2023 PG Gabe Cupps Commits to Indiana

2 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Let's lock him up so he can start recruiting others in his class. Who wouldn't want to play with a point guard like him?

This has to be a darn good sign. I've noticed that high basketball IQ seems to be a big priority for Woody. Don't get me wrong it's nice to get these incredible high level athletes but Woody isn't ignoring all the other factors that go into winning basketball. Also you can't build a program on OAD types only...that they are good to sprinkle in...but you have the base of your program full of highly skilled/IQ 4 year guys.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Read either in this thread or somewhere else. He's Jordan Hulls with 3 more inches. I'll take guys like that all day every day for a program.

I'm just so tired of these wooful 3pt shooting percentages. What I wouldn't give to bring back some guys that when they caught the ball wide open you were jumping up yes when they released it....instead of screaming NO!!! and covering your eyes.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'm just so tired of these wooful 3pt shooting percentages. What I wouldn't give to bring back some guys that when they caught the ball wide open you were jumping up yes when they released it....instead of screaming NO!!! and covering your eyes.

I'll go to my grave saying the 2002 team/model is how I want our teams constructed. 2-3 shooters peppered with elite talent like JJ. Overall a smart team with an edge of cockiness/confidence. It was Knight's last recruiting class and I still think it plays today.

I see some of those traits in our current squad and I see it in our recruits coming in. Just keep that model going with maybe 1 more elite guy each year....Bates, JHS types or stack those each year so we have at least 2-3 top 30 guys (whether new or returning) on the court.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Read either in this thread or somewhere else. He's Jordan Hulls with 3 more inches. I'll take guys like that all day every day for a program.

That’s not a good comparison. He’s a PG that can shoot. Hulls was a SG. They are very different players. Some people in Ohio have compared him to Craft with a jumper. I personally think he might fit the Gillespie/Arcidiacono mold from Villanova better. I know the “they are all white” comments will be coming but those are just the most logical comps I seen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There's talk that's floating around similar to how there was with Newton. 

That's great to hear. I have felt good about he and Booker for a while but like a few others on here I quit asking for  info after the Bana kid. I will just click on here and fund out when it happens.  I love roller coasters but not in recruiting

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

That's great to hear. I have felt good about he and Booker for a while but like a few others on here I quit asking for  info after the Bana kid. I will just click on here and fund out when it happens.  I love roller coasters but not in recruiting

Cupps was always likely to pop before Booker. He's had his narrowed down for a while and just wanted to see the teams play. Walsh and Ya have done a fantastic job with Cupps and his dad really likes what Woodson and his staff are doing at IU. 

• Like 6