The All "What If" Team

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

What was the back story on Dampier?  He wanted IU but we didn’t offer and he went to UK?

I know for a fact that the Bob Gibson thing is true.  I heard him tell the story in a lengthy interview. I remember attaching the link here.  

I just heard Dampier tell this story the other day on the radio, and that's what got me thinking about this thread.  Dampier went to Southport HS in Indy.  His family were all big IU fans.  His uncle had some connections to Branch McCracken and took Louie on a visit.  There was some discussion in the office and Louie was asked to step outside.  When the adults came out of the office, his uncle was beaming and McCracken looked defeated.  Branch told Louie that if he really wanted to go to IU there would be a scholarship for him.  Louie said he left feeling that the offer was his uncle's doing, and that McCracken didn't really want him there.  He said he wanted to play somewhere he was wanted, so he went to UK.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Gibson wanted to play basketball for IU (He did play for the Globetrotters), at some point  Branch McCracken told Gibson he already had one African American (not in those words) and wasn't looking for another one.

I'd never heard the Bob Gibson to IU basketball story. I had no idea. The guy was an awesome an athlete.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Gibson wanted to play basketball for IU (He did play for the Globetrotters), at some point  Branch McCracken told Gibson he already had one African American (not in those words) and wasn't looking for another one.

Gibson played at Creighton and averaged over 20 ppg for his 3 year career...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

I'd never heard the Bob Gibson to IU basketball story. I had no idea. The guy was an awesome an athlete.

Fast forward to the 11:55 mark if you are only interested in the IU stuff.  I met Bob once in Peoria Illinois.  He was an amazing man, and actually quite kind.

SportsCentury: Bob Gibson - YouTube

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Not doubling you at all,but if that is true, it's a really sad and regrettable commentary on who we were back then.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Not doubling you at all,but if that is true, it's a really sad and regrettable commentary on who we were back then.

I thought about that, but I really do not think its fair to judge people in the past on today's standards.  Fortunately we have evolved.  I think it's also important to note that McCracken was the first, and for some time, the only coach in the Big 10 to have an African American player. even if it was just 1.

• Like 3

What if Landon Turner never got into a car wreck? 

What if Kirk Haston stayed another year? 

What if Jordan Hulls never hurt his shoulder? 

What if Crean knew how to coach against a zone?

What if Alan Henderson never hurt his knee?

What if Scott May never broke his arm?

What if Coverdale never twisted his ankle really bad in 2002? 

What if we hired Calipari instead of Sampson?

What if we didn't extend Crean's contract and hired someone else after the rebuild? 

What if we went with a legitimate IU guy instead of Sampson?

What if we clammed and lawyered up like North Carolina instead of self imposing sanctions after the Sampson fiasco? 

Heaven forbid what if we never hired Bobby Knight?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

What if we clammed and lawyered up like North Carolina instead of self imposing sanctions after the Sampson fiasco? 

What if Sampson's team didn't do drugs and didn't get in trouble?

What if Sampson threw his cell phone away when he got to IU?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Nick Anderson described Ben Wilson as Magic Johnson with a jump shot. #1 player in country going into his senior year, when he was killed.

My recollection was that he was a really highly sought after recruit and, at the time, the rumor was that he was coming to IU.  Years after his death, I've read that his recruitment wasn't settled for IU and there were several schools he was considering.  But at the time it felt like we were about to get another superstar player out of Chicago, on the heels of Isaiah Thomas departure.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Bird & Turner are two good ones.  I'll add another: If Ben Wilson had not been killed AND had come to play for Knight in the mid 80's.

Really good one on Ben Wilson. Grew up watching him and his Simeon teams. I couldn't even imagine what he Alford would look like playing together.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

What if Landon Turner never got into a car wreck? 

What if Kirk Haston stayed another year? 

What if Jordan Hulls never hurt his shoulder? 

What if Crean knew how to coach against a zone?

What if Alan Henderson never hurt his knee?

What if Scott May never broke his arm?

What if Coverdale never twisted his ankle really bad in 2002? 

What if we didn't extend Crean's contract and hired someone else after the rebuild? 

Heaven forbid what if we never hired Bobby Knight?

Jeez dude...  do you even sleep at night?

Lol. 😃

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Fast forward to the 11:55 mark if you are only interested in the IU stuff.  I met Bob once in Peoria Illinois.  He was an amazing man, and actually quite kind.

SportsCentury: Bob Gibson - YouTube

Thanks for this.  I also listened to him on a podcast that was quite lengthy and was essentially a biography of him.  He spent some time discussing basketball and wanting to go to IU.  I just looked for the link now but it is like finding a needle in the haystack.  Your link covers it well.  It was interesting that the Big O chimed in too.  Talk about some missed opportunities!  The crazy thing is this wasn’t that long ago.  I feel like I grew up in a more enlightened time, but this was only 10 years or so before I was born.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks for this.  I also listened to him on a podcast that was quite lengthy and was essentially a biography of him.  He spent some time discussing basketball and wanting to go to IU.  I just looked for the link now but it is like finding a needle in the haystack.  Your link covers it well.  It was interesting that the Big O chimed in too.  Talk about some missed opportunities!  The crazy thing is this wasn’t that long ago.  I feel like I grew up in a more enlightened time, but this was only 10 years or so before I was born.  

First time I saw anything about Gibson and IU was in his autobiography, "From Ghetto to Glory" published in 1968. I read it when I was about 10 I'd guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2