2023 SG Joey Hart Commits to pUKe

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 2:06 PM, Billingsley99 said:

Cant wait to see his ranking when the new ones come out

If he is ranked at all would be pretty impressive for him. Basically came out of nowhere in regards to the recruiting world. Outside the local people don't think anyone saw him coming.

On 8/25/2021 at 2:06 PM, Billingsley99 said:

Cant wait to see his ranking when the new ones come out

A few different scouting services/media outlets have him 4th in the state. Haven’t seen him lower than 5th this year. I don’t believe he’s ranked on Rivals.  Of course, rankings mean nothing, but I find it fun. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GC19 said:

A few different scouting services/media outlets have him 4th in the state. Haven’t seen him lower than 5th this year. I don’t believe he’s ranked on Rivals.  Of course, rankings mean nothing, but I find it fun. 

His dad was a great shooter....scored 30pts a game in HS and was always over 40% 3pt shooter...but my goodness the kid is way way more athletic then him. Hope he keeps getting better and better. Great example for local kids.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 3:18 PM, dgambill said:

I still think he has a lot of maturing to do in his game...especially on the defensive end...but I agree with the HART of your arguement lol!!

To your point about length....a 6'5 shooting guard who is as bouncy as he is, he would still fill the prototype.  Plus Woody has made it clear that he wants shooting.

My only question, and it could be completely ill-founded, is how he moves in terms of defensive quickness.  I know he can jump, but that's a different form of athleticism from lateral quickness (and also leaping quickness).  

I said this before, but instead of being tucked away in a smaller town, if he were in Indy or Ft Wayne or the Region, he'd probably be getting much more buzz.  Let's see how he develops, but he compares favorably to Goode and Barnhizer IMO. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I said this before, but instead of being tucked away in a smaller town, if he were in Indy or Ft Wayne or the Region, he'd probably be getting much more buzz.  Let's see how he develops, but he compares favorably to Goode and Barnhizer IMO. 

You hit the nail on the head there. He’s not better than Fears and maybe Booker, but it would be a challenge to say anybody else in-state is better. 

On 9/3/2021 at 3:47 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

To your point about length....a 6'5 shooting guard who is as bouncy as he is, he would still fill the prototype.  Plus Woody has made it clear that he wants shooting.

My only question, and it could be completely ill-founded, is how he moves in terms of defensive quickness.  I know he can jump, but that's a different form of athleticism from lateral quickness (and also leaping quickness).  

He needs work on his defense for sure. Still needs to work on tightening his handle too. Let’s just see how he develops this year…I don’t see him committing anytime soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Still no offer, but there at least seems to be some mutual interest.  I’m told UCF Coach Johnny Dawkins was in to see him within the last couple weeks. And he will be going on an official visit to UCF sometime this month. UCF and Cincinnati will be joining the Big 12 either this year or next. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2021 at 11:23 AM, GC19 said:

Still no offer, but there at least seems to be some mutual interest.  I’m told UCF Coach Johnny Dawkins was in to see him within the last couple weeks. And he will be going on an official visit to UCF sometime this month. UCF and Cincinnati will be joining the Big 12 either this year or next. 

at first it looks like Zay has a frizzy man bun tied up in the back.

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Gsruw

He has a nice high release that helps him shoot over guys and sneaky athleticism. We need shooters but I think we will be on bigger fish if Woody's recruiting continues as it has been.

On 2/18/2022 at 6:10 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

What kind of year is Joey having?  Are we still recruiting him?  Recruiting seems to have gone radio silent.

Probably pretty quiet...he plays at a small school so the competition isn't going to garner a lot of talk. He is quietly playing well from what I've seen. I think the real question will be this AAU season against stiffer competition. I'd say a long shot for an IU offer...but the kid can shoot no doubt.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Gsruw

He has a nice high release that helps him shoot over guys and sneaky athleticism. We need shooters but I think we will be on bigger fish if Woody's recruiting continues as it has been.

Probably pretty quiet...he plays at a small school so the competition isn't going to garner a lot of talk. He is quietly playing well from what I've seen. I think the real question will be this AAU season against stiffer competition. I'd say a long shot for an IU offer...but the kid can shoot no doubt.

From what I saw, he has good size for a 2-guard and he can really jump.

IMO, we should always have some of those tough Indiana boys.  Not a whole roster necessarily, but it is something we can use to distinguish ourselves.  The state produces that tough, skilled, Indiana boy who may not be a McD AA but does the right things.  The list is endless.  Coverdale, Brian Evans, on and on.  

When they go somewhere else, it's painful.  We don't have enough room for them all, but we should always have a flavor of it.  Just my IMO as a 47 year fan who has seen that movie a gazillion times.

Maybe it's not Hart.  I don't know enough about him.  But we should have some of them.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

From what I saw, he has good size for a 2-guard and he can really jump.

IMO, we should always have some of those tough Indiana boys.  Not a whole roster necessarily, but it is something we can use to distinguish ourselves.  The state produces that tough, skilled, Indiana boy who may not be a McD AA but does the right things.  The list is endless.  Coverdale, Brian Evans, on and on.  

When they go somewhere else, it's painful.  We don't have enough room for them all, but we should always have a flavor of it.  Just my IMO as a 47 year fan who has seen that movie a gazillion times.

Maybe it's not Hart.  I don't know enough about him.  But we should have some of them.

Yep...guys that want to play for their state team and willing to put in the work to get better and earn their playing time. I don't know if Hart qualifies as tough nosed etc. In fact I think he could be much more aggressive and he needs to get stronger...but he has a very nice shot. High release to get it off even with a hand in his face...wonderful stroke....and he has sneaky athleticism...gets up off the floor quickly.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Yep...guys that want to play for their state team and willing to put in the work to get better and earn their playing time. I don't know if Hart qualifies as tough nosed etc. In fact I think he could be much more aggressive and he needs to get smarter...but he has a very nice shot. High release to get it off even with a hand in his face...wonderful stroke....and he has sneaky athleticism...gets up off the floor quickly.

Yep, when i saw his clips, i was startled at how he got off the floor.  It "jumps" off the screen.  You can't miss it.