2023 PG Gabe Cupps Commits to Indiana

• 2 months later...
51 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Cupps has signed his NLI with Indiana!

Based on what we have this year and what's on the way with Cupps (and others) I feel like I don't have to worry about the PG position for sometime. Cupps is a bigger, faster, stronger Jordy Hulls who can shoot just maybe not as good as Jordy...yet.

Plus the kid is a gym rat. He waited to sign this morning until he got his work in. As always. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Based on what we have this year and what's on the way with Cupps (and others) I feel like I don't have to worry about the PG position for sometime. Cupps is a bigger, faster, stronger Jordy Hulls who can shoot just maybe not as good as Jordy...yet.

Plus the kid is a gym rat. He waited to sign this morning until he got his work in. As always. 

and LONGER. WAY LONGER than Jordy. 

Jordy survived because of his shooting ability, anticipation, and toughness. I never considered Jordy a PG, though. Cupps is a true 1. 

• Like 6

Congrats to Gabe and his family. Congrats also to CMW and his staff. Another great addition. 

Job 1 for any offense - get the ball up the court and into your offense. Done and Done with GC. I do believe he is more than that and will prove it. He can shoot it. The only question I had was weather he has the size to defend.

The last report I came across said Cupps is 6'2 170, so by the time he suits up for IU he should be closer to 175 or more. Hulls was shorter at 6'0 and around 180.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A few December 2022 games for Gabe:

4 points.  1-7 Field Goal shooting.

14 points.  5-9 shooting.

12 points.  3 - 11 shooting.

19 points.  5 - 12 shooting.

He's had at least one scoreless half.  Maybe two.  I don't have his season-to-date stats.  He may have had a 27 point game sometime recently.  If it did happen, don't know if it was exhibition, or part of his season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

A few December 2022 games for Gabe:

4 points.  1-7 Field Goal shooting.

14 points.  5-9 shooting.

12 points.  3 - 11 shooting.

19 points.  5 - 12 shooting.

He's had at least one scoreless half.  Maybe two.  I don't have his season-to-date stats.  He may have had a 27 point game sometime recently.  If it did happen, don't know if it was exhibition, or part of his season.

He had 27 against Cathedral here in Indy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Man….., he’s gonna be fun to watch! He has great court vision, 3 pt. range and ball handling skills. 

Memory gets fuzzy but Jordy Hulls freshman year we were playing Michigan at home. I think it was New Year's Eve. Hulls nailed like 6 straight free throws as a freshman in final minute or so to beat them. Remember thinking how nice it was to have a kid say we aren't losing this one on my watch. 

I bring that up the same way I think of Braden Smith. Different type of moxy with kids. I see that moxy with Cupps...and honestly he's longer/faster/more athletic than both. Glad he's heading to the 812.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Memory gets fuzzy but Jordy Hulls freshman year we were playing Michigan at home. I think it was New Year's Eve. Hulls nailed like 6 straight free throws as a freshman in final minute or so to beat them. Remember thinking how nice it was to have a kid say we aren't losing this one on my watch. 

I bring that up the same way I think of Braden Smith. Different type of moxy with kids. I see that moxy with Cupps...and honestly he's longer/faster/more athletic than both. Glad he's heading to the 812.

Nice analogy! I remember. People have to remember that these are the type of players that Coach Woodson wants to continue to recruit and build his teams with. There are some posters/fans blaming Coach Woodson for this roster’s player performances. All the while, ONLY one HS player (he recruited) starts and the other two starters are portal players that he added last year. TJD is a stud on any NCAA team, so he is a given. My point is, when he gets HIS type of players, we most likely will see a different (better) IU team……, Lord Willing! LOL!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...