2023 C Xavier Booker

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

Watched him this morning in hall of fame classic. Meh, a sample size of course but little to no motor when not directly involved. Didn’t run the floor well either. Just my opinion 

You can teach what he don't have. IU would be a bad place for an in-state big to go and look disinterested. We'd eat him up on here. 

I haven’t seen him play but the talk about his lack of a motor is consistently observed.  If it’s all legit, IMO we should be careful with the offer or accept the risk and be prepared for him to be the 13th man if he doesn’t have a come to Jesus moment about fully applying himself. 

There is one unforgivable aspect of a player: lack of motor and competitiveness.  If you play all out, it can cover up and make some other deficiencies forgivable.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Watched him this morning in hall of fame classic. Meh, a sample size of course but little to no motor when not directly involved. Didn’t run the floor well either. Just my opinion obviously 

I think I would pass on him.  He sounds a lot like Jeremy Hollowell.  I think this is the first time in along time I haven't been to the HOF classic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think I would pass on him.  He sounds a lot like Jeremy Hollowell.  I think this is the first time in along time I haven't been to the HOF classic.

Some kids need that push. Look how TJD's motor changed under CMW. Maybe his high school coach isnt a motivator.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

I’m much more excited for banks myself. Think he’s the next sleeper player, capable of being solid right away

Watched a few YouTube videos on Banks.  Hard to get a full picture in AAU.  Reminds me of TKR though 

stretch 4 with long arms and above average quickness & hops.   Not sure what keeps him out of top 40-60 in rankings.  
If you told me he was a boilermaker I’d be happy 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Watched him this morning in hall of fame classic. Meh, a sample size of course but little to no motor when not directly involved. Didn’t run the floor well either. Just my opinion obviously 

This matches what others have observed about him. It's been his major knock in HS and doesn't appear to be changing.

17 hours ago, Indykev said:

Some kids need that push. Look how TJD's motor changed under CMW. Maybe his high school coach isnt a motivator.

It's a risk but if Woodson plans to use only 8-10 person rotation then that leaves 3 scholarships for risks and projects. It's possible that he needs a different type of motivation than his HS coach is capable of giving and I'm sure that Woodson has lots of experience motivating talented players in different ways. So he might be able to get him to compete constantly hard but maybe not. I'd personally rather IU passes on him but I have no say in the matter and will  hope for the best if he commits to the Hoosiers but won't be at all upset if he heads elsewhere.

On 5/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, GC19 said:

6’11” with a 7’1” wing span. I saw him play once briefly last summer. I believe he was playing up (?), but he was a beast. 

On 7/18/2021 at 9:54 PM, DC2345 said:

Motor and effort are constant questions with Booker. 

Not questioning either of you. But this is why I trust the coaches to recruit not fans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

I'm sure that Woodson has lots of experience motivating talented players in different ways. So he might be able to get him to compete constantly hard but maybe not.

From what I've seen so far of Coach Woody, either you compete consistently, or you won't be competing at all...

I saw him sit Trayce once after a substandard effort this year...as Trayce went by, he got an ear full too...

Love that about CMW...He's coaching everyone hard...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Watched a few YouTube videos on Banks.  Hard to get a full picture in AAU.  Reminds me of TKR though 

stretch 4 with long arms and above average quickness & hops.   Not sure what keeps him out of top 40-60 in rankings.  
If you told me he was a boilermaker I’d be happy 

Who? 
that’s a curse word around here. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...