2023 C Xavier Booker

2 hours ago, ephul said:

The media overhypes people period.

Define "impact player Day 1".

Well for him specifically I don't think he'll start because of Race, but if he did I'd expect him to be capable of what all the other 5 star bigs we've had in the past decade.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't quite get this take. Sure, as a fan base we have overhyped guys before (who hasn't?) but generally guys ranked and high as Reneau and JHS come in and are impact players Day 1.

And before anyone points out Bates or Lander, they weren’t rated as high as MR or JHS. 

I could be wrong, but I thought both Bates and JHS were in the 20's, ie, pretty close to each other in rank.  I thought Lander was in the 20's as well, but that was probably before the reclass and it was pretty apparent later that he was over-ranked. 

I think Bates has a lot of talent.  I just think he was too busy playing and was pretty unfocused last year.  Lots of chatter about him getting serious about his game this summer though.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Well for him specifically I don't think he'll start because of Race, but if he did I'd expect him to be capable of what all the other 5 star bigs we've had in the past decade.

But what does that mean? Put a number to it.

Are you saying 12/6? 8/4? 

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't quite get this take. Sure, as a fan base we have overhyped guys before (who hasn't?) but generally guys ranked and high as Reneau and JHS come in and are impact players Day 1.

And before anyone points out Bates or Lander, they weren’t rated as high as MR or JHS. 

I really think this fanbase is minimizing JHS and Reneau for two main reasons 1) they're not from Indiana so don't know them as well and 2) the scars of Bates and Lander. 

I think JHS will be really good and start from day 1. But specifically for Reneau, look at the track record of 5* bigs with Jared Jeffries, DJ White, Cody Zeller, Noah Vonleh, Thomas Bryant and TJD. 

Every 5* big we've had in 20+ years has delivered from day 1. Other than minutes opportunity given the situation, why would we not expect Reneau to have an immediate impact?

Clearly, his overall impact will be lower because of who is back, but in the minutes he does get, and I think they'll be more than most think, I expect him to look like a 5* big. 

• Like 9

To me its as simple as--- Malik and TJD coming out of HS were ranked dangerously close.

TJD was 14p 8r as a FR. (Malik won't have fraction of that type of an opportunity, but still). 

Malik and JHS are very talented basketball players. Lander NEVER should have been a top 50 guy, hell not a top 100 guy... even in his own class. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I really think this fanbase is minimizing JHS and Reneau for two main reasons 1) they're not from Indiana so don't know them as well and 2) the scars of Bates and Lander. 

I think JHs will be really good and start from day 1. But specifically for Reneau, loom at the track record of 5* Jared Jeffries, DJ White, Cody Zeller, Noah Vonleh, Thomas Bryant and TJD. 

Every 5* big we've had in 20+ years has delivered from day 1. Other than minutes opportunity given the situation, why would we not expect Reneau to have an immediate impact?

Clearly, his overall impact will be lower because of who is back, but in the minutes he does get, and I think they'll be more than most think, I expect him to look like a 5* big. 

Probably very true and I personally have pretty high hopes.  Things *seem* more solid and aligned but the proof is always in the pudding.  

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 2

The #28th ranked FR in the country was Bryce McGowens this past recruiting class...(Malik's ranking). 

The one before that... Walker Kessler. Before that? TJD. 2018= Jahnon Quinerly-- transfered as a FR.. played well the last two years. 

Personally, I think its pretty darn good odds, that one of JHS or MR are a flat out stud. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The #28th ranked FR in the country was Bryce McGowens this past recruiting class...(Malik's ranking). 

The one before that... Walker Kessler. Before that? TJD. 2018= Jahnon Quinerly-- transfered as a FR.. played well the last two years. 

Personally, I think its pretty darn good odds, that one of JHS or MR are a flat out stud. 

I think Schifino, just for the fact that we have a need at that position/skill set.

If Reneau comes in and gives Trayce and Race a good breather, holds his own and isn't a liability defensively, and has 6-8 points and 4 rebounds, I'll be satisfied.

3 minutes ago, ephul said:

I think Schifino, just for the fact that we have a need at that position/skill set.

If Reneau comes in and gives Trayce and Race a good breather, holds his own and isn't a liability defensively, and has 6-8 points and 4 rebounds, I'll be satisfied.

Seriously... flat out--- what if Malik is as good as TJD as a FR? I mean, thats a distinct possibility, right? 

What if that happens? Holy poop we're deep. 

• Like 2

If I were a parent of a player, it sure wouldn’t hurt to have him an hour a way so I can go to all the games, meet with the staff, etc.  All things being equal, of course.  You don’t do that as a selfish act for a coach who sucks. But we have a Coach who takes molding men seriously, and can impart NBA knowledge to an NBA level athlete.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If I were a parent of a player, it sure wouldn’t hurt to have him an hour a way so I can go to all the games, meet with the staff, etc.  All things being equal, of course.  You don’t do that as a selfish act for a coach who sucks. But we have a Coach who takes molding men seriously, and can impart NBA knowledge to an NBA level athlete.  

For sure. I can honestly understand the whole "I want to get away from home and experience life on my (own) as well".

I say on their "own".. these guys are still under a pretty thick microscope once they get to college. Obviously more freedoms than when you're living at home, but a very regimented schedule is put in place for them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I could be wrong, but I thought both Bates and JHS were in the 20's, ie, pretty close to each other in rank.  I thought Lander was in the 20's as well, but that was probably before the reclass and it was pretty apparent later that he was over-ranked. 

I think Bates has a lot of talent.  I just think he was too busy playing and was pretty unfocused last year.  Lots of chatter about him getting serious about his game this summer though.

I’m talking about their rating, not their ranking. Someone may understand better than I do and can feel free to correct, but essentially their ranking has to do with where they stack up against their class (and some aren’t as good as others) where as their rating has to do with how their judged by scouts in the composite independent of their class.

If you pull a list of the highest rated recruits in program history, JHS shows up higher than Blackmon or Yogi despite JBJ and Yogi having a higher ranking out of high school thank JHS. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Seriously... flat out--- what if Malik is as good as TJD as a FR? I mean, thats a distinct possibility, right? 

What if that happens? Holy poop we're deep. 

I think he'll be as good as TJD as a freshman. He's actually ranked higher. That's why I'm surprised by many fans seeming to think he'll only get 10-15 mpg next season. I think he'll be more around 20 mpg because he'll be too good to have sitting on the bench.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I’m talking about their rating, not their ranking. Someone may understand better than I do and can feel free to correct, but essentially their ranking has to do with where they stack up against their class (and some aren’t as good as others) where as their rating has to do with how their judged by scouts in the composite independent of their class.

If you pull a list of the highest rated recruits in program history, JHS shows up higher than Blackmon or Yogi despite JBJ and Yogi having a higher ranking out of high school thank JHS. 

Appreciate the clarification though to be fair, you used noth terms in your original comment.  I failed to separate the two and really grasp what you were saying.  For sure, not all 20-something ranked kids are the same.

Back to the subject of this thread...I'm personally kind of shocked at how Xavier Booker has jumped and is jumping in the rankings.  He's apparently listened and found another gear.  Some members here that seemed a closer to the situation early on said great kid, but IU should stay away due to motor issues.  It would be interesting to hear how that take has changed with recent developments.  It certainly appears that the main knock on Booker has been eliminated.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Appreciate the clarification though to be fair, you used noth terms in your original comment.  I failed to separate the two and really grasp what you were saying.  For sure, not all 20-something ranked kids are the same.

Back to the subject of this thread...I'm personally kind of shocked at how Xavier Booker has jumped and is jumping in the rankings.  He's apparently listened and found another gear.  Some members here that seemed a closer to the situation early on said great kid, but IU should stay away due to motor issues.  It would be interesting to hear how that take has changed with recent developments.  It certainly appears that the main knock on Booker has been eliminated.

I'm not close to the situation but I am one that has said that. I've certainly changed my mind on him.

That said, I still wouldn't be too upset if IU missed on him. Not because I don't think he'll be good at the next level, but because of the way Woodson has been recruiting and who he's been recruiting I think IU will still have plenty of talent.

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

I feel like it’s a giant tease but he did comment on this post. Visit this week gave us a chance now?

E18403D9-D7AB-411E-82C6-BD4DA5D937D0.png

Pretty much every visit at every school players get photos of themselves in the school's uniform. I wouldn't read much into it.

Also, wrong thread. :)

53 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Pretty much every visit at every school players get photos of themselves in the school's uniform. I wouldn't read much into it.

Also, wrong thread. :)

I was talking about Xavier booker commenting on the photo. He said “hmm”, which is why I said I think Booker is just teasing IU fans but maybe the visit helped move us back into serious consideration with him. 

• Like 2