IU Defense 2021

On 4/21/2021 at 10:42 PM, KoB2011 said:

There is a lot of switching and rotating in the NBA, but I do think that is more advanced than what we see in college. I'd argue the fact that college teams don't have to switch and can sit back at 16' feet shows the difference in the game at the two levels, and not in a way that favors college. 

Agree. The other thing I’d add is about X’s and O’s at the NBA level.  Before we hired a coach, many of us were studying all kinds of candidates.  I read up on Eric Musselman.  In one of the articles he candidly said that NCAA X’s and O’s were a joke compared to the NBA.  He said if something was working for him when he was an NBA coach, it’d take a guy like Jeff Van Grundy about three trips up the floor to take remedial action.  He said in college it was nowhere close to that.  So, we’ve got a head coach who has matched wits at the highest level, understands the game, and likely will be able to attack and adjust with very good X’s and O’s thought process. 

As for defense, I think the multiple looks will play into that, where we can make adjustments on the fly.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree. The other thing I’d add is about X’s and O’s at the NBA level.  Before we hired a coach, many of us were studying all kinds of candidates.  I read up on Eric Musselman.  In one of the articles he candidly said that NCAA X’s and O’s were a joke compared to the NBA.  He said if something was working for him when he was an NBA coach, it’d take a guy like Jeff Van Grundy about three trips up the floor to take remedial action.  He said in college it was nowhere close to that.  So, we’ve got a head coach who has matched wits at the highest level, understands the game, and likely will be able to attack and adjust with very good X’s and O’s thought process. 

As for defense, I think the multiple looks will play into that, where we can make adjustments on the fly.  

There is something to be said about the players ability to adapt and apply said strategies as well.  

Take Pitino or K.  It's not like these guys recognize they are getting exploited in a certain area of the court and think, you know, I'll just wait until half time to make this adjustment.  But the flip side is call a timeout, coach.  Can the college players make the quick adjustment and have to ability and discipline to maintain said adjustment.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

There is something to be said about the players ability to adapt and apply said strategies as well.  

Take Pitino or K.  It's not like these guys recognize they are getting exploited in a certain area of the court and think, you know, I'll just wait until half time to make this adjustment.  But the flip side is call a timeout, coach.  Can the college players make the quick adjustment and have to ability and discipline to maintain said adjustment.  

Good point.  Hopefully this is the type of thing they can help teach in practice and film work so the players can recognize things better too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think this is part of the reason why some previous NBA coaches have had issues when trying to coach in college. The NBA players have been around the game so long that many of them have a great understanding of the game and might be able to recognize and make the adjustments themselves or only need to be told once and will do it. Plus, some strategies might not work as well in college since the players trying to perform those actions aren't as skilled and/or athletic as what the coach is used to so might not be able to be effective at it.

I hope these aren't issues for Woodson. If it is, I hope that the coaching staff and Matta can help him with it.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I think this is part of the reason why some previous NBA coaches have had issues when trying to coach in college. The NBA players have been around the game so long that many of them have a great understanding of the game and might be able to recognize and make the adjustments themselves or only need to be told once and will do it. Plus, some strategies might not work as well in college since the players trying to perform those actions aren't as skilled and/or athletic as what the coach is used to so might not be able to be effective at it.

I hope these aren't issues for Woodson. If it is, I hope that the coaching staff and Matta can help him with it.

Good conversation. I forgot where I heard it (perhaps a Jared Jeffries interview) but in the NBA Woody typically prepared 2 in-bound plays during a time out. Before the in-bound and depending on the look from the defense, either Woody or the in-bounder would shout out 'play A' or 'play B'. Apparently this is something unique to Woody, but it was very successful. That said, you do have to wonder if college players with less experience will be able to retain and successfully execute something like this. 

• Like 2