General cooking thread.

We love anything Mexican in our house. This week Kroger had a special on turkey burger so I bought 3lbs. and before last night it's always the same prep on stovetop. First time I ever cooked turkey burger in slow cooker and honestly I don't think I'll go back to range anytime soon. 

3lbs turkey burger, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and 2 seasoning packets along with 2 cups of salsa poured over top. Low cook for 6 hours and done. I would break up the meat every couple of hours otherwise it turned out great. I was hesitant in slow cooker for ground beef but won't go back to the range anytime soon.

• Like 5

Bringing this one over from the Crock Pot thread from days of yore...

I know a lot of folks on here grew up in Indiana, so here's an Indiana staple...Beef and noodles. Never seen it anywhere else, but my Mom made it on a regular basis when I was a kid...I made up this crock pot recipe a few years back...easy-peasy

The Crock-Pot method.

32 oz of beef broth 

2-3 lb chuck roast 

24 oz bag if Reames frozen egg noodles

Put the roast in the crock pot and cover it with the beef broth

Cook low for 7 hours 

Shred the roast 

Dump the Reames noodles in and cook on low for an additional 90 minutes

Best over mashed potatoes (starch city, baby)

20190809_084744.jpg

Attach13264_20181101_194702.jpg

• Like 3

Just had homemade shrimp tacos and elote.  Alot of meals anymore we just make up our own recipes using what's in the house. 

For the Elote we used a bag of frozen corn, onion, red bell pepper, yellow squash, cilantro, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, half a lime juiced, and believe it or not parmesan cheese. 

Parmesan is a substitute for cojita cheese which we didnt have. 

Cooked it up in a cast iron using avocado oil. Turned out really well. 

Just makes me impatient for fresh sweet corn.😬

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Making my wife a belated anniversary dinner. Home made crab ravioli. Yes im making the pasta, filling and the alfredo. 

And Italian style cheesecake but in cupcake form. From scratch, out of my head. 

I used to do something like this every valentines and anniversary day but been a few years. 

Here is the cheesecake. Will have pics of ravioli if i can get one before she eats it. Lol!

20210727_204606.jpg

• Like 6

• 9 months later...
11 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Making a homemade marinara tonight and I... nailed it!

I've started cooking a lot more the last two years and am really enjoying it. Very (very) slowly, I'm starting to build a rotation of good dishes.

What are some of your faves?

Oven roasted fennel and beets is a go to side for me. Olive oil, salt and pepper, 15 ish minutes on 400 degrees. 

• 6 months later...
On 5/27/2022 at 9:10 PM, MoyeCowbell said:

Making a homemade marinara tonight and I... nailed it!

I've started cooking a lot more the last two years and am really enjoying it. Very (very) slowly, I'm starting to build a rotation of good dishes.

What are some of your faves?

We made a homemade marinara the other night for our meat ball subs. Solid stuff, man. 

-Spaghetti... cook slice mushroom, green peppers, and onions IN the sauce. Put the veggies in raw. I cook a pound of burger and put in there later on in the process. Cook the noodles, yadda yadda. I like some sort of bread with it... even just regular white bread with garlic powder and butter isn't bad. 

-Smoked Chili-- Idk if you have a smoker, but it's good shit. 

-Burgers- I make them about 5 or 6 different ways. 

-Chicken Pesto sammies-- with a hot pepper mix on a bun. Damn good

-Nashville hot chicken sammies-- pickle, mayo, my wife's favorite 

-Smoked meatballs (subs)-- solid and easy. 

-Stuffed peppers in the insta pot

-Stir fry or Hibachi on my blackstone-- usually make a homemade yum yum sauce

-I meal prep breakfast for the week a lot of times, as well. pound of sausage crumbled up, browned with onions and garlic powder, throw A LOT of eggs with it, green/red peppers.... use it for breakfast burritos to just warm up. Add a slice of cheese to it. Or I will patty the sausage and do English Muffin breakfast sandwiches. Always toast the muffins on the blackstone. 

-I'll be real... when are in a pinch or simply don't want to cook that much for the week.... we might take 2lbs of burger and make a double batch of hamburger helper, or 3 cans of tuna and make a double batch of Tuna helper. No idea what your taste buds are like, but I actually don't make it at all lol 

oh... and Tacos. Do a lot of tacos... lots of different ways to do those, too. Cook those on the blackstone. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 7:38 AM, btownqb said:

We made a homemade marinara the other night for our meat ball subs. Solid stuff, man. 

-Spaghetti... cook slice mushroom, green peppers, and onions IN the sauce. Put the veggies in raw. I cook a pound of burger and put in there later on in the process. Cook the noodles, yadda yadda. I like some sort of bread with it... even just regular white bread with garlic powder and butter isn't bad. 

-Smoked Chili-- Idk if you have a smoker, but it's good shit. 

-Burgers- I make them about 5 or 6 different ways. 

-Chicken Pesto sammies-- with a hot pepper mix on a bun. Damn good

-Nashville hot chicken sammies-- pickle, mayo, my wife's favorite 

-Smoked meatballs (subs)-- solid and easy. 

-Stuffed peppers in the insta pot

-Stir fry or Hibachi on my blackstone-- usually make a homemade yum yum sauce

-I meal prep breakfast for the week a lot of times, as well. pound of sausage crumbled up, browned with onions and garlic powder, throw A LOT of eggs with it, green/red peppers.... use it for breakfast burritos to just warm up. Add a slice of cheese to it. Or I will patty the sausage and do English Muffin breakfast sandwiches. Always toast the muffins on the blackstone. 

-I'll be real... when are in a pinch or simply don't want to cook that much for the week.... we might take 2lbs of burger and make a double batch of hamburger helper, or 3 cans of tuna and make a double batch of Tuna helper. No idea what your taste buds are like, but I actually don't make it at all lol 

oh... and Tacos. Do a lot of tacos... lots of different ways to do those, too. Cook those on the blackstone. 

Nice. Sounds like you try a lot of different things. I'm all about variety and experimenting... sometimes I know what I'm doing, most of the times I don't, but I'll discover things I like.

Funny little story, my ex (who was born and raised in SoCal) is Brazilian (mom from Rio) and she makes a delicious Feijoada (traditional Brazilian dish of black beans on rice with sausage, topped with farofa, usually served with collard greens). It's delicious comfort food and I wanted to learn how to make it, but she would always take over because she could do it so much better (sad truth).

So I said, well, when it's my turn to cook, I'm going to make spaghetti with hamburger. She looked at me like I had a third eye. I was using the wrong terminology (thanks to my midwest upbringing)... while I was referring to ground beef/Spaghetti Bolognese, she was picturing spaghetti with an actual hamburger on top.

I've since learned how to make a decent Bolognese, using a whole lot of time and patience. Make a soffritto to start, then sauté fresh ground beef and pork (always from the butcher); I also use ground sausage, remove the meat from the casing and simmer that in red wine until all the liquid is absorbed in the meat -- this is a critical step!! Once you have all those elements cooked and drained of excess fat, combine in dutch oven with San Marzano crushed tomatoes/passata and cook low and slowwwwwww.

Add fresh pasta (wide noodles are best), some shaved parmesan and voila! Add a simple arugula salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, salt, pepper... and the wine. So good.

• Like 4

I absolutely love Cuban food. Pretty much impossible to find in Southern Indiana.  There was a lady in Jasper selling it out of her house for awhile but that got shut down.  

So I found some pre-made packaged cuban black beans yesterday on Amazon and ordered them. Next week I'm going to give mojo pork, cilantro lime rice with those black beans my best effort. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I absolutely love Cuban food. Pretty much impossible to find in Southern Indiana.  There was a lady in Jasper selling it out of her house for awhile but that got shut down.  

So I found some pre-made packaged cuban black beans yesterday on Amazon and ordered them. Next week I'm going to give mojo pork, cilantro lime rice with those black beans my best effort. 

I also love Cuban! You need to try your hand at Ropa Vieja!

• Like 1

I do most of my cooking in cast iron.  My wife can't figure out cast iron cooking.  She follows this guy who calls his content FlavCity. He contracted with a company to make cookware. His stuff went up for sale Dec 1st. I bought his 2 12" skillets. One regular the other has a ceramic coating. I thought they might be too big then I remember my wife is always losing food over the sides of our 10".  Paid $134 for both. 

Screenshot_20221206-113546_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e9e364e7091cd977e72b2220486cc0e2.jpg

• Like 1