Miller Kopp to IU

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

No i just like your ... he played the most minutes argument lol. Tom Pritchard played the most minutes in 08-09 season.

Without going back through this thread, i have a hunch not 1 single person said Kopp wasnt a good shooter. 

You are trying to erase half of the B1G season for Kopp to fit your narrative. I am sure there are A LOT of players i can erase 1/2 the B1G season and make them godsends.

Again I do not believe ANYONE has said they are against this. I think for those who are not creaming their pants about it just think that their could have potentially been someone better. Who knows. I dont. Initial gut reaction was... this ....okaaaaay. Not a jump up and down screaming excitement.  

Yeah, playing the most minutes on a Big Ten team absolutely means something. If it doesn't to you... you have a very different way of evaluating basketball and experience than I do. Bringing up the 08-09 Indiana team as a counter point shows how incredibly weak your argument is, though.

I'm not trying to erase 9 games, I'm pointing out that over the course of his 3 year career those 9 games are the outlier. He's played 84 games in his career, and for 75 of those games he shot basically 40% from three. That's a significantly more valuable sample than the 9 games you want to harp on. 

And I'd say if your reaction is, "we could have gotten someone better" then you are pretty clearly against this, because you'd have rather we wait and gotten someone better. No one is screaming with excitement, but some people realize you can't have 13 alpha players on your team and having a role player that is a knock down shooter at 6'7 and has played a lot of Big Ten basketball is without question a good thing to add. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

No i just like your ... he played the most minutes argument lol. Tom Pritchard played the most minutes in 08-09 season.

Without going back through this thread, i have a hunch not 1 single person said Kopp wasnt a good shooter. 

You are trying to erase half of the B1G season for Kopp to fit your narrative. I am sure there are A LOT of players i can erase 1/2 the B1G season and make them godsends.

Again I do not believe ANYONE has said they are against this. I think for those who are not creaming their pants about it just think that their could have potentially been someone better. Who knows. I dont. Initial gut reaction was... this ....okaaaaay. Not a jump up and down screaming excitement.  

Based on your last paragraph it might be a good idea to petition for JH to find a new home bc Kopp is clearly better overall. 

• Like 1

Ok guys...we don't all have to agree all the time. Chalk @ledies22 as not on the Kopp hype. It's quite ok. He is reasonable in his reasoning even if a lot of people have a different opinion on how he will fair here. Personally I think he can put up similar numbers on much fewer minutes and shots and become a very efficient player on our team. Not sure he will start or if he even needs to start to help the team. He had a REALLY UP & DOWN year last year. It's just as relevant to point to the half of the season he played poorly why someone isn't thrilled at the prospect of adding him as to point at the first half. I do think we have enough data on the kid to say a few things. Kid can be a VERY good shooter if given good looks. Kid has good size for a wing. Kid needs to really focus on the dirty work of rebounding and defense to give us the most bang for the buck. If he wanted to guarantee himself more playing time and shots he would have stayed where he was. I think he came here to win basketball games and become a better player. I think this offense and Woody will bring out the best in him....if not...he will be a non factor. We've had plenty of those on the team over the years...won't be like anything we haven't seen before. Nobody is going to be right or wrong on the accessment for at least 7-8 months so lets just see how it plays out.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Based on your last paragraph it might be a good idea to petition for JH to find a new home bc Kopp is clearly better overall. 

Very difficult to compare 2 players on different teams...As I said, their minutes and roles are different, and that's all based on the personnel around them and how deep a team is at their position...

Shooting aside, I think Jerome is a better rebounder, better inside player, and a marginally better defender...I don't think either player is an especially good (or willing for that matter) passer...

I'll say this...now that they are on the same team, the only opinion that will count will be Mike Woodson's...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Very difficult to compare 2 players on different teams...As I said, their minutes and roles are different, and that's all based on the personnel around them and how deep a team is at their position...

Shooting aside, I think Jerome is a better rebounder, better inside player, and a marginally better defender...I don't think either player is an especially good (or willing for that matter) passer...

I'll say this...now that they are on the same team, the only opinion that will count will be Mike Woodson's...

I disagree a little bit, and that’s ok. But I think Kopp is more valuable because he can get his own shot if he needs to, or at least has that ability more than JH who has strictly been a streaky spot up shooter.  I also don’t think JH is a better defender. I guess that’s debatable, but Kopp’s much higher basketball IQ will make up whatever difference you see. JH is guaranteed to get blown by every other trip down the court, and make a poor decision with the ball every other time he touches it. I just don’t see him as being anywhere near a better or more reliable asset to this team. JMO though. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I disagree a little bit, and that’s ok. But I think Kopp is more valuable because he can get his own shot if he needs to, or at least has that ability more than JH who has strictly been a streaky spot up shooter.  I also don’t think JH is a better defender. I guess that’s debatable, but Kopp’s much higher basketball IQ will make up whatever difference you see. JH is guaranteed to get blown by every other trip down the court, and make a poor decision with the ball every other time he touches it. I just don’t see him as being anywhere near a better or more reliable asset to this team. JMO though. 

Kopp's "high basketball IQ" shot Northwestern right out of a few games last year. As I've said on more than a few posts, his shot selection was terrible a lot of times, especially if he was missing early. 

I saw Jerome operate inside effectively more that a few times. Not only on post ups, but running the baseline. And as the year went along, Jerome got much better on especially on the ball (and I will concede that I think Kopp is a better team defender...I saw Jerome lost on defense more than once, particularly at the beginning of the year)...

And yeah, it's a matter of opinion...And as I said, Woody will be the final arbiter...

4 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

KOPP looks hungry to me! I like the fire in his play. Looks like he gets it!

I think to start and play at this level...every kid has to have that at the bare minimum. Only one I've ever seen that I wonder about is Rob Phinisee....either he got it knocked out of him or Archie broke his spirit. Hope he comes back with a vengence this year!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 7:33 PM, Threedom said:

Trying to post a video of Guyton interview with Kopp.  What a great interview and what an impressive young man!  Hopefully this works, it’s well with the 44 minutes. 

Loved the interview...Really like the fact that AJ takes the time to fill kids in, especially the out of state kids, on what it's really like to play for IU...

As far as AJ's suggestion for Miller to bone up on IU's storied basketball history, since he's down here in Houston, I'm sure @Hoosierhoopster or I could provide lessons :) 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Loved the interview...Really like the fact that AJ takes the time to fill kids in, especially the out of state kids, on what it's really like to play for IU...

As far as AJ's suggestion for Miller to bone up on IU's storied basketball history, since he's down here in Houston, I'm sure @Hoosierhoopster or I could provide lessons :) 

Is he down in Houston? I thought he was still finishing his semester at NW. Perhaps its all being done through zoom still.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Is he down in Houston? I thought he was still finishing his semester at NW. Perhaps its all being done through zoom still.

Yeah, He said he was currently in Houston, and would be at IU sometime in June...He said he's finishing classes at Northwestern so I would assume Zoom ...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Many things caught my attention, but I was impressed at the end when AJ started giving advice and Kopp, unprompted, starting taking notes and then summarized the advice back to AJ.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Threedom said:

Many things caught my attention, but I was impressed at the end when AJ started giving advice and Kopp, unprompted, starting taking notes and then summarized the advice back to AJ.  

I didn’t watch the interview but that’s impressive.  

Is he getting his Northwestern degree?

4 minutes ago, Threedom said:

Yeah, that was very impressive...He said he loved playing at IU on the opposite side...Said Romeo stole the ball from him his freshman year and took it down for a dunk and he'd never heard an arena so loud...And that was one of the things that helped make his decision...He said he really hadn't planned on staying in the B1G...Woody must be very persuasive :) 

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Is he getting his Northwestern degree?

I don't remember him saying one way or the other...Just that he was finishing classes there...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of other things about the interview...

AJ told Miller to stay off of social media during the season...also told him if there wasn't a "family" atmosphere the team wouldn't succeed. Said don't just go out with 2 or 3 of the same guys all the time...include everybody...also talked about the struggles of the IU teams he was a part of and their failures to contend for championships because of transfers and not all having the same goals.

Also, in this interview with Luke Jiminez, AJ reveals he doesn't have much of a relationship with Coach Knight and he almost skipped Coach's return to Assembly Hall...that really surprised me...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

A couple of other things about the interview...

AJ told Miller to stay off of social media during the season...also told him if there wasn't a "family" atmosphere the team wouldn't succeed. Said don't just go out with 2 or 3 of the same guys all the time...include everybody...also talked about the struggles of the IU teams he was a part of and their failures to contend for championships because of transfers and not all having the same goals.

Also, in this interview with Luke Jiminez, AJ reveals he doesn't have much of a relationship with Coach Knight and he almost skipped Coach's return to Assembly Hall...that really surprised me...

Has he not elaborated on the Coach Knight comment?