Miller Kopp to IU

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

Scoring not even close.He has had many big games.Upgrade definitely!!

Sorry. I was unaware I mentioned scoring. Kopp was a starter and 2/3 scoring option. Averaged double the shot attempts with 3% worse for fg % last year. 
Kopp per was 12.4 last year

JH per was 11.0 last year 

the issue isnt the scoring. The issue is rebounding and defense. Which I would say JH is better at at least playing the 4 spot. 

my issue isn’t that we got Kopp. I’m not sure where he’ll fit in. The coaching staff does and that’s great. The word is IU isn’t done shuffling around yet. So who’s on the outs for the next incoming. Leal? Galloway? Hunter? Is Kopp worth losing one of those guys or someone else? I don’t know. let’s see how it plays out and make judgements then. It’s not December 23rd, but I just wanted to air my grievances. More of an open concern at the moment. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Sorry. I was unaware I mentioned scoring. Kopp was a starter and 2/3 scoring option. Averaged double the shot attempts with 3% worse for fg % last year. 

the issue isnt the scoring. The issue is rebounding and defense. Which I would say JH is better at at least playing the 4 spot. 

my issue isn’t that we got Kopp. I’m not sure where he’ll fit in. The coaching staff does and that’s great. The word is IU isn’t done shuffling around yet. So who’s on the outs for the next incoming. Leal? Galloway? Hunter? Is Kopp worth losing one of those guys or someone else? I don’t know. let’s see how it plays out and make judgements then. It’s not December 23rd, but I just wanted to air my grievances. More of an open concern at the moment. 

Is he worth losing one of those guys? Yes, the one that doesn’t play a lick of defense and has brain farts constantly. 

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Kopp and Hunter’s per 40 numbers were pretty similar last season — seems like we’re hoping that Kopp can regain his form from his sophomore year.  I think they’re basically the same player, but it can’t hurt to add another shooter.

Difference is usage and where he plays. I don’t think Kopp is going to be running around doing what he did at NW. Watch some videos.  Don’t think he will be running around shooting to shoot.  He is more a four than a two or three no matter what people are saying.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

Miller Kopp was one of the best players on a Big Ten team the past few seasons. The notion that he isn't better than those three is frankly very silly. 

And I'm a big fan of all three of those guys, but it just isn't even a comparison right now. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Miller Kopp was one of the best players on a Big Ten team the past few seasons.

His sophomore season you might have been able to make that case, but last year? I'm not sure how many Northwestern games you watched last year (I watched probably 12-15), but he had more bad games than he had good...No way he was one of the best players in the B1G...

And, as I said, maybe the offensive woes had to do with the hand...and as @ledies22 mentioned, he's not even a good rebounder or defender...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ledies22 said:

I listened to Assembly Call last night; they thought that JH has the higher ceiling, but the problem is that JH is really streaky; at times he makes bad plays and has defensive lapses. When this happens we now have Kopp to sub in. Plus, Kopp was asked to do a lot last year and the belief is that he’ll be much more efficient this year on offense. 

Kopp is a good team defender by the numbers. Last year he was a plus defender, primarily defending the 4. I do agree that he will need to rebound better. 

Kopp is going to get minutes next year though. He’s too good, too smart and too experienced not to. It surprises me that you can’t see him fitting in next year because I felt like we’ve been missing a player of his size and skill since Watford. *Not comparing him directly to CWat*. Let’s just say playing the hot hand between JH + Kopp = a ‘CWat-like contribution.’ 

Where have you heard that roster isn’t done shuffling around? Not saying it isn’t possible, but I haven’t seen any rumors about this. And if that’s the case then oh well, we severely needed to upgrade the talent. We finally have a roster that can compete in this conference on a nightly basis and practices are going to be fierce. 

• Like 5

Kopp has 8 career games over 20p and 39 games in double figures including 14 of 15 in his SO year. Hunter 0 career games over 20p and 7 games in double figures. 

It's pretty clear why we were interested in bringing in another "shooter" and another guy that can play the 4. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Miller Kopp was one of the best players on a Big Ten team the past few seasons. The notion that he isn't better than those three is frankly very silly. 

And I'm a big fan of all three of those guys, but it just isn't even a comparison right now. 

This is the third time someone is arguing a point that i never made. I never said that leal or galloway were better than Kopp. and i said overall Kopp was probably a lateral move for Hunter if you we were to compare them at the 4. 

I dont want to give up leal or galloway for someone who has 2 less years of eligibility that is going to come in as a role player. I guess i dont know everyone else's expectations. I see Kopp playing +/- 10 minutes a game averaging 6 points. 

I guess i have a little more sentiment for Hunter than others do. For someone who came in a year early to red shirt, then get hurt. on the bench for 2+ seasons before seeing the court and gutting it out in an IU uniform. 

To say Kopp has been one of the best B1G players last few seasons? I dont recall seeing his name on the award lists. not first team. not second team. not third team. not even honorable mention. according to the media and coaches of the B1G Kopp isnt even a top 25 player in the B1G.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I listened to Assembly Call last night; they thought that JH has the higher ceiling, but the problem is that JH is really streaky; at times he makes bad plays and has defensive lapses. When this happens we now have Kopp to sub in. Plus, Kopp was asked to do a lot last year and the belief is that he’ll be much more efficient this year on offense. 

Kopp is a good team defender by the numbers. Last year he was a plus defender, primarily defending the 4. I do agree that he will need to rebound better. 

Kopp is going to get minutes next year though. He’s too good, too smart and too experienced not to. It surprises me that you can’t see him fitting in next year because I felt like we’ve been missing a player of his size and skill since Watford. *Not comparing him directly to CWat*. Let’s just say playing the hot hand between JH + Kopp = a ‘CWat-like contribution.’ 

Where have you heard that roster isn’t done shuffling around? Not saying it isn’t possible, but I haven’t seen any rumors about this. And if that’s the case then oh well, we severely needed to upgrade the talent. We finally have a roster that can compete in this conference on a nightly basis and practices are going to be fierce. 

It has been mentioned on boards and a podcast. Cant remember which podcast. 

10 hours ago, ledies22 said:

I think it's fairly clear where he will fit in. He is going to sit in a corner and shoot wide open 3s offensively. Same with JH. The one that shoots the best consistently, and does the little things the best is going to earn the mins. 

I don't really have an issue w/JH.. but he has earned nothing. That is on him. Competition is a good thing. I hope this pisses JH off, I really do. I don't really see any area to be concerned here... we noticed a position where we weren't very strong, or deep... we addressed that with a guy that's scored 870p at a B1G school. Heck of a pickup. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Kopp has 8 career games over 20p and 39 games in double figures including 14 of 15 in his SO year. Hunter 0 career games over 20p and 7 games in double figures. 

It's pretty clear why we were interested in bringing in another "shooter" and another guy that can play the 4. 

Hunter has never proven that he is a B1G caliber player. That could be because of the setbacks from his medical condition or he just isn't good enough. He hasn't been able to defend or shoot consistently. Most of that could've been because of the lack of player development that's gone on too. So this will be a big year for Hunter. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The minutes and expectations for Miller Kopp versus Jerome Hunter were quite different...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

This is the third time someone is arguing a point that i never made. I never said that leal or galloway were better than Kopp. and i said overall Kopp was probably a lateral move for Hunter if you we were to compare them at the 4. 

I dont want to give up leal or galloway for someone who has 2 less years of eligibility that is going to come in as a role player. I guess i dont know everyone else's expectations. I see Kopp playing +/- 10 minutes a game averaging 6 points. 

I guess i have a little more sentiment for Hunter than others do. For someone who came in a year early to red shirt, then get hurt. on the bench for 2+ seasons before seeing the court and gutting it out in an IU uniform. 

To say Kopp has been one of the best B1G players last few seasons? I dont recall seeing his name on the award lists. not first team. not second team. not third team. not even honorable mention. according to the media and coaches of the B1G Kopp isnt even a top 25 player in the B1G.

KOB is saying he was on the best players on his team the last two years.... which was a B1G team. Not that he was one of the best in the B1G. 

"gutting it out" has nothing to do with this whole discussion though. I agree... some games he'll play 8m, some he will play 28m... and avg 6p-8p a game. 

As of now, with what JH has shown... it's an upgrade at either position you want to compare them at. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Hunter has never proven that he is a B1G caliber player. That could be because of the setbacks from his medical condition or he just isn't good enough. He hasn't been able to defend or shoot consistently. Most of that could've been because of the lack of player development that's gone on too. So this will be a big year for Hunter. 

100% I hope he has a chip on his shoulder. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Thats apples and oranges. A starter and the 2/3 scoring option plays over 30 minutes a game. to a role player that plays less than 20.

Per 40 minute stats via sports reference:

Kopp: 14.3 pts 1.4 assists 3.9 rebounds

Hunter 12.8 pts 1.0 assists 6.0 rebounds 

4 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Thats apples and oranges. A starter and the 2/3 scoring option plays over 30 minutes a game. to a role player that plays less than 20.

Per 40 minute stats via sports reference:

Kopp: 14.3 pts 1.4 assists 3.9 rebounds

Hunter 12.8 pts 1.0 assists 6.0 rebounds 

Per 40 mins is irrelevant, as well. It's not something that they have actually done. It's a projection. I have no use for projections or fake stats. He plays over 30mpg because he was one of their best players. Why wasn't JH one of our best players on a BAD team last year? 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

KOB is saying he was on the best players on his team the last two years.... which was a B1G team. Not that he was one of the best in the B1G.

Rereading, I see what you're saying, but even that is debatable for last year... 

12 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

i would be surprised if Kopp played that little.  

14 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

i'd be surprised if Kopp played that few minutes.  he was the 2nd leading scorer on a team that beat us once.  he averaged the most minutes played on that team.  the guys you mention averaged 6.3, 3.6, and 1.6ppg.  they played 19.6, 19.6, and 11.6mpg.  i didn't know Hunter came a year early.  he didn't did he?

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

That Miller Kopp was one of NWs best players last year? He is their 2nd leading scorer lol 

How many times did you watch them? Stats can show some things, but not everything...

He was NW's 2nd leading scorer, but he was also 6th among players who averaged double digit minutes in FG percentage...6th among NW players who shot more than 57 3s in 3 point percentage...He launched a lot of shots...THAT is how he was the 2nd leading scorer on the team...

I guess if were saying ANY starter on a B1G team is "one of the best on the team" you and @KoB2011would be correct...

Watching them, Audige, Nance, Beren, and Young all played better basketball in my opinion...