How are things going in Athens?

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Maybe IU hire him under the table... to take a head coaching position at a mid-major, recruit the lesser known players, develop them for two years, and funnel them to IU? obviously just a joke.

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Time to turn the satellite schools' teams into development teams for IUB. Let's get IU guys coaching at IPFW and IUPUI. lol

You guys might be on to something, at least Kent Sterling thinks so....

(1) Indiana Basketball - Mid-majors can be minor league for IU; 5 potential trade partners for Colts! - YouTube

5 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

You guys might be on to something, at least Kent Sterling thinks so....

(1) Indiana Basketball - Mid-majors can be minor league for IU; 5 potential trade partners for Colts! - YouTube

My post there was just a joke but I do think that recruiting through the portal will become extremely important for high-major schools and the low- and mid-major schools will essentially be used for developing and testing players that aren't deemed a sure thing.

Players like Braden Smith will likely go to one of those and if he performs well he'll transfer to a larger school. 

So what I see as likely to happen is that the large schools will actively recruit players like that to establish a relationship but will ultimately never extend a scholarship offer. They may even talk to them about the possibility of transferring to their school later on once proven. I also think that the coaches will maintain relationships with players they like, their families, and/or their coaches so that if (when) they do transfer in the future they have a better shot at landing them.

26 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

So what I see as likely to happen is that the large schools will actively recruit players like that to establish a relationship but will ultimately never extend a scholarship offer. They may even talk to them about the possibility of transferring to their school later on once proven. I also think that the coaches will maintain relationships with players they like, their families, and/or their coaches so that if (when) they do transfer in the future they have a better shot at landing them.

Oh heaven's no, that would be tampering :coffee:

CJ Fredrick, cough cough

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Wow. It continues to get worse for Georgia basketball. 2 more transfers from UGA have hit the portal today. Including guard KD Johnson who averaged 13.5 PPG. Per Jeff Goodman, that makes 7 of UGA's top 8 scorers who are transferring out of UGA. Yikes!

I know Crean will take a beating but that guy has put a dozen guys in the league....and developed countless others. This isn't a Crean issue....this seems to be a Georgia issue in my little 2 cent opinion. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know Crean will take a beating but that guy has put a dozen guys in the league....and developed countless others. This isn't a Crean issue....this seems to be a Georgia issue in my little 2 cent opinion. 

I guess… but really, how many of those guys were going to the league regardless? Yes, he got them in his program, but did he really develop some of them?

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I guess… but really, how many of those guys were going to the league regardless? Yes, he got them in his program, but did he really develop some of them?

I'm only talking about Marquette and Indiana. It's fair point you bring up though. Much like Cal and Kentucky. Who gets the credit for players going?

Cody was going to the league. Vonleh was as well....but Crean had Deiner, Hayward, Matthews, Novak, McNeil and obviously Wade at Marquette...not to mention what he did with Vic, Bryant (probably more of his own), OG, Yogi, Williams, Blackmon....shoot Crean has put more talent in the league while being widely criticized than the head coaches at Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Purdue combined. 

Just saying a football school should maybe stay out of the way on this one. Crean does know what he's doing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Georgia is in the $EC...maybe he just needs to get with the other programs down there...L$U, Auburn, Ole Mi$$, etc etc...gotta play the game. So much talent down that way you just have to know how to $eal the deal.

Good point....and one that was overlooked here on a few recruitments. His key guys he recruited were Zeller, Yogi, Blackmon....what's the common denominator in those families? They all had $ and didn't need it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It’s a Crean issue which is why he had so many transfers here.  A lot of ex players talk crap about him when he isn’t around. A lot of AAU coaches know his crap now.  He gets made fun of in coaching circles because he whiffs so much on assistants because he is a jerk.  Total Crean issue.  Any school that hires him will end up running into the same issue.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Georgia is in the $EC...maybe he just needs to get with the other programs down there...L$U, Auburn, Ole Mi$$, etc etc...gotta play the game. So much talent down that way you just have to know how to $eal the deal.

I seem to remember CTC while at IU said he would not play that game. I will always wish CTC well! He did bring us back from nothing!!! GO IU!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

It’s a Crean issue which is why he had so many transfers here.  A lot of ex players talk crap about him when he isn’t around. A lot of AAU coaches know his crap now.  He gets made fun of in coaching circles because he whiffs so much on assistants because he is a jerk.  Total Crean issue.  Any school that hires him will end up running into the same issue.  

Indiana's Victor Oladipo,left, is congratulated by coach Tom Crean after  defeating Ohio State 81-68 Sund… | Indiana hoosiers basketball, Victor  oladipo, Iu hoosiers

• Like 2

10 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

Care to share some examples of ex-players that talk crap about him? I am sure he has far more that love him. 

Every coach whiffs in recruiting and assistant coaches. Heck, RMK had Dakich as an assistant.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yogi was on the Hoosier Hysterics podcast this week and had a lot of good things to say about Crean. 

This idea that Crean didn't develop his NBA guys or help players get to the NBA is crazy. 

I agree and nothing good is gonna come from bashing the man.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, rico said:

Indiana's Victor Oladipo,left, is congratulated by coach Tom Crean after  defeating Ohio State 81-68 Sund… | Indiana hoosiers basketball, Victor  oladipo, Iu hoosiers

Nobody has said he hasn’t develop players.  Crean kisses ass to people who help keep his wallet fat.  Shocker.  The next DWade, the next Oladipo, the next Antman, etc. I know an AAU coach who said this one time.  “I tell my kids when they choose a school....look at how the coach treats his best player, his worst players and his walkons....you don’t know which one you will be.”  

This is Crean’s problem.  If you aren’t a top kid, you are dispensable to him.  Why do you think he has ALWAYS had trouble with transfers and coaches like Painter doesn’t.  People that matter like Painter.  People that matter don’t like Crean.  

13 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Nobody has said he hasn’t develop players.  Crean kisses ass to people who help keep his wallet fat.  Shocker.  The next DWade, the next Oladipo, the next Antman, etc. I know an AAU coach who said this one time.  “I tell my kids when they choose a school....look at how the coach treats his best player, his worst players and his walkons....you don’t know which one you will be.”  

This is Crean’s problem.  If you aren’t a top kid, you are dispensable to him.  Why do you think he has ALWAYS had trouble with transfers and coaches like Painter doesn’t.  People that matter like Painter.  People that matter don’t like Crean.  

Name 1 player that transferred from IU during Crean's tenure that went elsewhere and did anything. You can make an argument that he recruited over too much, but the players that transferred weren't huge losses. You are making mountains out of molehills due to your hatred of him.

People like Painter because he isn't doing anything at Purdue. IF he had success, people would dislike him. Purdue basketball has no expectations and he is delivering just that.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Fair enough.

7 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Name 1 player that transferred from IU during Crean's tenure that went elsewhere and did anything. You can make an argument that he recruited over too much, but the players that transferred weren't huge losses. You are making mountains out of molehills due to your hatred of him.

People like Painter because he isn't doing anything at Purdue. IF he had success, people would dislike him. Purdue basketball has no expectations and he is delivering just that.

Rhemy Abel?

1 hour ago, IUaic said:

That’s some bullshit.  Painter is way more successful than Crean over the long haul.  Crean never finished over 5th in the Big East before here.  He was a wide swing of success and failures because he pissed off players and AAU coaches.  Fischer comes to mind.  Vonleh despised him.  Sheehey despised him.  Zeller and Hulls questioned him.  Why do you think he struggled recruiting in Indiana after the 2014 class?  The one success in recruiting in 2014 was a kid who never attempted to defend.  He did Patterson dirty.  We can go on and on and on and on if you want.  

Edited by IU_Realist

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yogi was on the Hoosier Hysterics podcast this week and had a lot of good things to say about Crean. 

This idea that Crean didn't develop his NBA guys or help players get to the NBA is crazy. 

All day long. I'm a Crean fan and always will be. 

1 hour ago, IUaic said:

Your point? Why was he taking the kids that transferred? We got the Prillers and Whatever.  Like I said people observe how you treat kids even when they don’t work out.  Crean was bad to those kids.  Look at his response to the kid who just transferred.  Juvenile.