2023 PG Gabe Cupps Commits to Indiana

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Go back and read the 5000 page thread and see if i was on the Brown band wagon.  Let me help you.  I was not.  It is however well documented that Brown did just fine playing alongside high level aau talent.  I shed no tears about Brown or Smith, who in my worthless opinion both look better than this guy in limited available videos.  

What this board will do, if he commits, is try every way possible to explain why he's better than those 2.  Maybe he will be.  We will have to wait and see but its perfectly ok for me to be less than impressed with a highlight video every now and then.  And its a ok for you to be impressed. 

Well that is the problem.  It’s a highlight video.  Like I said, Indiana kid circle jerk.  Just stop.  

I will leave this to the professionals. If Woodson, Fife, and team believe this guy deserves a scholarship, and Brown and Smith do not, the staff hasn't done anything for me to question that yet. I mean they do do this for a living. We just sit on our computers picking out potato chips from our belly buttons from last night. 

All 13 scholarships aren't going to be All B1G players. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

I will leave this to the professionals. If Woodson, Fife, and team believe this guy deserves a scholarship, and Brown and Smith do not, the staff hasn't done anything for me to question that yet. I mean they do do this for a living. We just sit on our computers picking out potato chips from our belly buttons from last night. 

All 13 scholarships aren't going to be All B1G players. 

Agree and it’s not like a David William’s situation where we were the only school who offered.  High major schools have offered and he has nice height, etc. 

“His feel, pace, decision making, floor awareness, and shot making abilities were all on display. Very confused on why he is not nationally ranked ”

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

LOL at the dude saying there were 35 kids in Indiana that are like this. 

Get a life bro.  I wasn't overly impressed with one highlight video.  He averaged 16 points a game for his high school team in Dayton.  

Being a 6'4" shooter playing alongside Shepherd gives plenty of space.  

35 was sarcasm.  Is there a handful of Indiana kids like this kid?  Yes and we could go back decades, class after class and prove it.  Will he turn into a Herro?  Evidently thats the hope and guess.  Ill wait and see.  

We can revisit this in 2-3 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Get a life bro.  I wasn't overly impressed with one highlight video.  He averaged 16 points a game for his high school team in Dayton.  

Being a 6'4" shooter playing alongside Shepherd gives plenty of space.  

35 was sarcasm.  Is there a handful of Indiana kids like this kid?  Yes and we could go back decades, class after class and prove it.  Will he turn into a Herro?  Evidently thats the hope and guess.  Ill wait and see.  

We can revisit this in 2-3 years. 

That’s your problem.  One video.  Also it’s evident you like your extremes.  First 35 kids in Indiana and now a one and done first rounder.  The kid has a lot of great offers from Stanford, Indiana, OSU, Xavier, etc. Will he be great? Nobody knows that.  It’s projecting.  He is a coaches son, nice shot, smart kid, etc.  He handles the ball well.  Jordan Hulls averaged 16 ppg his senior season.  Anthony Leal averaged 18 his senior season.  I could go on for ages about D1 kids who averaged less or the same points as a sophomore.  

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, gnet550 said:

Over on btownbanners they have stated he was on campus for an unofficial yesterday. This is his second unofficial to IU...that could mean something!

I had heard he was on campus but never got any additional info about the visit. I find it interesting that it comes on the heels of the Fears visit.  Could be telling but not sure what it is telling. Trying to get in before Fears or are we not as confident with Fears. Or would we take both. Lots of possibilities but to take 2 trips on your own dime speaks volumes to me

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I had heard he was on campus but never got any additional info about the visit. I find it interesting that it comes on the heels of the Fears visit.  Could be telling but not sure what it is telling. Trying to get in before Fears or are we not as confident with Fears. Or would we take both. Lots of possibilities but to take 2 trips on your own dime speaks volumes to me

I'm convinced Woodson wants 2 guards in the 2023 class if it's possible. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

Hard to not think we are looking like his most likely destination at this point 

Multiple visits...and now a junior year official. Sounds like he wants us and I'll leave the recruiting to our staff who has done nothing at this point to disagree with their evaluation. One thing I'll say is this. The falloff from a kid like JHS to a kid like this can be big....but isn't it nice that our floor would be this high over coming few years. Let's say we miss on a big target in 23 or 24 or 25....this kid is here and available to make sure the falloff isn't that big. Seems like good planning to me. 

• Like 1

Gotta expect JSH to be a OAD possibility...or TAD for certain....same with Scoop...this kid is a more long term vision for help at the point. Also very much a 3 pt threat. Kind of the polar opposite of Fears who is more a slasher. Good contrast to both their games and compliment each other.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ba43056 said:

Does he defend the position well against scoring points guards? That was always the knock on Hulls. 

Yes, he’s been compared by some to be similar to Aaron Craft with a jump shot. Not to mention he’s taller than Hulls by at least 3 inches.

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 1