2023 C Xavier Booker

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Izzo apparently has a much higher opinion of XB than the Indiana fanbase does...

He seems to fit the profile of what Woody is looking for.  Tall, mobile, able to shoot….Lets see where Kenya and Woody take this if the main recruiter has switched from Dane to Kenya.  It also felt like Woody has also taken interest in the past.  

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

I can go along with a missed opportunity. But, there are plenty of solid reasons that could be the reason for that. It was coaches birthday this week. 

What if his wife said on our birthdays or holidays out of season... we always spend a weekend together? I'm just saying its workable that he could not have atrended yesterday, but also shouldn't be categorized as incompetent. I don't think you have necessarily done that, some have though. No question. 

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not.. coaches are actually humans as well, and holy cow... maybe he needed to mentally relax for a night and watched the games on TV. 

All of that is way more believable then... he doesn't care. 

Totally.  If I were a player or his high school coach, and Woody let me know, “look, man, I’m sorry I missed your game the other night, but I’ve been going 24/7 here for awhile and my wife and I both had birthdays and we always spend them together since Christmas and Thanksgiving are hard during the season.  But, look, man, I really like your game, and I think we are a great match.  I can make you better.  Let’s sit down and talk some more..,”

If I were the player or his high school coach, that would all make perfect sense to me and I wouldn’t be offended.  In fact, I would appreciate that he’s caring to his family.  There’s character there.  Plus, he’s honest and straightforward.  The IU head coaching job is a big freaking deal.  He has to walk and chew gum at the same time.  Recruits and high school coaches get that.  They have to, it’s just too obvious.  Respect the job.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Totally.  If I were a player or his high school coach, and Woody let me know, “look, man, I’m sorry I missed your game the other night, but I’ve been going 24/7 here for awhile and my wife and I both had birthdays and we always spend them together since Christmas and Thanksgiving are hard during the season.  But, look, man, I really like your game, and I think we are a great match.  I can make you better.  Let’s sit down and talk some more..,”

If I were the player or his high school coach, that would all make perfect sense to me and I wouldn’t be offended.  In fact, I would appreciate that he’s caring to his family.  There’s character there.  Plus, he’s honest and straightforward.  The IU head coaching job is a big freaking deal.  He has to walk and chew gum at the same time.  Recruits and high school coaches get that.  They have to, it’s just too obvious.  Respect the job.  

Woodson has the props that many of the coaches he is recruiting against can only dream of. He’ll get in enough living rooms, and the right living rooms, to tell his story.

Recruits that we want will start listening, and just as importantly, so will their parents 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What happened that XB pissed off IU?  Missed the visits?  Did he piss off Fife or the whole staff?

From what I was told... 

They weren't happy about the offering of Colvin when they said they weren't offering JRs. 

XB didn't make IU mad. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

From what I was told... 

They weren't happy about the offering of Colvin when they said they weren't offering JRs. 

XB didn't make IU mad. 

So, what you are saying… The family sees the player as a potential pro/cash cow, thus a business decision, but the university is not allowed to make a decision that might be best for their business?

Just want to make sure I have this straight 

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

So, what you are saying… The family sees the player as a potential pro/cash cow, thus a business decision, but the university is not allowed to make a decision that might be best for their business?

I am so confused

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think it’s more about sticking to your word and being consistent. If someone told me at my job they were only doing 2% raises this year and gave a coworker (especially someone who I thought was worse than me) a 7% raise I would be upset. I don’t see what’s so confusing about XB being upset in the scenario described above if it’s true. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

From what I was told... 

XB didn't make IU mad. 

Then why aren’t they mad a certain school didn’t take his commitment? The coaches are still in communication with him and they watched him at the state finals. This is getting hysterical.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

Then why aren’t they mad a certain school didn’t take his commitment? The coaches are still in communication with him and they watched him at the state finals. This is getting hysterical.  

And I didn't say we weren't recruiting him. The absolute only thing I said... was I was told they weren't happy with how it was handled on Fife's end.

You're asking me why another person, that I have never met is mad.... think about that. 

I honestly don't care. I have watched this kid very little. I've not once offered an opinion on his play, I do not know. He SEEMS to be someone we should recruit though, for sure. 

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And I didn't say we weren't recruiting him. The absolute only thing I said... was I was told they weren't happy with how it was handled on Fife's end.

You're asking me why another person, that I have never met is mad.... think about that. 

I honestly don't care. I have watched this kid very little. I've not once offered an opinion on his play, I do not know. He SEEMS to be someone we should recruit though, for sure. 

All I am saying is that I don’t buy it. If he is pissed about a school offering another kid over him then I am sure he is pissed that another school offered and didn’t take his commitment.  If that is the case he is heading out of state 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

All I am saying is that I don’t buy it. If he is pissed about a school offering another kid over him then I am sure he is pissed that another school offered and didn’t take his commitment.  If that is the case he is heading out of state 

Ok, but it was more then just "school offering another kid"... you did read that right? 

That's perfectly fine to not buy it, boss. 

For those more dialed in. Jason Delaney (Cathedral Coach) has never been our best ally. Besides TJD briefly....and of course Armaan leaving. Maybe this guy is looking for something else since the Trey Lyles stuff? Just a question. Would be curious for those that know far more than I to chime in. 

I am as far away from this situation as can be, and still be in the state of Indiana. But from this viewpoint, it seems that there are a bunch of egos that think they deserve to be stroked. 

Between what is being said about the coach, and what is being said about the player/family/handlers, I wonder if we’d be better off looking elsewhere.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2022/03/28/he-is-what-iu-is-looking-for-2023-indiana-target-xavier-booker-helps-cathedral-win-class-4a-state-title/

But but but Woody wasn't there to watch! 

Yawn.....

Read the article for those who think it would be unfathomable for our Coach to miss the Indiana State Finals.

Those quotes are awesome. 

• Like 1

• KDB changed the title to 2023 C Xavier Booker

I really like what I see.  The talent is there.  If he's not top 40 by the time he graduates, he didn't try.  6'11" rim protector that shoots 36% from distance...Sign. Me. Up.  Just needs a little more weight.

Sounds like a certain center for the Pacers that no one seems to want to keep...:coffee:

...and yeah...it's obvious he won't hold it against Woody for missing the state finals.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

As an Indiana supporter first-and-foremost (and a Cathedral graduate secondly) it would be nice to see him play for Michigan State. 

A host of reasons go into that. I'll just say... Sometimes with kids they end up loving something that isn't the mainstream. Xavier Booker has tremendous upside and could be a world-class basketball talent. That doesn't mean he is FORCED to love basketball every minute of the day. Sometimes kids have other interests. And, I think that's great. 

I hope he finds what he's looking for in life. Nice boy. I wish him all the best. 

Go Hoosiers.

Why would it be nice seeing him at MSU

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why would it be nice seeing him at MSU

My take away from that comment (combined with other comments over the years) is that Booker doesn't love basketball and doesn't commit a ton of time on improving. A lot things I've read make it sounds like he plays because he is gifted and expected to.

Maybe CoachSS thinks that going with going to MSU he won't hurt IU when playing against them or by taking an IU scholarship and then being a flop. Or maybe that he thinks Izzo can motivate him while Woodson couldn't. IDK, it's kind of a confusing comment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CoachSS said:

As an Indiana supporter first-and-foremost (and a Cathedral graduate secondly) it would be nice to see him play for Michigan State. 

A host of reasons go into that. I'll just say... Sometimes with kids they end up loving something that isn't the mainstream. Xavier Booker has tremendous upside and could be a world-class basketball talent. That doesn't mean he is FORCED to love basketball every minute of the day. Sometimes kids have other interests. And, I think that's great. 

I hope he finds what he's looking for in life. Nice boy. I wish him all the best. 

Go Hoosiers.

Comment makes no sense.

• Like 2