Miller Kopp to IU

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Per 40 mins is irrelevant, as well. It's not something that they have actually done. It's a projection. I have no use for projections or fake stats. He plays over 30mpg because he was one of their best players. Why wasn't JH one of our best players on a BAD team last year? 

Now don't go around picking on metrics.  LOL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Per 40 mins is irrelevant, as well. It's nothing something that have actually done. It's a projection. I have no use for projections or fake stats. He plays over 30mpg because he was one of their best players. Why wasn't JH one of our best players on a BAD team last year? 

How about player efficiency rating then (PER)? 

Kopp: 10.8 last year 11.3 career

Hunter: 12.8 laster year 10.8 career

• Like 1

No one is saying (at least I'm not) that we don't want Kopp...I think maybe the change of scenery, offense, and recovery from whatever his finger issues are could lead to him being a valuable piece...But I do think Jerome Hunter is as good, if not better, option at this point...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

How many times did you watch them? Stats can show some things, but not everything...

He was NW's 2nd leading scorer, but he was also 6th among players who averaged double digit minutes in FG percentage...6th among NW players who shot more than 57 3s in 3 point percentage...He launched a lot of shots...THAT is how he was the 2nd leading scorer on the team...

I guess if were saying ANY starter on a B1G team is "one of the best on the team" you and @KoB2011would be correct...

Watching them, Audige, Nance, Beren, and Young all played better basketball in my opinion...

He literally took less than 10 shots a game... on average. "He launched a lot of shots... that is how he was the 2nd leading scorer".... for one you have to shoot to score, for two less than 10 shots a game is no where near a lot of shots. I mean his shooting percentages were well documented last year? 

What are you trying to prove here? Just that he wasn't one of NW's best player last year? I guess I am confused of the relevance of that opinion? 

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Kopp has 8 career games over 20p and 39 games in double figures including 14 of 15 in his SO year. Hunter 0 career games over 20p and 7 games in double figures. 

It's pretty clear why we were interested in bringing in another "shooter" and another guy that can play the 4. 

I'm trying to make sense of everything here.  What was he 14 of 15 of his sophomore year?

I see he was in double figures 23 of 31 games.  Above 20 6 times.  

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

I'm trying to make sense of everything here.  What was he 14 of 15 of his sophomore year?

I see he was in double figures 23 of 31 games.  Above 20 6 times.  

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/miller-kopp-1.html

14 of 15 games his SO year he was over 10p. He has 6 games as a SO over 20 and 2 games as a JR over 20. 

Edited by btownqb

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i would be surprised if Kopp played that little.  

i'd be surprised if Kopp played that few minutes.  he was the 2nd leading scorer on a team that beat us once.  he averaged the most minutes played on that team.  the guys you mention averaged 6.3, 3.6, and 1.6ppg.  they played 19.6, 19.6, and 11.6mpg.  i didn't know Hunter came a year early.  he didn't did he?

That's fair. I mean i guess im a little eh on this. Kinda like you were with the coaching hire. Thought we could get someone better maybe? Im willing to eat crow on this.

Im fairly confident he reclassified and came a year early to redshirt. I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No one is saying (at least I'm not) that we don't want Kopp...I think maybe the change of scenery, offense, and recovery from whatever his finger issues are could lead to him being a valuable piece...But I do think Jerome Hunter is as good, if not better, option at this point...

I really don't think it's close between Kopp and Hunter... at this point. And the staff for sure sees we need another option. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

That's fair. I mean i guess im a little eh on this. Kinda like you were with the coaching hire. Thought we could get someone better maybe? Im willing to eat crow on this.

Im fairly confident he reclassified and came a year early to redshirt. I could be wrong. 

Race did that, not Hunter.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

very fair outlook.  you know i was eh on the hire and i am feeling much better about it.  yes, i did think we could get someone better and will be happy if i'm wrong!  i see your point that Kopp isn't super exciting, but i think it is pretty solid.  i had my hopes up for Brooks or Bates' 6'11'' teammate.  i just have not been impressed with Hunter.  could Hunter be better than Kopp this year?  absolutely!  i personally would bet on Kopp's consistent contribution more than Jerome's.  something seems to be off with him.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/miller-kopp-1.html

14 of 15 games his SO year he was over 10p. He has 6 games as a SO over 20 and 2 games as a JR over 20. 

Still confused.  He played in 31 games his sophomore year scoring in double figures 23 times out of 31.  Where is the 14 of 15 coming from?

Screenshot_20210421-092303.png

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What are you trying to prove here? Just that he wasn't one of NW's best player last year?

I stated above I thought Audige, Nance, Beren, and Ryan Young all played better than Kopp last year...

I thought for the most part during Northwestern's 13 game losing streak he shot 37% overall and 25% from 3...And yes, he (and Boo Buie) shot them out of a few of those games...

Just now, rico said:

Most of this discussion, while entertaining, is moot.  We got a new sheriff in town.  He will have the final say.

for sure, but that's what these boards are for right!?  the thing e can all agree on is that competing with a clean slate for a new coach outta make everyone better and whoever wins those battles going into the season outta be pretty solid producers.  

Can we just settle on that Kopp and Hunter are both good players and they have the ability to be better next year and fill a much needed role? Hunter needs to be more consistent and Kopp needs to be more efficient. The whole point is that we had no depth at the spot for when Jerome turned into 'bad Jerome'. Somebody with length, can guard the 4 and spread the floor. Now we do. Problem solved. 

The staff had the ability to be very stingy with that last spot. The fact that they got Kopp so early indicates that they wanted him. Fife and Kenya saw his ability first hand last year. Trust the staff until they give us a reason not to. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Still confused.  He played in 31 games his sophomore year scoring in double figures 23 times out of 31.  Where is the 14 of 15 coming from?

Screenshot_20210421-092303.png

You have that column group by total points in a game. I have mine group by the dates of each game. 12/21 vs DePaul to 2/18 vs. Maryland. He scored in double figures 14 of 15 games. 

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Can we just settle on that Kopp and Hunter are both good players and they have the ability to be better next year and fill a much needed role? Hunter needs to be more consistent and Kopp needs to be more efficient. The whole point is that we had no depth at the spot for when Jerome turned into 'bad Jerome'. Somebody with length, can guard the 4 and spread the floor. Now we do. Problem solved. 

The staff had the ability to be very stingy with that last spot. The fact that they got Kopp so early indicates that they wanted him. Fife and Kenya saw his ability first hand last year. Trust the staff until they give us a reason not to. 

But where have we seen that to say that? All I'm asking. I have not seen that.