2023 PG Gabe Cupps Commits to Indiana

First reaction - he's a fighter that appears to have a chip on his shoulder and that usually bodes well for the level of effort he will bring. He is likely the closest thing to a true point guard IU has had since Yogi.

Admittedly, I was concerned about his size after seeing references to 6'0 160 lbs and then others have him at 6'2 170. But he has a couple years before arriving so that's going to change. This is the first recruit that does not fall into the template CMW has been following of large, multi-position players. Still, he looks to be a reliable point that can run the offense and shoot it and shooting it is a big part of what CMW has preached since he arrived.

Solid signing and the 2023 class is developing quickly. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Smart player.  Tough kid.  Team oriented. Coach’s son.  He’s right out of central casting for an Indiana player.  Happy we got him.  

For me ….as big a deal as getting the commitment is seeing the coaching staff actively look for someone that doesn’t check all the athlete boxes.  Woodson giving the green light here tells me he is better at evaluating the programs needs than the prior regime.  You can rarely go wrong with a hard nosed coaches kid who shoots and takes care of the ball.  I hope he grows more but if he stays 6’2 Woodson thought enough of those intangibles to risk giving him a spot and I find that impressive and refreshing 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

For me ….as big a deal as getting the commitment is seeing the coaching staff actively look for someone that doesn’t check all the athlete boxes.  Woodson giving the green light here tells me he is better at evaluating the programs needs than the prior regime.  You can rarely go wrong with a hard nosed coaches kid who shoots and takes care of the ball.  I hope he grows more but if he stays 6’2 Woodson thought enough of those intangibles to risk giving him a spot and I find that impressive and refreshing 

He is athletic enough as well as those other qualities 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don’t know about that. IU is all in on Little too and Cupps is well aware of that. Now he is bigger so he could play as a 2 as well so that could be a factor.

FWIW, what I was hearing prior the Friday visit was this was a validation are we sure visit. His mind was pretty well set Fridays game was the final test drive just to be sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

FWIW, what I was hearing prior the Friday visit was this was a validation are we sure visit. His mind was pretty well set Fridays game was the final test drive just to be sure.

That sounds accurate. His number of visits was very telling. He just wanted to see a Mike Woodson team play in person and he liked what he saw. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I just can't remember a time where we had 2 highly ranked kids committed this early who have yet to start their junior year. Makes me curious if one has the opportunity to reclassify. Both from what I understand have high gpa's/grades,etc...

Either way just another great get. This staff man. 

I’m happy with the two we have in this class so far so please don’t take this the wrong way, but I kind of feel like if CAM was still here we’d be talking about how two 100+ ranked recruits aren’t where we want to be or the type of guys that will get us over the top. No? 

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

Life was a lot better when we had Yogi and Coverdale, huh? 

There was some growing pains for sure…and you can’t just have all unathletic backcourt etc but I don’t hate having a Hulls if you can pair with a Dipo etc. But I don’t care how long our backcourts wingspan is if they can’t shoot.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Took me 10 mins to find this thread. Shouldn't this be on the recruiting board? 

Anyways this kid is filling it up. Had a 30pt 9asst game vs. Huntington Prep on 12 shots. Centerville OH is ranked top 10 in the country by some places. 

I believe that he was 14-14 from the line. Can't wait to get him playing for the Hoosiers.  0 turnovers in that game as well. He is the real deal. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Took me 10 mins to find this thread. Shouldn't this be on the recruiting board? 

Anyways this kid is filling it up. Had a 30pt 9asst game vs. Huntington Prep on 12 shots. Centerville OH is ranked top 10 in the country by some places. 

I hope he can be like Gillespie from Villanova who Jay Wright said he is the best leader he has ever coached.