Jump to content

Kaleb Banks (2022) Commits to Indiana!


Recommended Posts

The two guys I’d love to get to finish off this class are Clowney and Schifino.  That would be quite the class, IMO, for a first year coach.

Clowney, long and rangy, ideal complement to Duncomb.

Banks.  A long and skilled three man with the potential to be a well rounded two way player.  

Schifino.  Big time talent and skill.  Great size and versatility.  

Gunn.  Good length and potential to get better. 

Net result, a group of long, agile guys who can run, develop into defenders,  have skill etc.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The two guys I’d love to get to finish off this class are Clowney and Schifino.  That would be quite the class, IMO, for a first year coach.

Clowney, long and rangy, ideal complement to Duncomb.

Banks.  A long and skilled three man with the potential to be a well rounded two way player.  

Schifino.  Big time talent and skill.  Great size and versatility.  

Gunn.  Good length and potential to get better. 

Net result, a group of long, agile guys who can run, develop into defenders,  have skill etc.  

I feel the same 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Had a former Bama player that is very connected to the program tell me Yasir is a great guy, but never closed recruits.  I tried to explain recruiting to IU and Bama is different.  Hope this is just the start.  Love this commitment. 

He does not need to close the recruits, just reel them in so that Woody can close the deal :)!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Between2Halls said:

I feel the same 

For the 50 and over group I think there's a lot of Marcus Liberty/ Sean Higgins to him. If you look back at their college stats, size, and game I feel he'll be that type of impact for us. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

He does not need to close the recruits, just reel them in so that Woody can close the deal :)!

Very true. I tried politely explaining that to my friend.  Woody closing at IU is MUCH different than Avery Johnson  trying to close at Bama.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ba43056 said:

For the 50 and over group I think there's a lot of Marcus Liberty/ Sean Higgins to him. If you look back at their college stats, size, and game I feel he'll be that type of impact for us. 

Both of those guys were studs!  Marcus Liberty was the #1 player in the country. He was in the SI issue with David Robinson on the cover that had Damon Bailey, Alonzo Mourning, and Kenny Anderson as the top players in their respective classes.  Really looking forward to watching Kaleb play and how he develops. He seems like the perfect fit for what CMW wants to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Banks fits the program CMW and his staff have said they want to build. He's a shooter, can get up and down the court, guard multiple positions, handle the ball, and I've seen multiple references to his toughness. He's going to be able to do a lot of things well once he learns the system. The fact he's already 215 lbs means he will likely be 225+ by the time he steps on the court.   

Some will get caught up in the rankings. I would only be concerned if they bring in guys that do not fit what they have already defined as the type of player they are looking to add. 

Weclome to Kaleb and his family. Great job CMW and your coaching staff.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Banks fits the program CMW and his staff have said they want to build. He's a shooter, can get up and down the court, guard multiple positions, handle the ball, and I've seen multiple references to his toughness. He's going to be able to do a lot of things well once he learns the system. The fact he's already 215 lbs means he will likely be 225+ by the time he steps on the court.   

Some will get caught up in the rankings. I would only be concerned if they bring in guys that do not fit what they have already defined as the type of player they are looking to add. 

Weclome to Kaleb and his family. Great job CMW and your coaching staff.

 

I'd say we can basically toss rankings out the window for the most part with the 22 class. So little data to go off of. I'd say it's more about identifying guys like you said that fit your system and not worry about a relative number. I can imagine there are going to be some big misses in that class and several under the radar kids that come out of nowhere. I think it important that we are going after guys we have had a lot of contact with through our assistants and have even worked directly with them. I feel content we will find quality players to add to our team.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

eh, i haven't argued all summer, so i guess i'll rile some people up... i get annoyed with all of the rankings don't matter stuff.  sure, it's far from a science.  sure you have your dwyane wades and oladipos.  sure you have plenty of busts too.  still, people who say rankings don't matter are from teams who can't get highly ranked recruits.  pretty rare that you get a highly ranked guy and everyone says, eh, who care about rankings?  this guy won't be any good.  anyway, now that i have everyone riled up, i'm not at all saying that about Banks.  i have never seen him play.  what i always think is telling is who else recruited him hard.  looks like AL, Clemson, GA, GT.  not a bad group.  wouldn't mind seeing a little higher level group, but not bad.  we'll see.  

Agree.

To me rankings matter as much as you want them to. Just like with any other ranking that are subjective while trying to be or posing as objective, they can't be accurate with all the players. There's just too many of them. Plus are they ranking them for college or pro or past results (HS or AAU)? Too many variables. 

As you point out there are plenty of booms and busts, but even looking at offers isn't foolproof. Recently, Ja Morant comes to mind, ending up at Murray State and not having any big time offers. Like Wade and Oladipo, is it really a ranking "miss" or did Morant, Wade, and Oladipo just put in the work in college to make themselves NBA talents (long after their rankings were locked in/over)? I think it's more of the latter. Rankings can't account for what a player does or doesn't do once they, so like any prediction it is difficult to be greater than 50/50. 

There are plenty of problems with rankings, but I agree with your disagreement that they don't matter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

eh, i haven't argued all summer, so i guess i'll rile some people up... i get annoyed with all of the rankings don't matter stuff.  sure, it's far from a science.  sure you have your dwyane wades and oladipos.  sure you have plenty of busts too.  still, people who say rankings don't matter are from teams who can't get highly ranked recruits.  pretty rare that you get a highly ranked guy and everyone says, eh, who care about rankings?  this guy won't be any good.  anyway, now that i have everyone riled up, i'm not at all saying that about Banks.  i have never seen him play.  what i always think is telling is who else recruited him hard.  looks like AL, Clemson, GA, GT.  not a bad group.  wouldn't mind seeing a little higher level group, but not bad.  we'll see.  

I watch and this kid has all the tools and skills that look like a top 100 player. Not elite but a kid like Jordan Geronimo that would be in that 80-100 range with a lot of upside. I think lack of viewable games and time for bigger programs to sniff around is why he is where he is. You can see regionally schools that have a footprint in his area and can locally recruit identified he was a good player. Let's be real...without Yasir we wouldn't have even known about him...much like most analyst. Very happy we expanded our recruiting base and just like JG...I think we have a nice piece that in a couple years will make a very fine addition to our rotation.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I watch and this kid has all the tools and skills that look like a top 100 player. Not elite but a kid like Jordan Geronimo that would be in that 80-100 range with a lot of upside. I think lack of viewable games and time for bigger programs to sniff around is why he is where he is. You can see regionally schools that have a footprint in his area and can locally recruit identified he was a good player. Let's be real...without Yasir we wouldn't have even known about him...much like most analyst. Very happy we expanded our recruiting base and just like JG...I think we have a nice piece that in a couple years will make a very fine addition to our rotation.

I would hope we move to the point where we aren’t happy to compare kids to Jordan Geronimo, hoping he turns into something. Rather getting kids that, more times than not, can compete right away. We’ve seen flashes of positivity from JG, but I don’t have much confidence he’s absolutely going to be a big contributor this year. Believe it when I see it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I would hope we move to the point where we aren’t happy to compare kids to Jordan Geronimo, hoping he turns into something. Rather getting kids that, more times than not, can compete right away. We’ve seen flashes of positivity from JG, but I don’t have much confidence he’s absolutely going to be a big contributor this year. Believe it when I see it. 

Well...we have one in Tamar Bates....and I'm hoping we can land another like JHS....but as of yet we just haven't made that leap to a class full of top 50 kids. I do hope we live there in the near future as well but for now we are going to have to make our bread and butter developing kids in the 75-150 range (4 yr kids). The past 5-6 years we couldn't even develop those kids into major contributors so I'll start my way there and build on that. Player development has been a major disappointment in my eyes under Archie. I don't see a big separation in most high 3-4 middle star kids. Identifying the ones that can make that leap or have that drive is what we need. We should always be able to sprinkle in those top 25-30 talents along the way with our brand. We just haven't surrounded them with guys that are able to compliment them in the past.

Edited by dgambill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...