2023 C Xavier Booker

17 hours ago, slojoe said:

This guy could make it big in NIL money.   DQ, baby!  Dairy Queen and looks like he's could put down lots of chili dogs at one sitting.

He could get that sponsorship anywhere, though. At IU maybe he could get a Jiffy Treet sponsorship so they'd have "DQ" telling people to buy ice cream from them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ephul said:

With the NIL, I just don't see him leaving after 2 years, one being playing behind an All Conference and a 5th year Senior in Trayce and Race. I'll also add that, if he was planning on going pro ASAP, I think he would've went somewhere with less competition in front of him.

He's not uber athletic or quick. I just don't think he's a top prospect for the NBA. Those 5 star kids get drafted because they are freak athletics and have so much potential.

Could not agree more.  Not even close to TJD in athleticism but had nice feet and hands.

if he is “that good” he’ll show it in short bursts and nba scouts will be all over him 

Might be IU version of TW50 at Purdue….great college player who doesn’t fit in todays nba 

28 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:
3 hours ago, ephul said:

With the NIL, I just don't see him leaving after 2 years, one being playing behind an All Conference and a 5th year Senior in Trayce and Race. I'll also add that, if he was planning on going pro ASAP, I think he would've went somewhere with less competition in front of him.

He's not uber athletic or quick. I just don't think he's a top prospect for the NBA. Those 5 star kids get drafted because they are freak athletics and have so much potential.

Could not agree more.  Not even close to TJD in athleticism but had nice feet and hands.

if he is “that good” he’ll show it in short bursts and nba scouts will be all over him 

Might be IU version of TW50 at Purdue….great college player who doesn’t fit in todays nba 

I certainly could see that. I'd say with his size and build, he's probably a little more suited for the NBA, but as far as skillset, I think that's a great comparison.

4 hours ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Are things looking better with Booked? For awhile, it was being discussed as IU was on the outside looking in. 

Yes. The dumba$$ that screwed things up was shown the door. Booker scheduling this visit with everyone on campus’s bodes well. The whole staff will be there. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, PNWHoosier said:

I haven't seen Queen play as much, but it seems that with both having ball handling skills and both able to shoot from deep that a team could put them anywhere from the 3 - 5 spots and they can co-exist. There's a lot of "position-less" basketball being played. 

I think that’s the key. Queen can play with his back to the basket and finish. His shooting is almost icing. Booker is different. He plays more like a wing. You could go 5 out with those two on the court. 

I haven’t seen him play but from what I’ve read, he can shoot with range at a remarkable level for his height, he can block shots on D really well, and he is not stiff at all like a lot of big guys.  Apparently he can move laterally.  He was universally criticized for having a weak motor initially but now he seems to have found himself on the court.  

I’m not sure about Lamar Odom because Lamar could handle and initiate with the ball.  His ranking is up there with James Wiseman’s as a long, athletic guy,   

If anyone who has seen him play wishes to correct any of my impressions, I  am happy to hear it.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I haven’t seen him play but from what I’ve read, he can shoot with range at a remarkable level for his height, he can block shots on D really well, and he is not stiff at all like a lot of big guys.  Apparently he can move laterally.  He was universally criticized for having a weak motor initially but now he seems to have found himself on the court.  

I’m not sure about Lamar Odom because Lamar could handle and initiate with the ball.  His ranking is up there with James Wiseman’s as a long, athletic guy,   

If anyone who has seen him play wishes to correct any of my impressions, I  am happy to hear it.

From what I have gathered he really liked basketball and things came pretty easily for him after talking to some college coaches and hearing what he needed to do he has taken it to heart and showing that he can do just about anything that is needed on the court. Just needed to hear it from people that he respected CMW being one of them. For high school stars most tell yo how great you are and don't tell you how much work you need to do in certain areas. I don't think motor is going to be an issue in anyway. To say he was coasting is not fair but he has stepped it up to a new level. 

I do see a little Odom and think his ball handling will greatly improve and offensively he will be able to play 3-5 at the collegiate level. Maybe I don't remember it accurately but I see some Marcus Camby like play in him. Still think in the world of comparing high school kids to NBA great Bosh is the one guy I think is the closest

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 11:03 AM, ephul said:

I'm not saying he won't be a good player, or isn't already. He just doesn't have that super high ceiling. Hell, everyone thought Trayce would be gone after a year.

I could see Reneau being like that guard out of Villanova a few years ago. Got drafted late as a senior. Did nothing but win. Just solid all around. Nothing flashy, not overly athletic. Just a damn good ball player. Unfortunately, the NBA wants their 1st rounders to have crazy potential.

Look at a kid like Booker. Shoots the 3, handles pretty decent, crazy long, etc. That's the kid the NBA wants with their 1st round pick. Would Booker be a better NBA player? Who knows. But the risk is probably worth the reward with a kid like Booker.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Over the years, I've heard enough talk. I'll believe it when I see it. When Race has a microphone in his face, not much he can say.

Hey, I hope he truly is Big Ten ready. That would be incredible. Seems like a great kid that just wants to win. Having some insurance behind Trayce and Race is only going to allow them to play more aggressive. And give them fresh legs. That'd be fantastic.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ephul said:

Over the years, I've heard enough talk. I'll believe it when I see it. When Race has a microphone in his face, not much he can say.

Hey, I hope he truly is Big Ten ready. That would be incredible. Seems like a great kid that just wants to win. Having some insurance behind Trayce and Race is only going to allow them to play more aggressive. And give them fresh legs. That'd be fantastic.

I don't quite get this take. Sure, as a fan base we have overhyped guys before (who hasn't?) but generally guys ranked and high as Reneau and JHS come in and are impact players Day 1.

And before anyone points out Bates or Lander, they weren’t rated as high as MR or JHS. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't quite get this take. Sure, as a fan base we have overhyped guys before (who hasn't?) but generally guys ranked and high as Reneau and JHS come in and are impact players Day 1.

And before anyone points out Bates or Lander, they weren’t rated as high as MR or JHS. 

The media overhypes people period.

Define "impact player Day 1".