2023 C Xavier Booker

16 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Funny...that's exactly what I heard about Hooks.  These young guys have to know that effort is a piece of the equation.  The difference here is...the staff offered.

I've only seen a couple of Hooks videos but I was sold. However rarely is there a lot of posted video where a guy looks like sh7t. I've never seen a

Booker clip that I didn't thank he looked disinterested. 

I’m not here to defend Booker because I can’t stand uncompetitive kids without a motor.  We have had a few of them over the years and the common trait is you end up with a team that isn’t good or underachieves.   

Having said all that, it’s smart to keep watching him closely.  He’s 6’11 and mobile and you certainly can’t teach that.  While poor motor would be a deal breaker for me, the one thing we should keep in mind is he’s a very young kid and probably had no idea what he’s capable of as a young player.  Young guys grow rapidly and have to get used to it and he may simply not have realized what he could do in terms of asserting himself. This is a big year for him.  Let’s see if he’s still uncompetitive this season because it’s the time that he should be putting it together. 

The staff needs to keep establishing a foothold in Indiana, but especially by far in Indianapolis.   You don’t want to miss on a kid who turns into Marcus Camby with a mis-diagnosis of his game.

I would keep close contact with him this year and see how he does with his motor.  If it’s still weak, I’d agree on passing because I think motor is one of the biggest predictors of W’s and L’s.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m not here to defend Booker because I can’t stand uncompetitive kids without a motor.  We have had a few of them over the years and the common trait is you end up with a team that isn’t good or underachieves.   

Having said all that, it’s smart to keep watching him closely.  He’s 6’11 and mobile and you certainly can’t teach that.  While poor motor would be a deal breaker for me, the one thing we should keep in mind is he’s a very young kid and probably had no idea what he’s capable of as a young player.  Young guys grow rapidly and have to get used to it and he may simply not have realized what he could do in terms of asserting himself. This is a big year for him.  Let’s see if he’s still uncompetitive this season because it’s the time that he should be putting it together. 

The staff needs to keep establishing a foothold in Indiana, but especially by far in Indianapolis.   You don’t want to miss on a kid who turns into Marcus Camby with a mis-diagnosis of his game.

I would keep close contact with him this year and see how he does with his motor.  If it’s still weak, I’d agree on passing because I think motor is one of the biggest predictors of W’s and L’s.  

Kinda reminds me of another kid from Indianapolis years ago...

He had the same rap, but our coach at the time knew how to motivate like few others...he came around and was an important cog in the 1981 championship team...

I think our current coach can motivate as well...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Kinda reminds me of another kid from Indianapolis years ago...

He had the same rap, but our coach at the time knew how to motivate like few others...he came around and was an important cog in the 1981 championship team...

I think our current coach can motivate as well...

Turner?

58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Took 2.5 years for Turner to figure everything out.  Once he did he just took off and without him there would be no banner for 1981

I wonder if RMK would've tried to play Blab with him or moved Landon back in at the 5. He really evolved at the 4 next to Tolbert.

It would've allowed Randy to stay at the 2. I think 

PG J. Thomas, 2G Witman, SF Kitchel, PF Turner, C Bouchie,,,,would've been their best shot at repeating. 

The bench would've been lean though. Guys like Risley and Isenberger with Jim Thomas was a heck of a bench. 

15 minutes ago, ba43056 said:

I wonder if RMK would've tried to play Blab with him or moved Landon back in at the 5. He really evolved at the 4 next to Tolbert.

It would've allowed Randy to stay at the 2. I think 

PG J. Thomas, 2G Witman, SF Kitchel, PF Turner, C Bouchie,,,,would've been their best shot at repeating. 

The bench would've been lean though. Guys like Risley and Isenberger with Jim Thomas was a heck of a bench. 

During the pandemic I rewatched all of the tournament games from 81.  I know you need some bench but RMK did not sub at all until someone got 3 fouls during the tournament.

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

During the pandemic I rewatched all of the tournament games from 81.  I know you need some bench but RMK did not sub at all until someone got 3 fouls during the tournament.

I remember J Thomas was on the All Final 4 team and the next year lead the team in rebounding. Could you imagine Kitchel in today's game......he was better than Evans and look what he did with all that time with the 3. Of course Alford would've scored 2500 points with that rational. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:
Thank you to and the rest of the staff for the great official visit

I love that number 23! Very "Smart" choice! 😉

The outpouring of love from Hoosier fans following that tweet will not be exceeded or even duplicated by any other fan base...I hope kids see that...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I’m going to give you a comparison here…Booker reminds me so much of Keon Clark(you may have to search the memory banks here). Left handed, springy athlete, the movement he has….Booker is probably a better shooter but beyond that, I see a lot of similarities.

Hopefully Booker doesn't go to 3 different colleges though :)