2023 SG Joey Hart Commits to pUKe

Probably a long shot to get an offer but since we have over 100 pages on Luke Brown I thought I'd give a hometown kid some love too. 😝 His dad coached my JV team and his grandfather my Varsity team. Currently plays for the Linton Miners. 6'5 with a confident stroke and will take it to the basket finishing with either hand. Get's his shot from his dad who played at Coastal Carolina and his jumping from his mom who was a volleyball player in college (definitely not his dad). Coaches kid, plays smart, not the quickest of foot but much more athletic then his dad was. Will have to get stronger. Has room to grow. Can't imbed his video but has some good highlights on hudl. Think he is going to really come into his own the next couple years and will be keeping a close eye on him.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2FNMam

• Like 3

It will be interesting to see how his career plays out.  You may know more about this than me, but I've heard his dad is moving on from Linton, heard rumors but nothing concrete.  He kind of played second fiddle to Lincoln Hale at times there.  Speaking of Hale, any ideas on what is going on with him?  Heard he decomitted from ISU then haven't heard a word there either.  

Back to Joey, I agree it is probably a long shot.  I have seen him play live a few games and he doesn't seem like a high major to me, at least not yet.  Some of that could have been deferring to Hale too.  He seems like he would be a nice player for an ISU or mid major program, but probably not a high major in my opinion.

• Like 3

I don’t know, I don’t think it’s that far out of the realm of possibility. His Dad (also Joey and also his HS coach) told me he’s spoken and texted with one of IU’s assistants. He holds offers from ISU and New Orleans and I know for a fact he’s visiting Northwestern in June, and they’re recruiting him pretty hard. So maybe not too crazy of a thought. He’s gotten a lot of attention on Twitter since AAU started, so maybe that’s spurring some interest. 

I haven’t heard anything from Hale either. I would think he’d need to make a decision soon given how crazy things are right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gnet550 said:

It will be interesting to see how his career plays out.  You may know more about this than me, but I've heard his dad is moving on from Linton, heard rumors but nothing concrete.  He kind of played second fiddle to Lincoln Hale at times there.  Speaking of Hale, any ideas on what is going on with him?  Heard he decomitted from ISU then haven't heard a word there either.  

Back to Joey, I agree it is probably a long shot.  I have seen him play live a few games and he doesn't seem like a high major to me, at least not yet.  Some of that could have been deferring to Hale too.  He seems like he would be a nice player for an ISU or mid major program, but probably not a high major in my opinion.

I don't think Joey Hart his father is moving on at least with him still in school. That family has been a part of that community Bloomfield, Dugger, Shakamak, Linton for a long time. I'm pretty sure he got an offer from Loogootee a couple years ago and turned it down. It's a pretty tight knit community where he is and Linton supports their sports teams pretty well but who knows. Haven't heard anything about Lincoln either...when ISU let their coach go he opened back up his recruitment. If I had to pick one I'd say Indiana Wesleyan....or something similar. I think he will take a year or two at a school like that and then transfer up if things work out. The transfer portal and the extra year means a lot of Freshman are left looking for a home on the D1 level.

I think Joey will be a much higher level recruit then Lincoln. He has a lot of filling out to do but I think his size/skill combo will get him some mid major D1 offers for sure. I also think you will see him much more aggressive as he will be a junior next year and the leader of that team. Already seeing that in his AAU ball. Playing with more confidence and purpose. I know he is a long shot but I see guys like Nick Baumgart mention him so I figure why not give a local kid a shout out. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I don't think Joey Hart his father is moving on at least with him still in school. That family has been a part of that community Bloomfield, Dugger, Shakamak, Linton for a long time. I'm pretty sure he got an offer from Loogootee a couple years ago and turned it down. It's a pretty tight knit community where he is and Linton supports their sports teams pretty well but who knows. Haven't heard anything about Lincoln either...when ISU let their coach go he opened back up his recruitment. If I had to pick one I'd say Indiana Wesleyan....or something similar. I think he will take a year or two at a school like that and then transfer up if things work out. The transfer portal and the extra year means a lot of Freshman are left looking for a home on the D1 level.

I think Joey will be a much higher level recruit then Lincoln. He has a lot of filling out to do but I think his size/skill combo will get him some mid major D1 offers for sure. I also think you will see him much more aggressive as he will be a junior next year and the leader of that team. Already seeing that in his AAU ball. Playing with more confidence and purpose. I know he is a long shot but I see guys like Nick Baumgart mention him so I figure why not give a local kid a shout out. 

Completely understand, it would be great to see a kid that goes to a school 20 minutes from where I grew up make it to IU.  I agree that he will probably stand out more and be more of the leader.  It is hard when you are sophomore with another division I recruit that is a senior to take over.  It will be fun to watch him grow, fill out, and lead his team.

The rumor I heard was Joey (dad) wanted to get the WRV position, I don't know how much I buy into it, but that is what was going around.  Will be interesting to see where he goes, if he does leave.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gnet550 said:

Completely understand, it would be great to see a kid that goes to a school 20 minutes from where I grew up make it to IU.  I agree that he will probably stand out more and be more of the leader.  It is hard when you are sophomore with another division I recruit that is a senior to take over.  It will be fun to watch him grow, fill out, and lead his team.

The rumor I heard was Joey (dad) wanted to get the WRV position, I don't know how much I buy into it, but that is what was going around.  Will be interesting to see where he goes, if he does leave.

Joey has been looking at other jobs. That is a fact. Will he move on this year or next? I can find out tomorrow if he’s actually chasing any of the current open coaching jobs in the state. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2021 at 8:42 PM, DC2345 said:

Joey has been looking at other jobs. That is a fact. Will he move on this year or next? I can find out tomorrow if he’s actually chasing any of the current open coaching jobs in the state. 

What did you find out?  

• Like 1

Little bit of news. IU and Purdue have both been in contact via phone calls within the past week to his Dad/coach. I’m not super familiar with the recruiting process.  I’m inclined to think they’re not recruiting him as of now, just watching.  Still, it’s exciting news for this Greene County native. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 9:51 AM, GC19 said:

Little bit of news. IU and Purdue have both been in contact via phone calls within the past week to his Dad/coach. I’m not super familiar with the recruiting process.  I’m inclined to think they’re not recruiting him as of now, just watching.  Still, it’s exciting news for this Greene County native. 

That's great to hear schools are reaching out. Long way to go for the kid but at least he is getting feedback and if he takes that extra leap would be exciting to watch in candy stripes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see he is on the radar. Has a lot to improve upon but I have no doubt he will do whatever he can to get there. I wonder if they will ask him to move up in competition. Linton plays a really good schedule for small schools but it's still miles behind the bigger conferences in the state.

On 5/7/2021 at 12:20 AM, GC19 said:

What did you find out?  

I think he just decided to stay for this year unless their is a surprise opening. He was 100% sniffing around some jobs and at least one of those may have been viewed as a lateral move in some peoples eyes. 

• Thanks 1

He looks like he’s got a surprisingly  good vertical and decent length.  Is he an extremely good sniper from range?  That would seem to be critical for him.

Having said that, even if he’s a B1G prospect, we only have so many spots.  If we don’t offer him he seems like the type of player Iowa would go after, going back to Jeff Moe and on.  

Not having seen them play, one guy who looks really good to me is Schutt from Illinois.  He looks tough.  I think Fife is on him.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He looks like he’s got a surprisingly  good vertical and decent length.  Is he an extremely good sniper from range?  That would seem to be critical for him.

Having said that, even if he’s a B1G prospect, we only have so many spots.  If we don’t offer him he seems like the type of player Iowa would go after, going back to Jeff Moe and on.  

Not having seen them play, one guy who looks really good to me is Schutt from Illinois.  He looks tough.  I think Fife is on him.  

He is a really good shooter yes. He had another senior on his team that committed to Indiana St before the coaching change. He hasn’t had to be overly assertive. Think that is really going to change. Sneaky athleticism I would say at this point. His father was definitely a sniper back in the day. Avg 30pts a game as a senior in HS. One of my all time favorites growing up. Starred at VU then helped take Coastal Carolina to ncaa. His dad was probably like a 40% 3pt shooter for his career. He was very similar size but he had virtually no athleticism lol. Son takes after his mom there. I doubt he gets an offer from us but do think he will play high major ball and maybe end up at a lower power 6 school. Long ways to go but he is coming into his own now for sure.

Edited by dgambill
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I think he just decided to stay for this year unless their is a surprise opening. He was 100% sniffing around some jobs and at least one of those may have been viewed as a lateral move in some peoples eyes. 

I heard the same today actually. Heard the one he wanted their may have been a clash with an administrative or board member....so looks like he is staying out for now.

Edited by gnet550

On 5/25/2021 at 10:14 AM, GC19 said:

Yes, I assume so. I could definitely be wrong, but I don’t believe 2023s can take officials yet. Not sure when that can occur, though.

I kid you not, the night after I wrote this, the man himself, Bill Self (not an assistant) called about Joey. I don’t know how good he is. I know he struggled (for lack of a better word) playing with Lincoln Hale and was better than he played. But I know he’s having a monster AAU season so far, and if Kansas is showing interest, there’s got to be something special there.
However, I think a lot of the recruiting process is about fit and maybe not so much how good they are now, but how good they’re projected to be two years from now, their ceiling.  Everybody evaluates that differently. But I do think he’s high major judging by the interest he’s getting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GC19 said:

I kid you not, the night after I wrote this, the man himself, Bill Self (not an assistant) called about Joey. I don’t know how good he is. I know he struggled (for lack of a better word) playing with Lincoln Hale and was better than he played. But I know he’s having a monster AAU season so far, and if Kansas is showing interest, there’s got to be something special there.
However, I think a lot of the recruiting process is about fit and maybe not so much how good they are now, but how good they’re projected to be two years from now, their ceiling.  Everybody evaluates that differently. But I do think he’s high major judging by the interest he’s getting. 

Just from what I viewed and from family Joey just seemed to defer to Lincoln...who is an excellent ball player and a good leader on the court. Not sure if it was just his personality but I fully thought he could have shouldered more of that team but it had other good players too. I think now with the run way cleared he is set to take off. Nothing to hold him back and knowing this he is determined to use the summer to prepare himself to take over. It seems this assertiveness is serving him well. I think he will certainly take off next year and of course he will only be a junior then...so it will only pick up from there with the recruiting. If his dad's competitiveness rubs off on him...he will be someone to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Offered by Northwestern a couple days ago....just finished up an unofficial with Purdue....hearing from several others like Iowa, Butler, Virginia, Cincy  among several top mid majors like ISU, Belmont, and Lipscomb. Continues to get noticed...hope his travel success translates into his HS season.

• Like 1

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Good for him.  Northwestern is a really solid offer.   There’s still a ton of time to get more offers.  

Yep...kind of a late bloomer on the scene if you will. I think he will pick up several more in the next couple years if he keeps working hard as he is. I think he has a lot of untapped potential.

• Like 2