been awhile since we have had multiple 6'5 guards to go crashing the boards to help the bigs down low. No minnie mouse 6'0 pgs down there. We go long across the board we will be all right. Rebounding is about desire...effort. Don't get me wrong it might happen someone exploits a weakness but we can play multiple ways. If we HAD to go big...we can.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Livers isn coming back for UM and haven't heard from 6'9 Wagner

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Harrar (PSU) is in the transfer portal...

I'd add Zed Key and/or Brunk to OSU

57 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Oh, and Ryan Young from Northwestern...

Ok guys..I said help me lol...I can't keep up with all 1500 players in the portal. I just know most B1G teams didn't play multiple bigs last year. In fact we were as big as anyone in combo. I also don't see teams even being as big as last year. Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Minn, Rutgers all lost their bigs. I think it is safe to assume if we teach rebounding as a team and get effort from all positions...we shouldn't have to worry about getting exploited. Heck last year we saw Jordan Geronimo a 6'6 freshman hold his own and actually give the Naismith winner all he could handle. If we get our guys to play up to their size...and not down....we will be just fine.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

This is precisely my point. and dont forget defense. Great Kopp can shoot. Awesome. But TJD with Kopp at the 4 rebounding and defense will be an issue. We will see how it plays out, but i would hate to think that Kopp's commitment forces someone out. I would say Kopp is a lateral move from JH overall. I was hoping for a outright starter not a role player, especially if it forces someone out. But F me for having an opinion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

This is precisely my point. and dont forget defense. Great Kopp can shoot. Awesome. But TJD with Kopp at the 4 rebounding and defense will be an issue. We will see how it plays out, but i would hate to think that Kopp's commitment forces someone out. I would say Kopp is a lateral move from JH overall. I was hoping for a outright starter not a role player, especially if it forces someone out. But F me for having an opinion.

I don’t think he’s playing the four for the most part.  He might here and there.  He’s more of a three IMO.  He averaged under 3 rebounds a game.  

I appreciate that stretch fours in many cases are Miller’s height, but more goes into playing the four than height. Miller isn’t particularly physical and you will need someone tougher.  

I also think people are sleeping on Race.  He can play in a one-in, four out alignment.  He can still play out without being a prolific shooter.  @BGleascan weigh in but he had an excellent observation a couple of weeks ago that Baylor had fours that were away from the basket even though they didn’t shoot from deep much.   You can head hunt for picks, facilitate for others with passes, and then crash the offensive glass.  I am sure he will work on his jumper too.  He can play in a manner that keeps the floor open even if he’s not shooting a lot from deep.  

Conditioning will be huge.  Trayce will get heavy minutes. Race is too good of a player to just be a backup for Trayce. He’s likely going to be heavily involved at the four.   He’s physical defensively and Woody will want that out there.  He returned for a reason and it wasn’t to be Trayce’s backup.

With the change in coaches and the system, plus several months of development (both in the weight room and on the court) with new coaches, there are so many unknowns.  We can speculate.  But it’s fuzzy right now. This time last year, a lot of very smart people thought Lander would start. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t think he’s playing the four for the most part.  He might here and there.  He’s more of a three IMO.  He averaged under 3 rebounds a game.  

I appreciate that stretch fours in many cases are Miller’s height, but more goes into playing the four than height. Miller isn’t particularly physical and you will need someone tougher.  

I also think people are sleeping on Race.  He can play in a one-in, four out alignment.  He can still play out without being a prolific shooter.  @BGleascan weigh in but he had an excellent observation a couple of weeks ago that Baylor had fours that were away from the basket even though they didn’t shoot from deep much.   You can head hunt for picks, facilitate for others with passes, and then crash the offensive glass.  I am sure he will work on his jumper too.  He can play in a manner that keeps the floor open even if he’s not shooting a lot from deep.  

Conditioning will be huge.  Trayce will get heavy minutes. Race is too good of a player to just be a backup for Trayce. He’s likely going to be heavily involved at the four.   He’s physical defensively and Woody will want that out there.  He returned for a reason and it wasn’t to be Trayce’s backup.

With the change in coaches and the system, plus several months of development (both in the weight room and on the court) with new coaches, there are so many unknowns.  We can speculate.  But it’s fuzzy right now. This time last year, a lot of very smart people thought Lander would start. 

Yeah I don’t pretend to figure it all out. Geronimo and Hunter feel more like stretch 4s. Kopp is a wing in my eyes. Maybe if a team goes small he can slide over but I don’t see him playing a ton at the 4. We are all assuming this guy starts or this one...but no one really knows.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I don’t pretend to figure it all out. Geronimo and Hunter feel more like stretch 4s. Kopp is a wing in my eyes. Maybe if a team goes small he can slide over but I don’t see him playing a ton at the 4. We are all assuming this guy starts or this one...but no one really knows.

Hunter to me I’d actually really good with his back to the basket. To me he can only play the 4 though if he learns to stop fouling 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ledies22 said:

He averaged double what Hunter did!

• Like 1

I get the want/need to compare players against one another, but I'm seeing a tendency to cannibalize our returning players to justify the new additions. There's a reason there are 13 scholarship openings; that's the benefit of having a variety of different players with unique skillsets.

We have a full roster and in my eyes, I'm happy with that. I don't want, nor do feel it necessary, to speculate on who is "feeling the squeeze" and could leave. Until a player announces otherwise, they are Hoosiers and I'm going to support them and hope they work their a**es off to make this program great again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2