Toys from our youth

rico

@IUFLA's drone post got me to thinking about my "flying toys" and then to toys in general from my youth.  I had actually had one of these as a kid.  I pulled it up and it says 1975.  I wonder if Mom and Dad still have mine in the attic?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/batman-styrofoam-plane-batplane-1975-536047471

Times have changed.

Edited by rico
  • Like 1

Remember this?

Screenshot_20210425-174538.thumb.png.ec5698f8868b1899151abeaa1f7d0476.png

The line control gas powered airplane by Cox. I had a neighbor that got one...his dad insisted we go over to the local elementary school to fly it. He started it on the concrete basketball court. Lasted about 30 seconds before he twisted the line wrong and augered it into a 1,000 piece mess. 

I can still hear his dad screaming...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Remember this?

Screenshot_20210425-174538.thumb.png.ec5698f8868b1899151abeaa1f7d0476.png

The line control gas powered airplane by Cox. I had a neighbor that got one...his dad insisted we go over to the local elementary school to fly it. He started it on the concrete basketball court. Lasted about 30 seconds before he twisted the line wrong and augered it into a 1,000 piece mess. 

I can still hear his dad screaming...

My cousin had one of them...I only saw his Dad(my Uncle) "fly" it.  Pretty cool.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I got an APBA as well.  Had the original dice division for the 1978 season, and even had a PC version when I was older.

Really.  That is so cool.  Never followed it through to the computer age but there were 8 of us that had a league all through HS.  I miss the game and those days.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Really.  That is so cool.  Never followed it through to the computer age but there were 8 of us that had a league all through HS.  I miss the game and those days.

Was never in a formal league.  I would shuffle up the players into new teams and play some short seasons.  When they introduced the computer game, my brother and I would hold a full draft of all players and he would own/manage half the teams and I would own/manage the other half.  Half the fun for us was the draft and trying to build the best team possible.  We never completed a full season, but we would always get far enough into it that we could tell which teams were good and which teams sucked.  The great thing about the computer version is it kept stats for you.

APBA is still in business today.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

Was never in a formal league.  I would shuffle up the players into new teams and play some short seasons.  When they introduced the computer game, my brother and I would hold a full draft of all players and he would own/manage half the teams and I would own/manage the other half.  Half the fun for us was the draft and trying to build the best team possible.  We never completed a full season, but we would always get far enough into it that we could tell which teams were good and which teams sucked.  The grate thing about the computer version is it kept stats for you.

APBA is still in business today.  

APBA was before their time.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

APBA was before their time.  

My son has the PS4 game 'The Show' and he plays it all the time with his friends.  It uses the names and skill sets of real players, but he also gets to create 'himself' and play a career.  He's always talking about how 'he' has a batting average of something like .650 with 114 home runs.  I just shake my head and think to myself how much better APBA was, and probably still is.  No, there wasn't a player in the game that had your name, but the results were realistic.  

• Like 1

I was an adult by the time the computer age rolled around. I do remember when I was stationed at Scott AFB one of my co-workers use to bring a Mattel Intellivision in on mids and we'd play baseball and football...The tips of my thumbs would be numb for days afterwards because of how the controllers were modelled...

Intellivision-Console-Set.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1