2023 PG Gabe Cupps Commits to Indiana

"Indiana has been the biggest on me, they have been reaching out the most consistently," he said. "They just tell me to keep working, keep getting stronger and keep winning." 

And probably mumbled under their breath to keep growing.

Good thing he's just finishing his sophomore year.  Be competing with kansas instead of toledo for this one.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 12:48 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

Now, that’s truly confounding.  

What is? These kids are a dime a dozen...but like smith you keep feelers out and if they fully blow up you’ve been in contact. Not like he has an offer. Kid is a long shot but we see potential...time will tell if it develops.

17 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yes, but Smith had strong interest from Villanova and Gonzaga.  He canceled zooms with at least those two schools after he committed. 

Odd that he wouldn't wait it out to see if he got offers from them over committing when/where he did then.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cybergates said:

Odd that he wouldn't wait it out to see if he got offers from them over committing when/where he did then.

Maybe Purdue was his dream school all along and no one likes to admit it. Kinda funny he reminds me a lot of Collin Gillespie of Villanova....but he isn't 6'3...and that might be all the difference in getting that offer or not. So he took Purdue.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe Purdue was his dream school all along and no one likes to admit it. Kinda funny he reminds me a lot of Collin Gillespie of Villanova....but he isn't 6'3...and that might be all the difference in getting that offer or not. So he took Purdue.

In an article in the Indy Star, it said Smith contacted some family friends in the coaching community and asked if they thought he could play at Purdue. They supposedly assured him he could and BS said it just reaffirmed what he thought. To me it sounded like he had some doubts about his ability to play in the Big 10 so it doesn't surprise me that he didn't pursue an offer from Nova or Gonzaga.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

In an article in the Indy Star, it said Smith contacted some family friends in the coaching community and asked if they thought he could play at Purdue. They supposedly assured him he could and BS said it just reaffirmed what he thought. To me it sounded like he had some doubts about his ability to play in the Big 10 so it doesn't surprise me that he didn't pursue an offer from Nova or Gonzaga.

If I was him I'd redshirt his freshman year if Purdue wants that. Give himself a full year to evaluate where he is and where he believes he can get to. He may very well be that Aaron Craft (albeit smaller) kind of kid or he may have to spend several years to get himself to the point he can contribute. He can always transfer out if it doesn't materialize. Painter will play freshman if they earn it...so time will tell. If you want to play in the B1G then this probably was his best and most certain way to do it. Who knows if he goes mid major and if he could ever get an offer from the portal or blows out a knee. Congrats to the kid....but I don't feel bad we waited to offer.

• 1 month later...

Im not that impressed.  What is this shirts vs skins or wife beaters vs the freshman team? 

Are there not 35 kids in Indiana with this size and skill set?  

I'm no professional recruit but what am I missing?  Is he related to someone we should know?

Some of his big teammates were banging 3's.  Are we looking at them.  

• Like 1

I mean Xavier, OSU, Kansas State, etc. have offered as well.  I mean his team beat Moeller who has multiple D1 players this year.  I am sure that 35 Indiana kids have teams that think that highly of him.  Yet people on here drool over a kid who went away from big basketball to chase a scoring title instead of playing big boy ball and couldn’t beat a team of this caliber.  Also, this kid is doing things on the AAU circuit unlike those 35 other Indiana kids.  

Boards can be so delusional at times.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, GC19 said:

I like him. Still, I would’ve thought he’d be more in the ‘wait and see’ camp. But what do I know?  At least his teams win, unlike Colvin’s.  Is he young for his grade?

I agree.  IU is going for a PG in this class it seems.  We have Johnson and Phinisee for at most two years and Lander for how many.  Need a backup or someone to take over after Lander.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IU_Realist said:

I agree.  IU is going for a PG in this class it seems.  We have Johnson and Phinisee for at most two years and Lander for how many.  Need a backup or someone to take over after Lander.  

We don't want to put all our eggs in one basket but I think Fears is probably leading recruit on the board. Certainly need to have other options and be in contact with other kids in case they blow up or your plan falls through. I also feel pretty good that Yasir has a lot of connections to point guards in the 21 class that have already committed elsewhere but if something doesn't work out could be on the table for us in the portal as well.

Who knows...the Schafino-Hood kid even though he might have combo guard size could also be a primary ball handler too. I certainly wouldn't turn him down.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We don't want to put all our eggs in one basket but I think Fears is probably leading recruit on the board. Certainly need to have other options and be in contact with other kids in case they blow up or your plan falls through. I also feel pretty good that Yasir has a lot of connections to point guards in the 21 class that have already committed elsewhere but if something doesn't work out could be on the table for us in the portal as well.

Who knows...the Schafino-Hood kid even though he might have combo guard size could also be a primary ball handler too. I certainly wouldn't turn him down.

Exactly.  Plenty of guards we are looking at.  I was just basically calling out the ridiculousness of comparing him to 35 other guards in Indiana.  People need to calm down on offers.  I get it.  I didn’t initially like the Woodson hire but then Fife came and I calmed down.  He got some good players to come in and I calmed down.  It’s like the Smith thing.  IU in 2022 is looking at a lot of different things other than PG.  It doesn’t look like a need with the three PGs we have.  2023 is different as we lose two of them.   Cupp has some potential and is a coach’s son. Just wait to freak out as I have learned as well.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, IU_Realist said:

I mean Xavier, OSU, Kansas State, etc. have offered as well.  I mean his team beat Moeller who has multiple D1 players this year.  I am sure that 35 Indiana kids have teams that think that highly of him.  Yet people on here drool over a kid who went away from big basketball to chase a scoring title instead of playing big boy ball and couldn’t beat a team of this caliber.  Also, this kid is doing things on the AAU circuit unlike those 35 other Indiana kids.  

Boards can be so delusional at times.  

Go back and read the 5000 page thread and see if i was on the Brown band wagon.  Let me help you.  I was not.  It is however well documented that Brown did just fine playing alongside high level aau talent.  I shed no tears about Brown or Smith, who in my worthless opinion both look better than this guy in limited available videos.  

What this board will do, if he commits, is try every way possible to explain why he's better than those 2.  Maybe he will be.  We will have to wait and see but its perfectly ok for me to be less than impressed with a highlight video every now and then.  And its a ok for you to be impressed. 

• Like 3