Where is Archie?

A little strange to me that we haven't heard from or seen Archie at all since he was fired. 

Where has he been? He wasn't a candidate for any of the open jobs nor has he made any public statements since he was let go.

The stark difference in program building the past month compared to what Archie did when he got here is really something when you look back at it.  Just take last night as an example.  Coach Woodson went back to the Knicks game, they had a premade video for him, and he was also seen getting hugs and hellos from all the players.  This is something you would have never seen Archie do.  Understanding that he didn't have the NBA connections, but even when he would be at high school games, he would often times sit by himself and not be bother to interact with the fans, etc.

Honestly, what are the options for Archie at this point?  Go be an assistant at a big program?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 812hoosier said:

A little strange to me that we haven't heard from or seen Archie at all since he was fired. 

Where has he been? He wasn't a candidate for any of the open jobs nor has he made any public statements since he was let go.

The stark difference in program building the past month compared to what Archie did when he got here is really something when you look back at it.  Just take last night as an example.  Coach Woodson went back to the Knicks game, they had a premade video for him, and he was also seen getting hugs and hellos from all the players.  This is something you would have never seen Archie do.  Understanding that he didn't have the NBA connections, but even when he would be at high school games, he would often times sit by himself and not be bother to interact with the fans, etc.

Honestly, what are the options for Archie at this point?  Go be an assistant at a big program?

There are many stark contrasts between the hiring of CAM and CMW.  It started with the body language and statements from their respective introductory press conferences.  Within a week of his hire, there was very little info/activity being reported in the Miller administration - it seemed like it was mostly about getting settled into the office, ordering pizza, and similar inconsequential details.  Woodson immediately recruiting on multiple fronts (existing players, the portal, HS recruits).

I think Archie was out of his element.  Maybe he's not suited to being HC at a high-profile program. IDK, but I have to wonder if it wasn't a case of being an opportunity he couldn't pass up but one that he just wasn't crazy for.  As someone else posted a while back, it was like it was just a job to him - one he clearly took seriously, but never seemed overly enthusiastic about.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If I were Archie I'd do what very few people get to do. Take a life timeout for 1 year. Evaluate your own approach to the NCAA game in the year 21/22 and hit the ground running next year. 

I thought it was interesting hearing what Rick Pitino said about the time between UL & Iona.  How he spent time in Europe teaching and observing the game over there.  Some coaches just live for the game, some have more balance in their lives.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Sorry I’m at work and can’t do the research, but I’m pretty sure there was a picture floating around of what looked like Archie at a practice with Coach Woodson and Fife. Maybe he helped with the transition and kept a low profile.

I could be wrong but i thought that picture was when CAM was coaching against Michigan St and Woodson was visiting .

• Like 4

I'm a firm believer that you get out of life what you put into it. You see that reciprocation in Coach Woodson, Coach Allen, Coach Moren, and Coach Mercer, etc..., whose teams and players love them because they put so much into the game and the responsibility they hold as 'Head Coach'.

Coach Miller was/is probably a bit embarrassed and hurt by how his tenure ended, but it wasn't a unanimous decision. There were plenty of supporters (even here on this board) who wanted him to succeed and were willing to give him an extra year.

However, for him to not come out and thank anyone for the opportunity to coach Indiana University basketball is very telling to me.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Sorry I’m at work and can’t do the research, but I’m pretty sure there was a picture floating around of what looked like Archie at a practice with Coach Woodson and Fife. Maybe he helped with the transition and kept a low profile.

Are you talking about the one with Woodson sitting on bleachers with Miller talking to him? If so, that is an old picture from when Miller was HC. Woodson and Brown were visiting. I'm 99% sure Miller has not helped with the transition at all.

6 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I'm a firm believer that you get out of life what you put into it. You see that reciprocation in Coach Woodson, Coach Allen, Coach Moren, and Coach Mercer, etc..., whose teams and players love them because they put so much into the game and the responsibility they hold as 'Head Coach'.

Coach Miller was/is probably a bit embarrassed and hurt by how his tenure ended, but it wasn't a unanimous decision. There were plenty of supporters (even here on this board) who wanted him to succeed and were willing to give him an extra year.

However, for him to not come out and thank anyone for the opportunity to coach Indiana University basketball is very telling to me.

I think you're right. And not in the sense that "I'm a fan and I need to hear this". He had to develop relationships while at IU. It's odd that he didn't feel the need to publicly thank or wish well to the players or his staff. Or the tutors? or the athletic department administration? Perhaps he spoke to them privately, but not doing it publicly demonstrates how bad he was on a PR front. I may very well be wrong, but the perception to me was that he kept the fans, media, former players, etc. at an arm's length distance.  Perhaps, taking for granted the PR aspect of this job is why he ultimately didn't build the support he needed to keep the job. His silence now exemplifies this, IMO. 

Regardless, I do wish him well and hope he has success in the future. I'm sure the things he took away from his time here will make him a better coach in the future. 

• Like 2

Transfer Portal
AD
Personality

Those are the reasons the hire feels different.  We don't know what the CMW hire would have been like 5 years ago under Glass without a transfer portal and following CTC.

Really not fair to keep piling on CAM.  His Flaws were exposed and he failed to be successful at IU.  I am pretty sure there is no one in the basketball community who doesn't know that, including himself.

Just my thoughts.  But what do I know.

• Like 3

I have no ill feelings towards Archie. His way just didn't work for IU. It can work somewhere else but I have to think it would be easier for it to work at a mid major. I could see him going to a school in the MAC or A10 again and it certainly working. Look...he runs a system that grinds out wins.....can upset better opponents from time to time but unfortunately at the high level of the B1G or major P5 schools would not leave enough room for error when playing high level talent or to attract high level talent to succeed on a consistent basis. Go back to that level where you don't need superior talent to run that system and be effective...can easily get back to being a tournament team. I could easily see him at UMass or St Joes in the ACC and make tournament appearances regularly. Or the MAC...I mean all those schools are in his former footprint at Dayton. Recruiting would be seamless and would be similar level as he had before. I don't think he is getting a lesser power job not after his failure here. If it would have been like Crean and had mixed success that is one thing...but he just didn't have ANY success. He is going to have to show he can do it again.

That said I do think a year off makes sense...wait for the right job to open....and what would make a huge amount of sense would be to learn some offensive wrinkles...whether that is work with some NBA or FIBA teams...but he would have to be humble to do that...not sure that is Archie.

8 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Transfer Portal
AD
Personality

Those are the reasons the hire feels different.  We don't know what the CMW hire would have been like 5 years ago under Glass without a transfer portal and following CTC.

Really not fair to keep piling on CAM.  His Flaws were exposed and he failed to be successful at IU.  I am pretty sure there is no one in the basketball community who doesn't know that, including himself.

Just my thoughts.  But what do I know.

I agree...I do find it a little weird that he hasn't at least come out with some kind of statement...

I think this really stung him...Jobs like IU don't come up every year...To get fired from one has to be devastating to a basketball lifer like CAM...

Edited by IUFLA

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I agree...I do find it a little weird that he hasn't at least come out with some kind of statement...

I think this really stung him...Jobs like IU don't come up every year...To get fired from one has to be devastating to a basketball lifer like CAM...

Agreed.  I think he is embarrassed, bitter and prideful.  And he is an introvert at heart and those types of people don't want the spotlight on them when its not good.  And even when its good they shy from it.

But he should have released a statement at least thanking IU, the team and the fans.