2023 C Xavier Booker

On 5/29/2022 at 9:34 PM, IU_Realist said:

All the coaches wanted him to progress.  It just wasn’t Fife. Rumor is Purdue turned down his commitment.  Woodson wanted him to progress as well. 

Don’t think that’s accurate re Purdue turning down his commitment. There would’ve been a lot more smoke around that if it had been true. I know there was a time where teams had questions on his motor/stats during the high school season but he’s clearly flipped the switch. If he had told Painter he wanted to come, he’d be committed to Purdue right now. Pretty sure we’re technically full for the ‘23 class but Edey is likely gone after this season so that’d open up another spot for Booker. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t think that’s accurate re Purdue turning down his commitment. There would’ve been a lot more smoke around that if it had been true. I know there was a time where teams had questions on his motor/stats during the high school season but he’s clearly flipped the switch. If he had told Painter he wanted to come, he’d be committed to Purdue right now. Pretty sure we’re technically full for the ‘23 class but Edey is likely gone after this season so that’d open up another spot for Booker. 

No one cares 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What took you so long?

It’s a hard decision….

nobody cares…but do you point this out thus caring enough to read and post but obviously 🙄 

kinda like when Les opened the news on WKRP with the story that the transmitter was down 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Not sure:

I know before Berg commuted they were 100% adding a big man

MP so far refuses to pay recruits through NIL while guys who have actually been at Purdue get nothing 

I have no idea if Booker is asking for best NIL offers but I don’t blame him 

at least with TJD & Race they have earned the 💰

How long is PU going to be competitive with this type of thinking.  It is not 1980 anymore.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BDB said:

How long is PU going to be competitive with this type of thinking.  It is not 1980 anymore.

I think what that comment means is his current players aren’t getting any money so he’s not going to get new recruits with the promise of money without his guys getting paid too. I unfortunately respect that thought process

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think what that comment means is his current players aren’t getting any money so he’s not going to get new recruits with the promise of money without his guys getting paid too. I unfortunately respect that thought process

But that isn't accurate either...

Purdue did start a collective to offer athletes NIL opportunities, same as IU has done. And I think the "paying for recruits" is more sour grapes than anything from Boilermakers who realize their administration was asleep at the wheel on NIL. Seems the "holier than thou" act only played until the fanbase understood they were headed to the bottom of the Big 10 with the 80s way of thinking @BDB was talking about... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But that isn't accurate either...

Purdue did start a collective to offer athletes NIL opportunities, same as IU has done. And I think the "paying for recruits" is more sour grapes than anything from Boilermakers who realize their administration was asleep at the wheel on NIL. Seems the "holier than thou" act only played until the fanbase understood they were headed to the bottom of the Big 10 with the 80s way of thinking @BDB was talking about... 

that little collective?   That’s what NIL was supposed to be Joe’s pizza with a $5,000 or even State Farm with $50,000…..

but we all know it’s Cook Family “Charity” or Miami Vice…or SEC boosters gone wild 

I agree with you…it’s the future and it’s now.  You add in instant transfers and it’s a circus 🎪 

even before all of this it was rare to have a 4 player class stay all 4 years…now it will be impossible  

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

That’s what NIL was supposed to be Joe’s pizza with a $5,000 or even State Farm with $50,000….

"Supposed to be"? Since there are no NIL state laws in Indiana, as long as schools comply with the bare bones NCAA NIL rules, it's all good.

You Boilermakers need to get over it. You're not the knights in shining armor doing things "the right way" while everyone else is "cheating." You may not like it, but it's the landscape of college sports and all of the wishing in the world isn't going to change that...

My advice would be to pressure your admin to get moving, or find that the road to the bottom of the Big 10 isn't all that long... 

• Like 8

22 hours ago, IUFLA said:

"Supposed to be"? Since there are no NIL state laws in Indiana, as long as schools comply with the bare bones NCAA NIL rules, it's all good.

You Boilermakers need to get over it. You're not the knights in shining armor doing things "the right way" while everyone else is "cheating." You may not like it, but it's the landscape of college sports and all of the wishing in the world isn't going to change that...

My advice would be to pressure your admin to get moving, or find that the road to the bottom of the Big 10 isn't all that long... 

Really nothing has changed…..it’s just in the open.  

personally I hate the portal and extra year more.  Did we really need an extra year of Dirty SOB Brad ?

I have learned many lessons in life!

DVR crappy sports teams to FF through bad games and move on with life 

11 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

I questioned this kids motor in the 2 games I saw live this year. Boy has that changed…he’s going to end up a top 5 player in his class. Potential 1 and done material. 

I know there are probably better examples but has there ever been 2 bigger misses in terms of 5 stars/rankings,etc.. from Indiana at opposite end of the spectrum than Lander and Booker?

Lander was the 5 star no brainer out of the gates....and we know how that ended. Booker was 4 star top 100 back in December now he's top 5. 

12 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

I questioned this kids motor in the 2 games I saw live this year. Boy has that changed…he’s going to end up a top 5 player in his class. Potential 1 and done material. 

lots of big fish after the kid.  Thoughts on where IU might be given the major improvement?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

lots of big fish after the kid.  Thoughts on where IU might be given the major improvement?

Sounds like it's going to be a fight.  I'd call him under 50/50 with all the attention he's getting but I'd bet Turdue is a considerably longer shot.

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Cheaney was dealing with some injuriy issues  if I remember correctly. That was the biggest miss of all time. IU almost missed on him completely

I was at the Bedford, Evansville Game it was Cheaney's senior year Damon's JR. Bob Knight was there with Dick Vitale. Damon went for 50 and Cheaney had 40. I thought Cheaney was the best HS player I had seen.

• Like 2

Good stuff, Mike @The Daily Hoosier.   Appreciate the work, as always.

Confidence and motor can be related.  If you’re tentative, your motor might not seem great because you’re thinking a lot and not just reacting.   In contrast, if you’re confident, you can just go all out more and just want to stick it to people because you feel it.  

From the article, it doesn’t seem like IU is out of it by any stretch.  

• Like 4