Operating Drones

IUFLA

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just bought this drone for my grandson who turns 12 next week. Anyone here fly these things? Any tips or precautions? 

It's below the 8.8 ounce FAA registration requirements, but was just wondering if anyone has experience operating these things...

All I can offer up is practice, practice, practice. Figure out the the RTH (return to home) deal and not sure if the kid has animals but don't practice around them. I guess drones send out some ultrasound that dogs don't like (think Barney Fife when he was training his dog Blue with that whistle). 

I'd find a big open field and put some work in first. My realtor buddy uses these for her property listings and let's just say she destroyed about 5 before figuring it out. Have fun!

Edited by Seeking6
  • Thanks 1

Funny on the timing of this. My neighbor is doing chimney repairs and the company uses Big Boy Drone Services I think is the name to fly over so they can get visual of repairs/work needed. Guess ladders aren't cutting it anymore. 

My cousin's good friend here in town started this Birdsivideo company. So many rules with drones that I guess I didn't know the legal end of things until reading more. Airspace, can't flyover people,etc...fun world we live in!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Are you going to set up a control tower at his house so he can learn that the pilot is not really the one in charge?

Damn right!

One of the best lines I ever heard from a controller to a complaining pilot...

"All due respect sir, but you've got one aircraft to worry about. I have 15." 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Funny on the timing of this. My neighbor is doing chimney repairs and the company uses Big Boy Drone Services I think is the name to fly over so they can get visual of repairs/work needed. Guess ladders aren't cutting it anymore. 

My cousin's good friend here in town started this Birdsivideo company. So many rules with drones that I guess I didn't know the legal end of things until reading more. Airspace, can't flyover people,etc...fun world we live in!

Yeah, but you have to have the rules for them because some people always want to push the envelope...There was a nimrod flying one on the final approach course for runway 08R  at IAH a couple of years back...Don't want to ingest anything like that in an engine...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, but you have to have the rules for them because some people always want to push the envelope...There was a nimrod flying one on the final approach course for runway 08R  at IAH a couple of years back...Don't want to ingest anything like that in an engine...

Agree all day. Can't imagine the rules most don't even think about when flying those things in public. 

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I just bought this drone for my grandson who turns 12 next week. Anyone here fly these things? Any tips or precautions? 

It's below the 8.8 ounce FAA registration requirements, but was just wondering if anyone has experience operating these things...

Translation.  Grandpa wants to play with drones, and is justifying it by giving it as gift to his grandson.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I had to get my drone license for the one our school bought a few years ago. 2 days of training about airspace, and tons of extra studying.  There aren't even any airports within 30 miles of where I live, but I still had to learn about the stupid "upside down wedding cakes" around airports!

One thing I learned was that the FAA doesn't regulate anything indoors, so you can do whatever you want inside. My instructor said that's how Hollywood gets around it. Shoot inside, and you can fly right over someone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Translation.  Grandpa wants to play with drones, and is justifying it by giving it as gift to his grandson.  

Hell yeah...if I was near him, but he's in Southwest Illinois...I won't get up there until summer...

I did have motive though. I want to get him interested in aviation...maybe he'll follow in grandpa's footsteps...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

but I still had to learn about the stupid "upside down wedding cakes" around airports!

They're still teaching it like that?

That's the basic concept, but the "cake" would look like something off "Worst Cooks in America." 

Edited by IUFLA

13 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

One thing I learned about my drone is that you can change how quickly it turns. It really makes a big difference in video quality if you make the turns less jerky.

The one I bought seemed very basic with pretty good functionality for the price...Think a 12 year old will be able to fly it ok?

26 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

At the air show in Florida two weeks ago, they did a night time drone exhibition. I was totally floored, amazed. Y'all need to watch this.

60 some drone's, with LED's, programmed to fly patterns. There has to be a huge business opportunity here.

That was friggin awesome...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The one I bought seemed very basic with pretty good functionality for the price...Think a 12 year old will be able to fly it ok?

Definitely.  Especially if he is into video games at all.  We have a couple at school that are similar to the one you're talking about.  We fly them indoors with the kids and have them practice coding them.   Even indoors they don't have any problem with flying them normally.  Mostly freshmen and sophomores in high school, so a little older, but once he gets going, it should be a breeze.

It looks like the one you got him has the drone's camera showing up on the phone.  The only issue I sometimes see is not knowing when to look at the drone and when to look at the video on the phone.  It can be a little confusing with that at first.  Otherwise, I'm sure he'll do great.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

My neighbor got one last year. Got the FAA cert. Does an occasional gig for a realtor but its more just a hobby.  Pictures come out very detailed.They used a drone for my home inspection 2 years ago .

I thought about going into business inspecting fields for farmers.  Some drones come with different sensors that can help see how healthy crops are better than normal video.

Drones for Precision Agriculture: Multispectral Analysis of Vegetation -  YouTube

• Like 2

On 4/25/2021 at 10:07 AM, IUFLA said:

Bought one used. Haven’t flown yet, but the seller included a micro drone that is for indoors. Very helpful to practice with a tiny one indoors that can’t get away. Have crashed many times, but have definitely learned a lot about how to control. Building up confidence to try larger one outside 

• Thanks 1