Toys from our youth

rico

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Me too...10th B-day single shot Ted Williams .410 shotgun from Sears...

I use to do some muskrat trapping, and it came in handy...

Opening day of squirrel season was like X-mas morning to me.  I trapped as well, there was big money in that for a 10 year-old kid.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

TBH, I was using real guns at a young age.  Different era of course.

I remember my friend and I were in the woods with our BB pistols shooting at imaginary enemies. My dad came storming out of the house and said don't be shooting at each other! I replied, and then he said give me those guns! As I handed him mine I explained I had replied "we're not" instead of what he heard "why not". He gave me back my gun.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Same here.  By 12 I had a ruger .22lr, mossberg 500, and savage .308.  

Couldn't imagine doing that today. 

When did it become mandatory for youth to have an Hunter's Education class?  I was in the 6th grade when I took mine, but it wasn't needed to hunt.

Just now, rico said:

When did it become mandatory for youth to have an Hunter's Education class?  I was in the 6th grade when I took mine, but it wasn't needed to hunt.

I believe 1986. I was born in 85 and I didnt have to but my younger cousin was 3 years younger and he was required to. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

"In April 2011, the government of the State of New York proclaimed that wiffle ball, as well as kickball, freeze tag and dodgeball were a "significant risk of injury" for children, and declared that any summer camp program that included two or more of such activities would be subject to government regulation."

You've got to be kidding me...

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

"In April 2011, the government of the State of New York proclaimed that wiffle ball, as well as kickball, freeze tag and dodgeball were a "significant risk of injury" for children, and declared that any summer camp program that included two or more of such activities would be subject to government regulation."

Smh.  Whoever came up with that was obviously picked last. Kickball was awesome. 

We played a game in gradeschool called guard the castle. I preferred that. Basically dodgeball but each team had 3 road cones to knock over. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Remember these?

See the source image

I actually had a Facebook friend who got a week in the Facebook cooler for posting a picture of several of these.  He'd ran afoul of the Facebook moderators before that and apparently the one who saw this didn't find his little joke as funny as we did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

We had these. I would pay decent money to find these in good condition. Loved playing this game growing up.

Good luck.  eBay has the EMPTY BOXES for sale for $200.

If you get lucky, you might catch a break at an auction if they are brave enough to sell them.  I'm sure at some point, some kid got hit in the head with them and that was all she wrote for lawn jarts.

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Now I just had a true "WTF?" moment.

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

If you get lucky, you might catch a break at an auction if they are brave enough to sell them.  I'm sure at some point, some kid got hit in the head with them and that was all she wrote for lawn jarts.

https://1000waystodie.fandom.com/wiki/Lawn_of_the_Dead

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yep, I think the only way to buy these now is if you happen to stumble upon them at a garage sale or something.