Numbers for the new players

17 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

honestly people do not need a legitimate reason to hate any player.  Sometimes, people just don't like players. Don't really need to explain or rationalize why to you or anyone else for that matter.  And for the record.  I was meh about Bird when i was young.  I am more impressed now as i am much older and can appreciate how good he was at the time.

Yes, I suppose "just because" is justification when using a powerful word like "hate."

2 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Tom Brady. Hate, just because is not only sufficient but complete. Doesn't always have to be "powerful"  

Maybe I don't swing the word "hate" around like some do...

I can see people disliking Brady for more than a few reasons...But I don't think "just because" is ever a reason at least to me...

I asked a simple question to people FROM Indiana about hating one of their own... @IU Scott,  @Billingsley99, and @Rev_AK gave me their answers based on what team they rooted for at the time, and I can appreciate that...

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Magic Johnson was the only player I was really a huge fan of.  I was a Pacers fan first but when Magic went to the Lakers I followed them.  Ever since I have only been fan of a team and not an individual player

If Magic was named head coach of Purdue tomorrow..............?

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe I don't swing the word "hate" around like some do...

I can see people disliking Brady for more than a few reasons...But I don't think "just because" is ever a reason at least to me...

I asked a simple question to people FROM Indiana about hating one of their own... @IU Scott,  @Billingsley99, and @Rev_AK gave me their answers based on what team they rooted for at the time, and I can appreciate that...

I think you are taking the word "hate" a bit too literally. We are speaking from a sports perspective, not wanting bad things to happen to anybody.

You may be overthinking this one.   :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I think you are taking the word "hate" a bit too literally. We are speaking from a sports perspective, not wanting bad things to happen to anybody.

You may be overthinking this one.   :)

When we use words out of context, they lose their true meaning...

Hating someone or something "just because" makes absolutely no sense to me.

And I said those to who answered, I could appreciate where they were coming from...

I hate the Mets, but I at least justify it...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

5fouls' Top 5 List of Things to Hate

• Divorce attorneys
  • University of Kentucky Basketball
  • Tuna Fish
  • People that wait until the $200 grocery order is rung up to pull out their wallet.  Did ya think you were going to get a freebie?
  • Male pattern baldness

I saw this on bathroom wall in sharpie once. 

The 4 things I hate most

1. Lists

2. Graffiti 

3. Intolerance 

4. Irony

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When we use words out of context, they lose their true meaning...

Hating someone or something "just because" makes absolutely no sense to me.

And I said those to who answered, I could appreciate where they were coming from...

I hate the Mets, but I at least justify it...

Agree on the "H" word. 

I despise certain people, but hate is taking it too far.

A Masshole is someone who I recently learned to despise, as example. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I grew up a stone's throw away from Larry Bird as the crow flies, but I never felt a connection to him as a player. It's kind of weird how I feel about Bird, I respect the heck out of the guy, but I grew up a diehard IU fan and Pacer fan and always saw Bird as the enemy.

I don't 'hate', but the closest I have ever come to hating an NBA team was the Isiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer Detroit Pistons. Isiah turned to the dark side.  My beloved Isiah.

Love, hate, respect, it's a fine line. 

Edited by Officer Obie
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

• Divorce attorneys
  • Tuna Fish
  • People that wait until the $200 grocery order is rung up to pull out their wallet.  Did ya think you were going to get a freebie?
  • Male pattern baldness

You forgot people who wait until everything is rung up to pull out their checkbook and start writing the check after being told the total.  That one grinds my gears

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

• Divorce attorneys
  • Tuna Fish
  • Male pattern baldness

#5 - I rarely look at myself in a mirror, I certainly never look at the back of my head. Someone could have told me I'm going bald.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

• Divorce attorneys
  • Tuna Fish
  • Male pattern baldness

Oh man, I love a good tuna fish sandwich (cut diagonally).

• Like 1

I love Larry Bird.  To me he will always be the ideal embodiment of what an Indiana (the state, not university) basketball player is and can be.  Everything you think of when it comes to an Indiana player, he did it at the maximum level.  Tough, confident, great in the clutch, smart as heck, great passer, hard worker, a total winner.  My family has had a few interactions with him and he’s always been a total class act and genuine too.  I’ve obviously got him on a pedestal and I don’t expect anyone to knock him off.  He was once in a lifetime as far as an Indiana product goes.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

You forgot people who wait until everything is rung up to pull out their checkbook and start writing the check after being told the total.  That one grinds my gears

You should try living in the rural South! Usually an older woman who will wait and then have to pull half of what’s in her purse out on the counter to find her checkbook, then write the check and finally try and put everything back in, in the correct order so she will be able to FIND things! Then even after the transaction is complete, she will continue the nonstop conversation with the clerk about acquaintances, family, Church and.....

Bless Her Heart, is all you can say!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I love Larry Bird.  To me he will always be the ideal embodiment of what an Indiana (the state, not university) basketball player is and can be.  Everything you think of when it comes to an Indiana player, he did it at the maximum level.  Tough, confident, great in the clutch, smart as heck, great passer, hard worker, a total winner.  My family has had a few interactions with him and he’s always been a total class act and genuine too.  I’ve obviously got him on a pedestal and I don’t expect anyone to knock him off.  He was once in a lifetime as far as an Indiana product goes.  

I agree...

I think a lot of people know only the Celtics version of Larry Legend.

The ISU version was great. Those years were special.

• Like 2