2023 SG Joey Hart Commits to pUKe

It’s true that he’s a bit of a late bloomer. That’s why I think more and more high D1 schools will be getting involved and already are. I’m going to try to post a highlight video (yes, I know lol) that I watched the other day. The kid makes some high level shots that would translate very well to college. Pure shooter with a quick, high release and some pop. I realize I maybe a little bias since he’s a hometown kid, but I think he may be better than even I thought. 
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2411812/60929823bd6a42181c73e8d8

This was on his Twitter. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GC19 said:

It’s true that he’s a bit of a late bloomer. That’s why I think more and more high D1 schools will be getting involved and already are. I’m going to try to post a highlight video (yes, I know lol) that I watched the other day. The kid makes some high level shots that would translate very well to college. Pure shooter with a quick, high release and some pop. I realize I maybe a little bias since he’s a hometown kid, but I think he may be better than even I thought. 
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2411812/60929823bd6a42181c73e8d8

This was on his Twitter. 

I taught and coached at Linton in the early 2000's. Lots of great people in GC

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I still think he is a long shot to get to IU or Purdue but it is really important to keep contact with this level recruit in case he continues to break out or grows a couple more inches etc. Tons of kids with similar ability and size but you never know which one is going to break out and you don’t want to be caught flat footed.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2021 at 8:30 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

Not sure what the competition was like, but nine threes in one game will garner attention.   At 6’5, he’s got good length.  He might be one of those hidden gems from a smaller area.  

I’m not sure either, but it was a close game. 

On 7/11/2021 at 9:12 PM, dgambill said:

I still think he is a long shot to get to IU or Purdue but it is really important to keep contact with this level recruit in case he continues to break out or grows a couple more inches etc. Tons of kids with similar ability and size but you never know which one is going to break out and you don’t want to be caught flat footed.

My guess is they will offer eventually, but it’s not urgent because if they don’t get him, they can get somebody just like him.  But, he’s good enough to go HM. I’d say he will have his pick of a few before all is said and done. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GC19 said:

I’m not sure either, but it was a close game. 

My guess is they will offer eventually, but it’s not urgent because if they don’t get him, they can get somebody just like him.  But, he’s good enough to go HM. I’d say he will have his pick of a few before all is said and done. 

Yeah....type of recruit you can afford to slow play a little due to geography etc. I think that is why you have good communication you can hold off on offering. They will be able to see plenty of his games if they want being in their backyard. No rush. I do think he possesses some of those things they've been looking for in a wing shooter like Karaban, Taylor, and Sheppard. He doesn't have that pedigree behind him those do and hasn't had the AAU attention but I think the kid is going to be one of those late bloomers....really starting to come out of his shell and shine. Agree he will have several choices and it's good for him. His dad went to VU and then later to Coastal Carolina...so he should have more options then he had to stay local...but then again some kids like we saw the Brown kid going out of state appeals to them.

I would like to see his lateral movement defensively, but he’s 6’5 with good jumping ability.  He was also obviously feeling it that day and didn’t get much defensive pressure on him.  But assuming all those things check out anyway, he looks like a Big Ten Talent.  Ask yourself what kind of publicity he would have if he played at Bloomington South, or North Central, or Lawrence North?  I think he’s getting dinged for where he plays.  Unlike Luke Brown and others, he’s a solid 6’5.   Is he a Barnhizer or Goode?  I’d say probably better but it is worth more examination.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I would like to see his lateral movement defensively, but he’s 6’5 with good jumping ability.  He was also obviously feeling it that day and didn’t get much defensive pressure on him.  But assuming all those things check out anyway, he looks like a Big Ten Talent.  Ask yourself what kind of publicity he would have if he played at Bloomington South, or North Central, or Lawrence North?  I think he’s getting dinged for where he plays.  Unlike Luke Brown and others, he’s a solid 6’5.   Is he a Barnhizer or Goode?  I’d say probably better but it is worth more examination.  

He really took a back seat role on his team last year. They had the Lincoln Hale kid that was a D1 player and a couple other really good kids. They've had pretty darn good teams and he wasn't needed to be assertive. Now he is going to be asked to do a lot more heavy lifting for them and it appears he is ready to take on that role. Comes from a coaches family both father and grandfather successful coaches so he understands the game pretty well and does what is needed to win. I agree his strength and movement on defense will be where his biggest growth will have to come but he has a good foundation to build on. Got decent bounce in his step so sneaky athleticism.  I think his shooting translates well. He has a very high release on his shot that allows him to shoot even contested shots and not have it seriously affected. That said there are so much more that will have to come into focus for him to being really successful at a school like IU. I think he is going to be one of those kids that comes on late and catches people by surprise. Will be interesting to see how or if he gets recruited by us.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

On 7/13/2021 at 1:37 PM, dgambill said:

Yeah....type of recruit you can afford to slow play a little due to geography etc. I think that is why you have good communication you can hold off on offering. They will be able to see plenty of his games if they want being in their backyard. No rush. I do think he possesses some of those things they've been looking for in a wing shooter like Karaban, Taylor, and Sheppard. He doesn't have that pedigree behind him those do and hasn't had the AAU attention but I think the kid is going to be one of those late bloomers....really starting to come out of his shell and shine. Agree he will have several choices and it's good for him. His dad went to VU and then later to Coastal Carolina...so he should have more options then he had to stay local...but then again some kids like we saw the Brown kid going out of state appeals to them.

I wouldn’t wait too much longer…

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

I wouldn’t wait too much longer…

I know of 1 MVC coach that just a couple weeks ago wasn’t sure if he could play at their school. There’s a reason these other schools are showing interest but haven’t offered yet.

13 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I know of 1 MVC coach that just a couple weeks ago wasn’t sure if he could play at their school. There’s a reason these other schools are showing interest but haven’t offered yet.

Mvc?? Uh that’s crazy. Worried at high major sure! I know there is a ways to go for him but if a MVC coach doesn’t think he can play there he is going to miss some really good kids. I know he is a late bloomer but he has nice bounce in his game, high release on his shot, and kid will shoot over 40% easily from 3 and can finish around the basket with either hands. Coaches kid. He will make a good player somewhere even if it isn’t at the B1G level. 
Northwestern offering and Purdue and IU trying to set up visits. Kid is a smart very capable player. Mid majors will be tripping over themselves by the time school season starts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Mvc?? Uh that’s crazy. Worried at high major sure! I know there is a ways to go for him but if a MVC coach doesn’t think he can play there he is going to miss some really good kids. I know he is a late bloomer but he has nice bounce in his game, high release on his shot, and kid will shoot over 40% easily from 3 and can finish around the basket with either hands. Coaches kid. He will make a good player somewhere even if it isn’t at the B1G level. 
Northwestern offering and Purdue and IU trying to set up visits. Kid is a smart very capable player. Mid majors will be tripping over themselves by the time school season starts.

I haven’t watched him. I just know that there are questions about his game. What those are I’m not 100% sure.

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I haven’t watched him. I just know that there are questions about his game. What those are I’m not 100% sure.

Wow. First I’ve heard anything like that .  . . from anybody. At least in the last year or so. 

E2F98897-3456-4C7C-944A-810A2CA06372.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GC19 said:

Wow. First I’ve heard anything like that .  . . from anybody. At least in the last year or so. 

E2F98897-3456-4C7C-944A-810A2CA06372.jpeg

This was within probably the last month or so. Right now there’s a lot of talk about bigger offers but nobody is jumping yet. It makes me wonder what they are waiting on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DC2345 said:

This was within probably the last month or so. Right now there’s a lot of talk about bigger offers but nobody is jumping yet. It makes me wonder what they are waiting on.

I just think there is a TON of kids that are below the radar and teams want to see more from them because of covid last year. Half the kids either had no season or abbreviated ones...23 kids are still two years away so waiting til after aau and into their school season wouldn't put them too far behind. Like you said there are many mid majors etc that are just now catching up on the kid. I know @Boiler Sam  said we shouldn't wait too long but I think programs that typically offer top 100 kids are going to sit back and access after the AAU year is over. Not many will also offer til they've had them take a visit...how many have done that for the 23 class? The landscape for the 23 kids has changed so much since the last time they were evaluated the rankings outside the clear 5* are all over the place. Heck 22 kids aren't fully evaluated. There is a numbers crunch with kids already in the program having extra year etc. I think only sure fire 4* and above kids are going to get offers in 23 right now from high major programs. Northwestern who can't sit back made one. Hearing Wichita St might be close. I agree it's probably too early for OSU, IU, Purdue who are all talking to him to be offering but if you are a MVC coach...and you haven't made a move yet...good luck!! I know ISU offered last year so they saw potential even when they were likely scouting his teammate Lincoln. Those guys should be wanting to get in early and make those impressions and sell him early because if you wait around til the big dawgs get serious...well your offer isn't likely to have the same effect. I will admit...before May...I could understand the hesitancy...because he had taken a back seat for a smaller school (albeit a very successful program). He played that complimentary roll...did the coaches son thing of doing whatever the team needed which might not been scoring first. But now...the cat is out of the bag...and I imagine if that accessment hasn't changed...it will be too late...and perhaps those lower mid major schools have seen that and seen the big schools already sniffing around and decided it isn't worth their time as he is going to get better offers and playing his way to a higher scholarship.

Edited by dgambill

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I just think there is a TON of kids that are below the radar and teams want to see more from them because of covid last year. Half the kids either had no season or abbreviated ones...23 kids are still two years away so waiting til after aau and into their school season wouldn't put them too far behind. Like you said there are many mid majors etc that are just now catching up on the kid. I know @Boiler Sam  said we shouldn't wait too long but I think programs that typically offer top 100 kids are going to sit back and access after the AAU year is over. Not many will also offer til they've had them take a visit...how many have done that for the 23 class? The landscape for the 23 kids has changed so much since the last time they were evaluated the rankings outside the clear 5* are all over the place. Heck 22 kids aren't fully evaluated. There is a numbers crunch with kids already in the program having extra year etc. I think only sure fire 4* and above kids are going to get offers in 23 right now from high major programs. Northwestern who can't sit back made one. Hearing Wichita St might be close. I agree it's probably too early for OSU, IU, Purdue who are all talking to him to be offering but if you are a MVC coach...and you haven't made a move yet...good luck!! I know ISU offered last year so they saw potential even when they were likely scouting his teammate Lincoln. Those guys should be wanting to get in early and make those impressions and sell him early because if you wait around til the big dawgs get serious...well your offer isn't likely to have the same effect. I will admit...before May...I could understand the hesitancy...because he had taken a back seat for a smaller school (albeit a very successful program). He played that complimentary roll...did the coaches son thing of doing whatever the team needed which might not been scoring first. But now...the cat is out of the bag...and I imagine if that accessment hasn't changed...it will be too late.

The portal could be a factor with some of these kids too. Do you offer the HS kid who might take a year to crack the rotation, or the plug and play guy in the portal next spring? Not sure there’s a right or wrong answer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

The portal could be a factor with some of these kids too. Do you offer the HS kid who might take a year to crack the rotation, or the plug and play guy in the portal next spring? Not sure there’s a right or wrong answer. 

Yep...plus you have guys with extra years availability so do you recruit a kid that might sit for a couple years and then transfer on you because they can't fight their way into the rotation....yep so many options. The extra year thing I do think has thrown a huge wrench into the recruiting landscape and honestly those kids that sit 100-150 are going to have the most difficulty deciding to on those major offers who might have a log jam or instant playing time at a mid major or below. I think a lot of kids might take a year or two at a mid major and then evaluate on moving up using the transfer portal later. Difficult with so much uncertainty to tie that future to a school unless you have a clear path laid out for you and many schools can't do that with so much eligibility still left.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:51 PM, DC2345 said:

I think he’ll be fine. I’ve seen him play recently and I think more HM offers will be coming in. As others have said, it’s still early, especially for a kid who maybe hasn’t received as much hype as others (yet).  
The thing about the MVC school having ‘questions’ blows my mind. I would think most low to mid mid-majors would be inclined not to bother. 
Of course, all this stuff is just opinions and guesses. We will just have to see what happens. 

• Like 1