2023 PG Gabe Cupps Commits to Indiana

20 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Hulls was certainly elite but so was Blackmon, Yogi, and Zeisloft at a minimum. Could make a case for a few guys that shot a lower volume after Hulls too.

Crean did a pretty good job of putting a lot of guys who could really shoot on the floor. 

Max Bielfeldt shot 45% from three at IU after shooting 27% at MI. 

• 2 weeks later...

More positive reports from the National guys this morning about Cupps play at EYBL event in Westfield. I don't think I've been this confident in our guards we have and those that will be coming in a long time.

Obviously we always have to recruit but I feel like we are set for at least a few years.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Cupps and his Centerville, Ohio team will be playing in New Albany on December 29th.  

NA better hope they improve. That will be a thrashing if not. Dog pound tough place to play, I get it. Centerville was a top 10 team in the country this past year and added the Powell kid we are recruiting. 

• Like 1

At first I was concerned because CMW made it clear he wanted bigger more athletic guards and GC does not fit the description. But the more you see and hear from the kid the more you like him. Coach on the floor type who knows how to lead a team. 

Cupps is about 6'2 165 by most recruiting sites. Compare that to K Lander, who IU listed at 6'2 and a very generous 185, and you get the sense he will need to hit the gym before arriving in Bloomington. But I wouldn't count him out regardless. Other's have had success at that size in college.

Bobby Hurley (No, not saying he's Hurley) was 6'0 165 at Duke and that may have been when he graduated because I'm not sure he was 165 as a freshman. If Cupps can control the ball and knock down shots he'll help the team. The bigger challenge will be on defense and that's something he's going to have to figure out because teams will attack him.

Look forward to seeing him develop and be a part of this team. He has the personality and leadership skills that draws other recruits to want to be on his team. By the time it's over he has the potential to be one of the all-time fan favorites.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Bobby Hurley (No, not saying he's Hurley) was 6'0 165 at Duke and that may have been when he graduated because I'm not sure he was 165 as a freshman

Hurley might have been 165 as a freshman if he wore a lead-lined jock strap and didn't take a $%^& for a week. 

You also have to consider....that was 30 years ago.  Nutrition and training have advanced so much since then that while Hurley was smaller even for his era, the discrepancy wasn't as much. 

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

At first I was concerned because CMW made it clear he wanted bigger more athletic guards and GC does not fit the description. But the more you see and hear from the kid the more you like him. Coach on the floor type who knows how to lead a team. 

Cupps is about 6'2 165 by most recruiting sites. Compare that to K Lander, who IU listed at 6'2 and a very generous 185, and you get the sense he will need to hit the gym before arriving in Bloomington. But I wouldn't count him out regardless. Other's have had success at that size in college.

Bobby Hurley (No, not saying he's Hurley) was 6'0 165 at Duke and that may have been when he graduated because I'm not sure he was 165 as a freshman. If Cupps can control the ball and knock down shots he'll help the team. The bigger challenge will be on defense and that's something he's going to have to figure out because teams will attack him.

Look forward to seeing him develop and be a part of this team. He has the personality and leadership skills that draws other recruits to want to be on his team. By the time it's over he has the potential to be one of the all-time fan favorites.

This kid lives at the gym.  He knows he needs to get stronger and bigger.   He's on the record stating it.  He doing what's needed to be successful when he arrives at IU.  As a coaches kid, playing pg, I believe he knows what's expected of him.   😊

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

This is the first time that I have seen Cupps. I appreciate how he plays within himself. Has a good understanding of the game on both ends. And it seems he is looked to as a leader on the floor. 

And for the record, I really like Reed Shepherd. 😬

I thought the same thing regarding Sheppard. A very smart player.

Cupps plays like Hulls. Just has a swag to his game. Head is always up with the ball.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Between2Halls said:

I would be ok with Cupps playing point this year. 🤓 

I was watching him mainly on defense. Surprised me how quick he was. Had no issue staying in front of quicker ball handlers. Did a great job cutting off driving lanes. If he can play some defense, I could easily see him getting some minutes as a freshman.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, ephul said:

I was watching him mainly on defense. Surprised me how quick he was. Had no issue staying in front of quicker ball handlers. Did a great job cutting off driving lanes. If he can play some defense, I could easily see him getting some minutes as a freshman.

This young man will be a fan favorite in the line of those like Yogi and Hulls. He will be fine on defense and he is much more athletic than a lot of people give him credit for.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Here's the game edited down to 14 minutes.  Gabe's team won 78 - 67.  Gabe is #0 for Midwest (black jerseys).

When they showed the rosters with the player rankings it appeared to be a mismatch according to the ratings experts... 

Screenshot_20220727-092247.thumb.png.6024603033aad9319881b2418eee2589.png

So much for that, eh? 

• Like 2

First time to really see Cupps play other than highlights, which can be misleading.

First, that team was impressive. They share the ball, keep moving, and can shoot it. They actually try to play defense. If I heard correctly, the other team had not been together as long, so take that into consideration. Still, Cupps can impact the game in multiple ways and he actually took a charge.

He's definitely a PG. At no point did it look like he was trying to do anything other than set the offense and run the team. A nice shot and great vision. Finished a couple at the rim. Played under control. Somewhat surprise he has a decent first step and was able to get by the defender baseline and into the lane. On defense,where I have the most concern for his future, he did not appear to be a physical mismatch in favor of the other team. When I heard 6'2 165 that was the first thought - how can he compete defensively. My guess is he is bigger than that today and has over a year to add on. 

Usually when I watch an IU recruit in these types of games they tend to blend into the background. Of late, that's changed. JHS and Malek were noticeable. Gunn looked good in the all start games. Cupps may not be flashy but you could tell he was in the game and in a positive way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When they showed the rosters with the player rankings it appeared to be a mismatch according to the ratings experts... 

Screenshot_20220727-092247.thumb.png.6024603033aad9319881b2418eee2589.png

So much for that, eh? 

If that Griffith kid was #2 on Cupps' team, no thank you. Took terrible shots, stood around, not active. No thanks.

11 minutes ago, ephul said:

If that Griffith kid was #2 on Cupps' team, no thank you. Took terrible shots, stood around, not active. No thanks.

He's committed to Cincinnati. Maybe Rob Phinisee can light a fire under him.

Say what you want about Rob's offensive struggles, but effort was never a question with him... 

• Like 2