Where is Archie?

Early on I appreciated Archie's no nonsense approach and the fact he did not need to be in front of a mic or camera every chance he got, unlike Tom Crean. It seemed he was a better fit for IU basketball. Over the course of time it was clear he did not have the personality to lead the program. IU may not be what it once was but the fans have a certain expectation of what a head coach is and should be as the face of the program. It appeared Archie could not measure up (not a short joke) and was unwilling to change. I recall very few times where he was smiling or joking and that's probably his personality. It is who he is. Maybe he was different with the players and his coaching staff but he never seemed to warm to the fans or the job in general. And the idea he did not hear the calls for him to be fired in a mostly empty gym during his last game - not believable.

• Like 4

Archie was quite a disappointment, and I'm happy that he's gone. I'm not gonna have any soft spot for him whatsoever. What he's shown so far is poor professionalism. Sure his ego was damaged, but this is not how he should end his chapter with IU that will have given him 20+ million for shitty results. At the bare minimum, he should've released a statement on twitter. He doesn't even need to do this himself; he can let his agent to do that for him. I listened to Kent Sterling a while ago, and he said Archie was in general a cold person. No wonder his players hoped to have better relationships with a new coach. Archie Miller in reality was everything opposite to what we heard at first and hoped. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I'm a firm believer that you get out of life what you put into it. You see that reciprocation in Coach Woodson, Coach Allen, Coach Moren, and Coach Mercer, etc..., whose teams and players love them because they put so much into the game and the responsibility they hold as 'Head Coach'.

Coach Miller was/is probably a bit embarrassed and hurt by how his tenure ended, but it wasn't a unanimous decision. There were plenty of supporters (even here on this board) who wanted him to succeed and were willing to give him an extra year.

However, for him to not come out and thank anyone for the opportunity to coach Indiana University basketball is very telling to me.

Yeah, that's a little surprising, to be honest.  I hope he does at some point, but I won't lose any sleep over it if he's not comfortable doing that at this stage in the game.  It sucks getting fired so publicly.

I wanted him to succeed...I really did, but the further I get from the firing, the more obvious it is that it was the right move even if Coach Woodson doesn't ultimately succeed here. (I think he will though...he's sure crushed the recruiting part and that's what I was most concerned about.)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Archie was quite a disappointment, and I'm happy that he's gone. I'm not gonna have any soft spot for him whatsoever. What he's shown so far is poor professionalism. Sure his ego was damaged, but this is not how he should end his chapter with IU that will have given him 20+ million for shitty results. At the bare minimum, he should've released a statement on twitter. He doesn't even need to do this himself; he can let his agent to do that for him. I listened to Kent Sterling a while ago, and he said Archie was in general a cold person. No wonder his players hoped to have better relationships with a new coach. Archie Miller in reality was everything opposite to what we heard at first and hoped. 

The fact that Archie let his people leak he was fired before anyone could talk to the team was all I needed to know about what kind of guy he is.  Take your ball and go home good sir.  I don’t hate you or wish you ill will but I certainly see no reason to act like I like him or the mediocrity he lead IU in.  He had a chance to exit with his head up and left in a tantrum.  The fact two of his coaches are still on staff speaks volumes to me as well.  How often does something like that happen?  Says a lot without saying anything. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

He had a chance to exit with his head up and left in a tantrum.

You said it best. Guy was full of egos without an ounce of humility. I actually don't doubt his knowledge in basketball; the guy virtually spent all his life with a basketball in his hands. Problem was he couldn't get his players to buy in what he was trying to accomplish. That was a failure in leadership. I learned a great deal from what IU football team accomplished this past season. Team sports is almost all about creating an environment where players love and respect one another. It's hard to fail when players are willing to sacrifice their bodies to cover and protect their teammates. And everything starts from the top. Coach has to have a big heart to embrace and give youngsters genuine love and care, but never to shy away from showing tough love and instilling discipline. 

• Like 1

Archie always complimented the fans and really seemed to appreciate the fan support.   If the reports are true, I’m led to believe he was told he would have another year and perhaps a 180 was pulled behind his back after that meeting.   

If that’s the case, I could certainly understand his beef with the administration, etc.  but something acknowledging and thanking the fans - i thought he would’ve done that. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Archie always complimented the fans and really seemed to appreciate the fan support.   If the reports are true, I’m led to believe he was told he would have another year and perhaps a 180 was pulled behind his back after that meeting.   

If that’s the case, I could certainly understand his beef with the administration, etc.  but something acknowledging and thanking the fans - i thought he would’ve done that. 

I like Archie as a guy.  I felt bad for him as he had to talk to the media after each predictable loss.   He looked beleaguered and like the world was caving in on him.

Having said that, I tried to constructively point out issues in his coaching.  Many issues were met with excuses here.  In the end, I held back my true analysis of him in the interest of positivity and not ruffling feathers on the board.  But he struggled.  

Say what you want about Archie.  Misguided, yes, dumb no.  He knows that the record says who you are.  It wasn’t nearly good enough.   0-8 against Purdue.  If he’s truly reflecting, he knows that he can’t argue he was treated unfairly.  I mean, he absolutely has to know it.   There’s nothing in the record that allows him to say he should have kept his job.  It was not just bad, it was really bad.  Nothing in his persona or attitude off the court showed itself in his teams.  

His career is not hopeless.   I think he needs time to reflect and clean up his significant errors, unlike Crean, who will just keep doubling down on his off track ideas.  If Archie truly does reflect, he can have super hard nosed teams that compete.  But step one is admitting he needs to adjust for a long list of errors.  Then he can build a team that will be a very tough out in time.  I like the guy and wish him well.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

Shame he didn’t at least send out an internet type message, I’ve said before at first I welcomed his no nonsense type of a approach after enduring Crean for so long (Liked Crean). 

You just can’t be basically silent, I’d like a happy medium, or Coach Knight- talk about a fella who had charisma, good or bad people stopped and listened. Lord have mercy imagine bringing a jackass on to a Sunday morning sports show. Looking back, I couldn’t wait to grow up, but growing up in the 70’s and 80’s was a special time in rural Indiana.

In dads house it was God, Coach Knight, and Ronald Reagan,  Alf and Andy Griffith ran a distant 4th.

Edited by H00sier
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he takes up an entirely different career. I think this job exposed all of his weaknesses and inadequacies. You can't succeed at this level if you don't like interacting with people. 

I don't think he can succeed at the P5 level as a head coach with his approach/personality.  He got his nickname for a reason.  Add that to being a pretty heavy introvert who just wants to coach ball...the big time programs are not for him.  I think he could be a high end assistant or a mid tier head coach like at Dayton.  I don't think he has the type of personality that meshes well with a program that is high profile.

I really don't need a thank you from him.  No ill will, it did not work out.  Good luck with the next job.  Honestly any type of press release now is just too late to matter anyway.  The program has moved forward, the players have, and the fans have.  We good.

• Like 2