Noah Clowney (2022) Commits to Alabama

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

According to Cavanagh he was possibly the best player on the court yesterday. 

And I don't know why everyone is overreacting.  Big men are overrated. 

Purdue+v+Indiana+_MFnuimjCEsx.jpg

Guards and wings win in the tournament. Purdue’s best player is almost always a big and look how that’s worked out. Outside of their run with Edwards and maybe this year if Ivey plays the way he’s being hyped.

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Guards and wings win in the tournament. Purdue’s best player is almost always a big and look how that’s worked out. Outside of their run with Edwards and maybe this year if Ivey plays the way he’s being hyped.

Ivey didn't do so well in the exhibition...5-14 from the field I think...

But, it WAS an exhibition...

Last year I saw him be the best player on the court at times, and other times he forced it so badly Trevion Williams would get on him...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

They aren’t giving their opinion. They are relaying information that they are hearing from whatever source that they have that may be within or near the program. And they do this month(s) in advance not two days before. If people can’t handle the speculations, they shouldn’t be on the recruiting forum reading anything that doesn’t say committed to their names. If we can’t handle the misses maybe we should wait for the crystal ball predictions to come out. People also complain that the crystal ball predictions don’t come until a day of or hours before. Which is it? 

I don’t want others ruining ruining what I enjoy, which is coming on here and looking at the talk and rumors of recruits. People have been chased away before. 

I think the problem comes from speaking in absolutes. Recruiting is fluid, things can change, etc., but the burden of that disclaimer shouldn't fall on the reader.

We're all screen names on here, with no reason to trust each other except by what gets said on these boards. If someone states a recruit is definitely coming here, and that doesn't happen, I have less trust in that person. I've read a lot that this is an unfair response; to me it's the only natural and expected reaction.

I read these boards to hear what people have to say, I like reading the hot gossip. But if you don't want pushback, couch your language. Make it clear this is what you're hearing at the time, and not definitively what will happen. Maybe it seems obvious to those sharing info, and therefore such framing should be unnecessary, but consider the reader who trusts you, and the disappointment anyone would feel when your assertion proves false.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I think the problem comes from speaking in absolutes. Recruiting is fluid, things can change, etc., but the burden of that disclaimer shouldn't fall on the reader.

We're all screen names on here, with no reason to trust each other except by what gets said on these boards. If someone states a recruit is definitely coming here, and that doesn't happen, I have less trust in that person. I've read a lot that this is an unfair response; to me it's the only natural and expected reaction.

I read these boards to hear what people have to say, I like reading the hot gossip. But if you don't want pushback, couch your language. Make it clear this is what you're hearing at the time, and not definitively what will happen. Maybe it seems obvious to those sharing info, and therefore such framing should be unnecessary, but consider the reader who trusts you, and the disappointment anyone would feel when your assertion proves false.

The burden absolutely falls on the reader. This is a message board not The NY Times. 

This is the internet. 

Again if people can’t handle speculation don’t come to the recruiting message board. Everyone who has visited this thread the last couple days, it is because they want to hear any early information they can get. Otherwise they’d wait til Monday. 

Also, Noah hasn’t committed yet. So people are mad about speculation and rumors that don’t align with the speculation and rumors previously.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

The burden absolutely falls on the reader. This is a message board not The NY Times. 

This is the internet. 

Again if people can’t handle speculation don’t come to the recruiting message board. Everyone who has visited this thread the last couple days, it is because they want to hear any early information they can get. Otherwise they’d wait til Monday. 

Also, Noah hasn’t committed yet. So people are mad about speculation and rumors that don’t align with the speculation and rumors previously.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Are you saying we’re supposed to believe the NY Times? 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

The problem in these situations is always that the insiders here are connected to the program, not to the player. So their inside info is only as good as who they are getting it from. If people inside the program feel good about a recruit, it doesn't actually mean that the recruit is coming, just that the staff feels good about it. 

The real info of value comes from the player's camp. We rarely have that here.

Edit: I don't mean that as a knock on any of the insiders, just that I always take what I hear here lightly for that reason.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

The problem in these situations is always that the insiders here are connected to the program, not to the player. So their inside info is only as good as who they are getting it from. If people inside the program feel good about a recruit, it doesn't actually mean that the recruit is coming, just that the staff feels good about it. 

The real info of value comes from the player's camp. We rarely have that here.

Edit: I don't mean that as a knock on any of the insiders, just that I always take what I hear here lightly for that reason.

So they shouldn't come on here and say it is a locked

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

This is the internet. 

If someone's message is continually getting misinterpreted or a group of people the message is intended for isn't receiving it as intended, then it is squarely the responsibility of the one delivering the message.  

It's not our job to decipher what someone "actually meant". It's not our job to deduce what "done deal" is supposed to mean or not mean. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. 

• Like 5

There are 3 levels of "Insiders"

1. Somehow some way connected to someone currently in the program.  They probably keep things very close to the vest if they ever say anything that is given to them at all.  

2. People that rub elbows with big money boosters.  They pay big money to get as close to the program as possible and ask questions and then tell their buddies and it eventually makes it here, likely 2nd or 3rd hand.  

3.  Then those connected to said player.  In state we may have a better chance at having a family insider.  

When these guys tell us what they are hearing, its likely 2nd, 3rd, or 4th hand from scenario 2.  So lighten up and be thankful that we hear anything at all.  Right or wrong.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

FOOTBALL $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... Got it done for Bama.  CAL has nothing on Nate Oats!!!

With NIL (this is coming from someone who see's a rule, and my very first thought is how I can get around the edges), a kid shows up for an official, there is a bag of $1mill handed him. Sir, this is NIL money if you come here, if you say yes, we will find someone with a car dealership to endorse you and officially give you the bag (oh we have 3 possible endorsers setting in the parking lot). SOOOOO, where are you committing to? sir.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I rather recruiting goes back to the way it use to be when you found out your recruiting class on signing day.  I need to stop listening to so called insiders because they probably don't have that much of inside sources

You can go back to the old days. Stay off chat boards. Easy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

There are 3 levels of "Insiders"

1. Somehow some way connected to someone currently in the program.  They probably keep things very close to the vest if they ever say anything that is given to them at all.  

2. People that rub elbows with big money boosters.  They pay big money to get as close to the program as possible and ask questions and then tell their buddies and it eventually makes it here, likely 2nd or 3rd hand.  

3.  Then those connected to said player.  In state we may have a better chance at having a family insider.  

When these guys tell us what they are hearing, its likely 2nd, 3rd, or 4th hand from scenario 2.  So lighten up and be thankful that we hear anything at all.  Right or wrong.

Great post, pretty much agree with everything. 

Like I've said, I love our people that come and share information and I hope they all continue to do so. I think it's great! 

I just would recommend that they are more clear in their communication, etc.

Then for the rest of us, I'd recommend we all understand that the "inside info" that we get here is more "info" than it is "inside". Even if you know a big money booster, the coaches aren't telling them much that is actually real. Again, I go back to my Celtics example. 

It all has to be taken with a massive grain of salt. 

But people that share info, please do not stop sharing. Most understand what you post isn't meant to be gospel, it's all for fun and enjoying this community. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If someone's message is continually getting misinterpreted or a group of people the message is intended for isn't receiving it as intended, then it is squarely the responsibility of the one delivering the message.  

It's not our job to decipher what someone "actually meant". It's not our job to deduce what "done deal" is supposed to mean or not mean. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. 

So you believe everything you read on the internet?