Antigua back to Kentucky

3 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Should be finalized soon, but a win getting him out of Champaign...wonder if Curbelo will follow him there?

With all the Illini are already losing, defections by the Puerto Rican kids he helped recruit to Champaign would leave them barren...

No tears here...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

Trying to put my finger on what's happening over there. I know Illinois can't compete with UK's stage in hoops....but this just can't be all about $. Or is it? Departures from players, staff,etc....after their best year in decade plus just doesn't make any sense.  

4 years in for Underwood. Best year for Illinois in a long time. And it's a rebuild...depending on who/how many other players leave.

• Like 5

Cal is feeling the heat and needed a couple scapegoats and a big gesture to appease the fans. Their fans are clamoring for Antigua because they believe him to be the answer to their troubles. He's talking about a 41 offense now and even suggesting they need to get older, which is code for more than just the one-and-done recruits. I think it's interesting after years of success Cal is forced to make changes. Is he able to adapt? More important, will his ego allow him to adapt? This much change is an admission that what he has been doing is not working.

• Like 1

Despite UI's success last season, I'm not sold on Underwood as a long-term solution...just seems like an unlikeable screaming turd to me.  Tom Crean had some early success at IU as well.  Will be interesting to see how Underwood fares now that his horses are out of the barn.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Despite UI's success last season, I'm not sold on Underwood as a long-term solution...just seems like an unlikeable screaming turd to me.  Tom Crean had some early success at IU as well.  Will be interesting to see how Underwood fares now that his horses are out of the barn.

Never been an Underwood guy. I think I've highlighted his problems each step of the way in his career. Now it takes Ayo 3 years to be a late first rounder, Kofi gone....and definitely 1 if not 2 assistant coaches leaving.....Underwood will have plenty of chances to prove how good he is coming year or two.

I will say this too. Going to keep my eye on this Tre Mitchell/Tony Bergeron situation. Prior is one of best on transfer market....the latter is his step dad looking for a job. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Never been an Underwood guy. I think I've highlighted his problems each step of the way in his career. Now it takes Ayo 3 years to be a late first rounder, Kofi gone....and definitely 1 if not 2 assistant coaches leaving.....Underwood will have plenty of chances to prove how good he is coming year or two.

I will say this too. Going to keep my eye on this Tre Mitchell/Tony Bergeron situation. Prior is one of best on transfer market....the latter is his step dad looking for a job. 

Agree,  he’s a mediocrity.  But Illinois does not bother me.  They never really have.  I find it amusing how much they dislike us.  It’s a compliment.  I’m in Chicago, around a lot of Illinois people.  It can be annoying at times but it’s good natured.  I recall one of my good friends (a great guy) who tried to pass Deron Williams off as comparable to Isaiah Thomas.  That’s some solid gold comedy but it honestly doesn’t phase me that much. Heck, I can even be very friendly with Purdue people.  It’s just sports.  I just interviewed someone with straight A’s from Purdue in engineering and I was pounding the table to offer the person.  I even said good things about Purdue engineering.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Wonder if Carbuello would decide to transfer gr UI

No clue anymore. Not that I have a problem with it but Illinois is the model for chaos right now. Everything could be fine and competitive next year....or the program could be in rebuild.

One thing is for certain which they may or may not have unwillingly known when they countered the assistant coach salary offers.....if they lose their coaches the new assistant (Oregon guy) will be asking for what they were willing to pay Antigua or Chin. So the department showed they could pay that much and someone who comes in will be expecting that. 

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue anymore. Not that I have a problem with it but Illinois is the model for chaos right now. Everything could be fine and competitive next year....or the program could be in rebuild.

One thing is for certain which they may or may not have unwillingly known when they countered the assistant coach salary offers.....if they lose their coaches the new assistant (Oregon guy) will be asking for what they were willing to pay Antigua or Chin. So the department showed they could pay that much and someone who comes in will be expecting that. 

Not necessarily, IU got MW for 3 mil after the brinks truck was unloading at Massholes.

8 minutes ago, BDB said:

Not necessarily, IU got MW for 3 mil after the brinks truck was unloading at Massholes.

Understand. 2 different things though. One guy was Brad Stevens.....and given what what we've paid for assistants and Director (Matta) position adds up to I'm assuming over $5-$6M right?

What I'm saying is that if the word is out UI would pay $1.2M for an assistant....the next guy is going to get as close to that as possible because he knows they can pay that. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand. 2 different things though. One guy was Brad Stevens.....and given what what we've paid for assistants and Director (Matta) position adds up to I'm assuming over $5-$6M right?

What I'm saying is that if the word is out UI would pay $1.2M for an assistant....the next guy is going to get as close to that as possible because he knows they can pay that. 

About $4.5M. ~$3M for Woodson, $400k for Fife ($375k + $25k annually), ~$300k each for Hunter and Rosemond (I guess Hunter is renegotiating so that might increase), and $400k for Matta.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 5:03 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

But Illinois does not bother me.  They never really have.  I find it amusing how much they dislike us.  It’s a compliment.  I’m in Chicago, around a lot of Illinois people.  It can be annoying at times but it’s good natured.  I recall one of my good friends (a great guy) who tried to pass Deron Williams off as comparable to Isaiah Thomas.  That’s some solid gold comedy but it honestly doesn’t phase me that much.

This is true. I worked with a UI grad who would always say that the Illini play in "the original Assembly Hall".  Oooh burn!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2