Toys from our youth

rico

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Lived in a one story brick home.  Played entire baseball games with a rubber ball.  Side of the house created ground balls and line drives.  The roof created fly balls (until the gutter caught them).  

See the source image

Wiffleball in my neck of the woods...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Lived in a one story brick home.  Played entire baseball games with a rubber ball.  Side of the house created ground balls and line drives.  The roof created fly balls (until the gutter caught them).  

See the source image

I thought I was the only one. Loved Granpas cinder block walls. Thanks I needed that memory today

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I thought I was the only one. Loved Granpas cinder block walls. Thanks I needed that memory today

I couldn't hit a lick in little league, but I was the best darn glove-man in town.  I attribute it all to hours upon hours with that rubber ball.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I couldn't hit a lick in little league, but I was the best darn glove-man in town.  I attribute it all to hours upon hours with that rubber ball.

That's awesome. Living in the country with no one real close that liked sports I came up with ways to play all sports against myself. Would ride my bike everyday 3 miles to go play waffle ball

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

We used to have some vicious wiffleball games back in the day. By the time we were teenagers, we would have to buy a new ball for every game and would play until the thing was in pieces.

We would tape them up, tape the bat , load them you name it. Great times. The new waffle balls suck, can't make them dance like we used to

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That's awesome. Living in the country with no one real close that liked sports I came up with ways to play all sports against myself. 

That was me.  My brother didn't come along until I was 11, and we didn't live in town, so there were no neighborhood kids to gather up for a game.  When I was younger, there was one boy my age that lived about a half mile away, but he moved when I was like 7.    

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

When I was about 8, there was a huge parking lot behind my house (Twigg Industries...the old man worked there too) that had all of these medium sized smooth round rocks. The end toward our house they didn't use, so I'd put a nail in my busted bats and go out there and hit rocks all day when there was no one to play real baseball or whiffle ball with. Made me a pretty good hitter and my hands were like sandpaper...Never wore a batting glove in my life.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

How many of you with a sister played with one of these.  C'mon, now.  We're all friends here.

Image result for barbie 1972 images

I had a sister.  She was not into dolls.  But I had a female cousin, my age, that was.  I always took the clothes off her Barbies.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We would tape them up, tape the bat , load them you name it. Great times. The new waffle balls suck, can't make them dance like we used to

We used to play a game we invented called "tennisball". We took a wiffle ball bat and stuffed it with newspapers and taped it with duct tape and we drew a "strike zone" with a white crayon or something on the elementary school brick wall. We loved it because we could throw wicked curve balls with the tennis ball...almost as good a with the wiffle ball...and we could play fast pitch, which some of the younger kids were scared to do with the real baseball. We also kept track of home runs all spring/summer.

We played our share of wiffle ball and regular baseball too....but when we were a little older...probably middle school age, we probably played 75% of time with the tennis ball.

On a side note, the school janitor was majorly pissed off at us for marking up the building with a strike zone. It was still there last time I checked about 6-7 years ago.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Reacher said:

We used to have some vicious wiffleball games back in the day. By the time we were teenagers, we would have to buy a new ball for every game and would play until the thing was in pieces.

Yeah, in the summer in my neighborhood, even the grown men would play...Many nights of great whiffle ball games...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That reminded me...we always used a real wooden bat so as not to mess up our swings. The balls didn't last too long, but they were cheap and we could always scrape up the 25 cents for one...

I can still remember the wiffle ball field at my parents house.  90 ft down the left field line, 75 foot down the right.  120 to straight away center.  I had signs hanging on the barbed wire fence.  Every once in a while somebody would hit a johnson and the ball would hit a cow.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I'll tell ya what I don't miss from the good ole days...a f@#Kin' easy bake oven.  I love ya Sis but you couldn't cook back then.

My sister had one of those...2 friggin light bulbs in a plastic case...She never could cook either 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

We were lucky. We had a big hedge around my backyard so it was our own perfect little ivy if you will. We also carried walkie talkies and turned the static up real loud to simulate crowd noise. Sun up to sun down all summer long. Had 3-4 empty lots in our neighborhood too and the builder made a deal with us. If we kept it clean we could use them.....so we mowed baselines/paths,everything....

• Like 4